Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with copper plate pricing vs. scrap?

What's up with copper plate pricing vs. scrap?

I am in the market for some 1/8" plate copper that I need in 5/8" strips to used as spacers for a copper coil. I know that pretty much all commodities are way down in the last year or so, including copper. I just checked locally, and #1 bright copper is at $1.70 or so a lb. Knowing that, I went to my local metal supplier (Discount Steel) and saw that they had what I was looking for available. They couldn't cut it that narrow, but I can make strips out of it, so they'd sell me 2" wide by 48" long. It is 3/16", so slightly thicker than I need, but they had it in stock. I was looking for 2, the quote lists them as about 11lbs. And the price for 2? $154, or $77 each! So, that works out to be a low low price of $14/lb! or over 7 TIMES the price of the highest quality scrap! I went to an online metal dealer, and it worked out to be a little better, but still was about $13/lb. What the heck is going on with this? There seems to be a crazy disconnect. I might expect 2 or even 3 times the cleanest scrap price, but 6-7 times? Am I off base here? It seems egregious, especially since the price of most metal has dropped so drastically recently. Or, am I just looking in the wrong place for it?

Boolit Buddy
    You are not buying scrap.
    You are buying finished goods.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master

Agreed.

You should price out some copper rain gutters!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Yes, finished goods, I agree, but the cost of materials vs the finished price I feel is Way out of line. Not that I can do anything about it, other than keep trying to find a better source. Possibly drops, I guess, but I feel that this is gouging at it's finest. The value add isn't justified in the price. So if I would have been looking at this last year (2014?), the same 2 small pieces would have been $300? For 11lbs of copper? Wow. Again, maybe it's just me, but that isn't justifiable. /rant off

Boolit Master
    Try sourcing local roofing contractors, they oftentimes have 20 ounce copper left over from copper roofs.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Just for the heck of it I checked the price of brass at a local scrap yard, and the scrap price was roughly half the price of new round bar.
    Cap'n Morgan

And this I feel is more than fair, I'd even pay up to 3 times the scrap price, but 7 times? Not even close to reasonable. I have contacted one company that does copper gutters, and unfortunately I found out that the gauge used for gutters is too light for my application, otherwise that would have probably have worked out well for me, he was happy to help me out if he could. I'll just keep my eyes open, I'm not in a time crunch to get it done, so I have this in my favor.

Remember that copper had to make a trip by truck, train or both to a harbor port. Then by boat to China. Refined in China and sent back in either finished form or as bulk ingots by ship again. Trained and trucked again to the finish mill if in bulk. Milled in some manner to the finished straps that you are looking for. Put on another truck and sent to a distribution center and then trucked to the final retailer. You have to pay for the people at the scrap yard, the transportation people, the longshoremen, mariners and factory workers. Along with all the cost of shipping and refining.

It is just like the cost of primers or brass. Why does something you may get a dollar a pound for as scrap get, (primers) $3.00 a 100 in usable form Brass $30.00 to 50.00, or more, a 100 or less.

It's the cost of doing business.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

What you've said is currently true (it being more cost effective to process it in china), which I find kind of amazing when you think about it. Taking heavy materials like scrap copper, and then transporting it half way across the world, processing it, then sending it back again, often in bulk form, is less expensive than processing it here, says something sad about our current situation here in the US. And what I am looking to buy is just one step past the ingot stage, my guess is that it was an ingot that was rolled out to a plate. Nothing special or highly processed about it, it's the basic raw material for the next step of making products. Today it's just a flat plate of copper. Primers are highly processed, and have been thru a highly value added process - complex manufacturing, adding explosive ingredients, paying what must be massive liability insurance, etc. I can see how that humble piece of copper can get a significant value add. I have a harder time seeing it in my flat piece of copper, because as people who promote recycling say frequently, the biggest cost of the virgin product is getting it from the ore to the ingot, once it's been made, the cost of remaking it is significantly less. I know we're kind of going around in circles here, and I don't want to be seen as beating a dead horse, because it's pretty much me just venting a little. I've heard what you guys have said, and it's obvious that there is nothing I can do about it other than to be smart in my purchases.

Boolit Buddy

As a business owner tells me time and again...

You charge what the market will bear.

If enough people refuse to pay that amount, the price will come down. (Deflation) But sellers will be very reluctant to sell at a lose.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Which is more expensive? A brand new manufactured car . . . or a scrapped out car that's been in an accident?

You are looking at a new finished product that has bone through a manufacturing process, then to a wholesaler/distributor, then to a retail seller to be sold to the consumer . . . there are mark-ups all the way along as they are in business to make a profit on a manufactured item. If you buy copper at a scrap yard . . . that's what you are buying . . scrap. It's been used and recycled to the scrap yard.

Boolit Grand Master

By your logic you should buy a brand new perfect weapon for 2X it's scrap value.
    Dream on.
    You don't always get what you think you pay for, but you will always pay for what you get.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Apples & Oranges to me, because all the examples are highly processed and/or precision/complex products, this is a basic commodity with minimal processing (with a 7x upcharge), but I get the gist of the comments I've been receiving. I'll bow out of this one now, and thanks for the replies guys and putting up with my venting.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    You don't always get what you think you pay for, but you will always pay for what you get.
    True, very true. This is why my hunt continues...
    Last edited by alha; 01-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    You are looking at a new finished product that has bone through a manufacturing process, then to a wholesaler/distributor, then to a retail seller to be sold to the consumer . . . there are mark-ups all the way along as they are in business to make a profit on a manufactured item. If you buy copper at a scrap yard . . . that's what you are buying . . scrap. It's been used and recycled to the scrap yard.
    Life would be easier if every consumer understood economics.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is a manufactured product vs scrap. He said it goes thru minimal processing. How does he know what processing it went thru? Met was made to meet certain specifications. It was handled by many people and much energy was used to process the copper sheet.

When you buy scrap you get what you get. When you buy a finished good you get what you paid for. You also asked a business to cut a product to your desired dimensions, that costs money. Those people don't work for free and the equipment they use isn't free either.

I pay a premium to buy steel stock for turning in 3 foot chunks because I don't care to deal with a 12 footer. I'm not being screwed, I'm making a decision.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by alha View Post
    ... I'll bow out of this one now, and thanks for the replies guys and putting up with my venting. ...
    Ain't it grand how we all put up with each other?

Gotta luv it here.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
    Ain't it grand how we all put up with each other?

Gotta luv it here.
    Yup!

Boolit Master
    Lets say the sheet was made from scrap. Picker takes scrap to the yard, get dollars. Yard sells scrap to smelter for dollars +, Smelter makes ingot and sells to rolling mill for dollars ++, Rolling mill rolls into sheet and sells to wholesaler for dollars+++, wholesaler sells sheet to retailer for dollars++++, Retailer sells sheet to consumer for dollars+++++. Each of those plus signs could be a times 2 and probably never less than times 1.5, they all add expenses plus profit. A dollars worth of scrap makes $20 to $30 worth of sheet. My math is crude, I could see it being $77.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Prices of scrap were higher a while back. Maybe the lower prices haven't made it through the supply line, yet. If a vender bought at a high point, he may be tied to a price from a higher time. If he has paid taxes and interest and must now pay labor to produce the finished product you desire, he may see that as a break point for your desired commodity. Or, maybe I'm wrong and he is trying to get over on you.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    next time let me know you need it and i will help you out
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast