Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Redding Ultramag new addition

Boolit Master

Redding Ultramag new addition

Since I've seem to have gotten in to big Nitro Express rounds, all of my presses are now a bit short. I have a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 Nitro Express and a Sharps in 450 Nitro Express. They have cases that are 3.00 and 3.25 inches respectively so the Ultramag's 4-3/4" frame opening will come in really handy.

I'll switch out the bushing to Hornady's Lock-n-Load system. I wish Redding had bushings in their T-7. I love that press.

I've always wanted one of these monsters. I guess I'm a bit of a press collector and just needed an excuse to buy one with the Brownells discount coupon I got.

Anyone have/use this press? What's your experience?
    [

Boolit Master
    I have one and it sports a LNL bushing. I paid 100 bucks new in the box from Craigslist a couple two or three years ago. I put a longer tube on the primer disposal into a waste can. It weighs as much as my Champion and don't drop the Ultramag on your foot! It is mounted on a ROCKDOCK. Redding wrote a hand loading book and classified it as a C press. I call it a hybrid C.

It works well with the huge window. I like it. I have wrote to Hornady and asked them to produce a LNL turret press. They replied that it's a popular request.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I wrote to Redding and asked them to put bushings in the T-7 so I could use Hirnady's bushings. They said there wasn't enough room. Ok, so reduce it from 7 stations to 6 and rename it the T-6. It would be shockingly handy.

I also thought it would be cool if someone made a turret that used snap in die stations like the Co-Ax. My Co-Ax is my go-to press for playing around to get something right quickly. The snap in die system and the almost universal shell holder makes switching dies super quick...add a turret to the mix and it would be awesome.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I also thought it would be cool if someone made a turret that used snap in die stations like the Co-Ax. My Co-Ax is my go-to press for playing around to get something right quickly. The snap in die system and the almost universal shell holder makes switching dies super quick...add a turret to the mix and it would be awesome.
    That would be awesome! Maybe a custom turret head. . .

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    The Co-Ax and the Ultra Mag are my two most used presses. Both load very concentric ammo if your dies are up to the task. My Ultra Mag has been used primarily for case forming, a job it excels at. TJ

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I have an Ultramag that's 15 years old or so and they are a great press. I load a 450/400 3-1/4 inch nitro and even with it's opening size I have to put the bullet up into the seating die a bit and then slide the case into the shell holder and seat the bullet. No big deal...it's not like I load those by the thousands.

Boolit Master
    The Ultramag has about the largest opening of any press available. I'm not aware of any other press that has a larger one.
    [

Moderator Emeritus
    I have had mine for nigh on 16 years along with my T7 and cannot fault either of them.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

There are two Ultramags on my bench. Wonderful press for reloading. Be aware the good folks at Redding advised against using the Ultarmag for bullet swaging.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I suppose you could put enough leverage through that long linkage to break, twist or bend something.
    [

They said the pins would not survive heavy duty.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Broken pins are way better than cracking or bending the main casting. They say it's a modified "C" but it's almost all inline and I can see it breaking before it bent.
    [