Thread: New Lee Auto Bench Prime

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    .41 colt use shell holder #1
    44/40 " " " #14
    .32 short & long colt ,.32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 colt NP #4
    .32 acp #7
    perhaps the #11 could be hogged out a bit for the .45 S&W
    Thanks, Merlin. I just might order one. Guess I didn't do my research.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    The Lee Auto Prime II (no longer in production) uses standard shell holders....they work pretty well but as mentioned before, when you get down to the last 10 or so primers in the "chute" you have to help them (primers) to fully engage onto the priming pin. This new bench primer appears to have a steep enough angle that the primers will feed without that issue. If I didn't have the RCBS unit already I would probably try one. I'm also of the camp of not enjoying filling primer tubes.
    Yup, I misspoke. It is the Auto Prime that I have, not the Auto Prime II which I am told is a variation of the Ram Prime.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master

I'm gonna buy one the moment they hit. Looks great. I'm tired of the hand prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I'm gonna buy one the moment they hit. Looks great. I'm tired of the hand prime.

I lost all interest in "hand priming" somewhere in the 90's........I'm always a bit surprised (amazed would be a better description) of the amount of folks that say they get such great "feel" for seating primers with various brands of hand primers. The only "feel" I got was the continuous ache in my hands and forearms after about a hundred or so. I believe a good bench primer with a set primer seating depth is far superior.

Banned

Me too, got to have one, except, I still love my Auto Primes.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-09-2016 at 02:50 PM.

I got my RCBS bench prime system yesterday and really like it…but…have already modified it also.
    I put a 3" piece of 3/4" black radiator hose on the end of the handle to cushion it in the palm of my hand…much better now.
    I also put a small magnet on the handle to hold the pin that you have to pull out of the primer tube…a small thing but 'Murphy' visits my shop from time to time and I try to head him off before he gets here.

HAHAHA…beat you again…Murphy!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'm willing to bet the set does not cover my 41 Colt, my 10.5x47R(Mauser A base), my 44-40, or my 45 S&W. Probably not my 32's either.
    I bet this one does. http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...l-holder-jaws/ Buy it once and use it the rest of your life.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's always been happy with my really olde RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512 .
    for loading usual .175 and .210 inch diameter Boxer primers.
    Screws onto bench, uses shell holders. No primer feed, just my fingers, but suits me Just Fine.
    Kinda scared of "primer feeds" anyhow...

Made a "similar" tool from cheapest Lee bench mounted RELOADING PRESS
    for .50 BMG Boxer, 8mm Berdan and 9mm Berdan primers for larger stuff
    using 7/8-14 threaded shell holders that screw into top ofpress. "Top Mounted".

I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into? Lee Safety Prime seems an obvious choice. Yes I know it is not the most robust feeling piece of equipment but once adjusted correctly it simply rocks at putting primers in right there on that press thingy I already have on my bench....
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into? Lee Safety Prime seems an obvious choice. Yes I know it is not the most robust feeling piece of equipment but once adjusted correctly it simply rocks at putting primers in right there on that press thingy I already have on my bench....
    Could be that if we can find one thing somewhere in the middle to agree on…we might approach this question, 'which tool is better' and eventually agree on that.
    Look at the facts:
    Primers are dangerous…actually…explosive
    They deposit dust that will collect
    They are sensitive to handling…and…to foreign substances that will kill them or inhibit their function…sensitive to humidity and perhaps temperature
    They need be stored correctly…and…not in a sealed metal container…and certainly not with your powder
    (there is a You Tube vid.>'all you need to know about primers in HD'…or similar title…you look it up if interested

Another important consideration is 'how' they are installed to make them properly fit in the brass.
    They need be at least flush and preferably…depending on 'who's opinion…2-3 thousands under flush
    The primer pockets need consideration too but it is not the scope here to address that aspect.

So…the 'big question' I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into?

This answer is completely dependent upon which of the above 'criteria' the individual handloader intends to satisfy. To him whichever points he determines are important will be fulfilled in his work. If he wants production, 'Katy bar the door' as long as they go 'boom' … "good nuff".
    If He is on the other end of the scale…'dang the schedule, these loads are going to be perfect!' "good nuff".

The method either man chooses will be dependent on what he wishes to accomplish…time constraints…ease of this or that…faster/easier…how they 'feel' upon insertion…repeatability of process…on and on and on…a mix of 'subjective and objective' in the same determination…can't do it and satisfy everybody at the same time.
    The point whether they 'load' into a tube or tray becomes 'mute' in the production when this handloader says … "good nuff".

PS…did I mention anything about 'safety' of/for the operator during production…"Oh Shoot…OK"
    Last edited by OS OK; 02-10-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    They need be stored correctly…and…not in a sealed metal container…and certainly not with your powder
    Oh NUTS.

I have thousands of primers stored in little metal containers RIGHT NEXT to loose powder! Not just a metal cabinet either, like little brass SEALED containers!

(And this is why I have not worried about storing my primers and powder together.)

Oh NUTS.

I have thousands of primers stored in little metal containers RIGHT NEXT to loose powder! Not just a metal cabinet either, like little brass SEALED containers!

(And this is why I have not worried about storing my primers and powder together.)
    "Theres always somebody who wants to 'pick the fly spit out of the pepper'…so you are them today?
    I said 'sealed metal' and 'stored' both in the same statement and was referring to 'bulk stowage'…if you think for just one minute…that's a BOMB!
    What happens to just one primer happens to everything in the container. Not necessarily so with bulk stowage of ammo…though there are considerations about that too.
    Read the 'Federal Warning' statement regarding 'primers and powders' and proper stowage…there is even something in there about 'lids' and 'type' material construction of that container for stowage.
    That warning was written and issued by somebody a lot smarter than me…but you go ahead and do it your way…"good nuff"

Banned

"I'm stuck on why a tube that has to be loaded with primers is better than a tray that the primer package just dumps right into?"

​Me too. I have, and use both the RCBS bench mounted Automatic Primer and the Lee Auto Prime round tray hand tool. Actually have a bunch of round tray units. I like both the RCBS bench tool and the Lee hand tool, but the dump and go method is better, for me. Can't wait to try the new Lee Precision bench mounted tool.

Boolit Master

In my limited experience, a tube is MUCH more reliable than the tray.

That being said, I personally use and prefer the tray. Because I do not like filling tubes. Also I do not like hovering my torso over the end of a tube filled with 70 inline primers.

Banned

"Also I do not like hovering my torso over the end of a tube filled with 70 inline primers"

Another reason I have mine on an Inline Ultra Mount
    Last edited by jmort; 02-10-2016 at 03:36 PM.

I don't generally do a lot of my priming off the press. Using a turret about the only primer that routinely gets done as a solo operation is the military crimped stuff, and that is de-prime and condition not prime. The Safety Prime is the Pez dispenser on an arm attached to a round thing hanging on the press. I do tend to do rifle ammo without the index rod so I complete one operation on all cases since I'm doing powder off the press. This got me thinking about storing more prepared brass which has me thinking about priming as own thing.

The part I don't get is why one would want a separate device rather than a primer delivery system that goes on a press and uses the press to seat the primer. Size and de-prime, trim to length, then apply primer, right? The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?

http://www.titanreloading.com/primin...ed-large-small
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

"The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?"

You can prime real fast with a hand primer, real fast. If I had a progressive, I would make it, force it, to prime on the press. But I don't and won't, so I will always prime off the press. Personal preference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

The part I don't get is why one would want a separate device rather than a primer delivery system that goes on a press and uses the press to seat the primer. Size and de-prime, trim to length, then apply primer, right? The hand held I can sort of see, going to sit and watch the game, or outside in nice weather to install primers but at the bench why not just use the/a press?

Well, on my Rockchucker, the on-press priming system is downright awkward. A long stroke to move the ram to the top, pull the primer arm back to (hopefully) pick up a primer, short stroke to seat the primer, then back up to the to[p to clear the primer arm, then pull the handle up to lower the ram and start over. It isn't horrible to prime when resizing, but if you clean primer pockets before priming, it is another whole step on the press.

Some people have trouble with the priming system on their Press. The Loadmaster priming system can be a real bear to get working consistently.

Lots of reasons to prime off press.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master

I don't like priming on the upstroke, and I do not like filling primer tubes, and I do not like the idea of having to buy a special tool just to avoid having to fill primer tubes.

If you gave me a press that primed without tubes and on the down stroke, I'll use it. It would also have to control decapped primers like the press I use now, as that is a deal breaker.

Since a package like that seems a bit unreasonable to ask for, I prime off press.

The hand primers are starting to drive me nuts because every once in awhile a hard to seat primer stands a little proud. And recently I have been tightening tolerance on my revolvers which means they bind in rotation which is not acceptable (besides the safety issue of a primer seating in one chamber from recoil generated by another chamber)

Thus the new LEE device interests me greatly.

If a hand primer were made that gave me huge leverage without blistering my hand after 400 rounds in one shot with 100% reliability to seat primers below the case head, I'm there. I suspect such a device would have a 3-digit price tag unless it was unreliable.

So! Excitement it is, for the lee bench primer. If it fixes half the issues with the hand primer, it's a winner at $36.

Boolit Master
    I'd get the Forster one and never look back, I don't need another type of shellholder like the Lee, and it looks really flimsy, esp. the handle.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast