Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Cast in NEF 357 for deer?

Boolit Buddy

Cast in NEF 357 for deer?

Anyone ever use cast in a 357 NEF single shot for deer? If so what bullet? What powder-load? A friend of mine has one and I'm very curious on the loads used and effectiveness on whitetails. Thanks, Craig.

Boolit Grand Master
    You should ask over at Greybeards site, lots of guys with NEF 357/357max used for hunting

I'm one of those graybeard outdoors guys, there are a few others here.

I have not pulled a trigger on a deer yet, maybe never will.
    But, I have had very good luck accuracy wise with 4.6 grains of Red Dot under the Lee .358 158 gr round nose plain base bullet. @ 50 yards 3 in 1 hole. At 100 I got 2 touching and I pulled one less than an inch up and left.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.360DW.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	158381

I have not played much with the new lee .360 200 gr with gas check.
    But so far I have seen close to similar performance with the same load.
    CCI standard primers.
    Lube was Ben's Liquid Lube for all.

Would a 200 grain bullet kill a deer at 50 - 150 yards moving from 1000 to 1500 fps? Yes in my opinion it would. 5.5 grains in my book was 1250 fps. But the 4.6 grain load was much more accurate in my Handi rifle.

Some of those are loaded in .360dw brass that is longer than the .357 mag, about halfway between the mag and max.

I shot mine with light loads for killing paper. If I was serious about hunting I might work on a hotter load for that.

I have also tried some IMR 4227 158 gr IMR 4227 16.3C 1605 fps

I think I loaded mine at 15 grains so a bit slower. I'm sure plenty of punch.
    But in my gun a bigger group, pop can to coffee cup size but your mileage may vary.

Mine is actually reamed out to Maximum with the GB rifle reamer. I load maxi's with 180 gr. Nosler Partition HG bullets, but they are out of production now. When they run out I've developed some loads using 180gr. RNFP and 200 gr. RNFP lead bullets. I use a book load of H110 under the tip and a CCI small magnum primer for ignition. Knocks critters down now. I consider it a sub-125 yard gun and have a 4 power Mildot scope on it.

Mine is still just a 357 Mag, but I load an NOE 359-190-rf 175gr HP seated way out, with a heavy load for a Maximum. It is accurate and fast. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Lee 200gr boolit. I recently got that mold, but haven't tried it yet.

In for later reading. Going to develop a load for my youngest son to shoot his first deer with this fall. When I get off the road, I'm going to find a load using a 158gr swc with a gas check. I really need to learn how to cast too.....commercial lead with gas checks is reaching jwords price territory

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use 185-190 grain wide flat nose by Hunters Supply or as cast in similar shaped molds by LBT,NOE, Accurate or Mountain Molds, with compressed caseful of 4198 or RL7, about 16-17.5 grains, for 1450 fps ib H&R Handi Rifle. Accurate, effective.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't get the chance this year. Daughter using a 357 mag180 gr LBT FN in Marlin lever. She is getting good with it. Just need to get her confidence up. I'm a proud papa!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    In for later reading. Going to develop a load for my youngest son to shoot his first deer with this fall. When I get off the road, I'm going to find a load using a 158gr swc with a gas check. I really need to learn how to cast too.....commercial lead with gas checks is reaching jwords price territory
    Dive in. Despite the volumes of good advice on the site which make it appear complicated, it isn't. A small pot, dipper, a hot plate to preheat the mould, a 2 cavity plain based .358, 158 gr lee mould, and some sort of tumble lube and you are in business. Shoot at .38 special velocities and even poor casts will do ok. It really is an easy caliber to start with, probably the easiest.

Then if you want a gas checked boolit, buy the mould and the lee push through sizer to install the checks and go for it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

What Fishman said......maybe the best cartridge to start loading/casting for.Warning!!!!!It's a filthy habit and near unbreakable....start casting at your own risk.You've started down the slippery slope already just by reading these forums.
    My .357 Handi has never been fired at deer but seems to kill pigs just fine.

Elbow, whatever you load, make sure it is effective and your child can shoot it with sufficient accuracy before going afield. You could seriously damage a child's enthusiasm for hunting if a lost wounded animal is the result of the first hunt. Nothing wrong with getting into casting, we all love it here. But a 158 grain XTP near full load potential out of your rifle would be my choice for a first deer with that gun. And that is assuming that the child is old enough to handle it and has sufficient practice to assure a good shot. Use the light cast bullet loads for the training and then transition to the deer load. Realize there is other prepping that needs to be done as well to lesson the chance of a "buck fever" miss.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Dive in. Despite the volumes of good advice on the site which make it appear complicated, it isn't. A small pot, dipper, a hot plate to preheat the mould, a 2 cavity plain based .358, 158 gr lee mould, and some sort of tumble lube and you are in business. Shoot at .38 special velocities and even poor casts will do ok. It really is an easy caliber to start with, probably the easiest.

Then if you want a gas checked boolit, buy the mould and the lee push through sizer to install the checks and go for it.
    pretty much the push I needed. I know what part of the tax return is going towards

Boolit Master
    I don't have a H&R Handi in .357, but wish I did. Having said that, I have taken deer and hogs with a Lee 158GR SWCGC and a Lyman 358156 pushed by 14.0grs of 2400, and once using a Lee 158gr RNFP with 7.0grs Unique. The one taken with the Unique load was a target of opportunity and not during a hunt, even though it was during the season. Weapons used were a Ruger Security Six 4", a Ruger GP100 6", a TC Contender 10", and a Rossi 92 20". All performed well, and will continue to see field time.

As has been said, make sure it is an accurate load and practice. A lot of people will argue weather or not a .357 is enough gun, but as long as it is used within the range and accuracy limitations, it works great.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    pretty much the push I needed. I know what part of the tax return is going towards
    Glad to enable you You might consider a bottom pour pot if you have a little extra $ but it is optional.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"