MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: bigger bullet = better???

Boolit Buddy

bigger bullet = better???

so.... by having a longer bullet, out to the max saami specs for 9mm; I could have a much bigger bullet. Could lighten it up with alloy if need be. What this would, or should mean is more expansion being it has a deeper hollow point. Would that translate into more tissue damage and a bigger wound channel, assuming the design and velocity matched properly?

Not exactly.You need a balance of velocity and alloy soft enough to expand.Lightening the alloy would make it a harder alloy so while it may increase velocity slightly it would also make you boolit tougher to get expansion from.

Boolit Master
    If you stay within specs any improvement will probably be negligible. Everything is a trade-off. A longer bullet seated deep enough to fit the magazine will reduce your case capacity. If you seat it further out and lighten it to keep your pressure down, your 9mm will be a single-shot.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Be cautious in using a longer lead bullet in the 9MM. In my situation with a CZ 75 sized at .358 (which is needed for the bore diameter) , lead from the.358 diameter is shaved off the bullet and lead builds up at the front of the chamber and after a few rounds and the slide will not go into full battery.