Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any new on Lab Radar availability dates?

Boolit Master
    It looks so easy to set up, just put it on the bench, point it down range and fire away...at leas that's how it looks. No, sky screens, no light problems....I will be glad to see that all go.
    [

Boolit Master
    It looks so easy to set up, just put it on the bench, point it down range and fire away...at leas that's how it looks. No, sky screens, no light problems....I will be glad to see that all go.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I just got an email from Midway saying they had the LabRadar in stock...I knew that as soon as I went there to buy it, they would be sold out...and so it was. I should have bought it on back order.
    Same here, a little too slow on the draw.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I don't think it matters how fast we respond. They're going to fill back orders first...
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Midway is not taking back orders on this. Note it says "Out of stock - No back orders".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523...ar-chronograph

I have been following this thing since their web site first went up about 6 years or so ago after I heard about at SHOT. I ordered as soon as their web site said they were taking "Pre-orders", That wasn't until last Sept 4th. I was told Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and in January I was told that I was in the next batch they received and I would have it in Feb. I then got an email that said sorry it would be April. I called them on the phone and asked a bunch of questions, I was told that the Mfg shorted them a few units but that they did send a significant number of units to Midway and they would be shipped to them today. (that was on Monday)

I went to the Midway page (linked above) and it said no back orders. It had a link for email notifications when they get some AND they would be sold first come first served, I signed up for it. I guesstimated 2 days UPS to midway so they would have them on Wed. Yesterday morning I brought up the Midway page for the unit and checked to make sure my CC & address info with Midway was correct. Next I put on a pot of coffee and sat back staring at my email inbox. When I saw Midway in the address bar I didn't even take time to read the email, I immediately went to the LabRadar page at Midway & refreshed the page, it said in stock. I clicked on "Buy it now".

I also wanted the bench mount but Midway was out of stock on them. After I ordered the unit from Midway I called LabRadar on the phone to 1> cancel my order with them and 2> order the bench mount, that took about five minutes. When I hung up I went back to the Midway page & refreshed it, they were then listed as out of stock again. That's how fast a "significant number" of units sold out. Good thing I wasn't sitting on the throne or something, I would have missed it.

Bottom line is that UPS tracking says I will have both the radar unit from Midway and the bench mount from LabRadar on Friday the 19th.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

Wow, a post from the man himself. Good to see you are getting your Lab Radar. I just went right to the manufacturer so eventually, May ?, I will have mine. Also good to see you posting.

Boolit Master

Oh Man - until 5 minutes ago I was blissfully unaware of this.... Now I'm $600 poorer.

I've been threatening to pick up a chrono for several years now since I reload literally everything I shoot, and have no idea how any of it performs other than the diameter of groups on paper.

After reading this, then going to their website, I took the plunge and ordered a unit and bench stand (Invoice 2404). Judging by the comments here, I'll be getting it for my birthday in August...
    Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 02-19-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    GONRA has one on Midway backorder.
    Just hit my credit card (AMEX "large purchase" dealie).
    So it should be here in a few days!

just got mine in this week will be giving it a workout this weekend
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Master
    GONRA received LabRadar from Midway this afternoon. Need 6 AA Alkaline batteries to get started.
    Comletely PASSIVE. No SCREENS or MUZZLE ATTACHMENTS are required!

Gonna take Retired Man a while to digest instructions / setting options.
    Planning on using a Ruger .22 pistol to “learn.”
    Was reassured to see that LabRadar staff must be Fellow Loyal SARCO Ad Shotgun News readers –
    “muzzle brake” is spelled “muzzle break” on p. 13 of the manual.
    Redneck Power!

ORGINALLY thought it might be a neat idea to donate one to each of “my” gun clubs
    so members could check it out, use it and return since no real “setup”
    is required that can interfere with other shooters.
    (Gun Club would have to figgerout iron clad checkout procedure
    so pricy LabRadar doesn't "vaporize".)

But, like most other modern Electronic Devices, there seem to be a zillion customized settings.

NOW believe LabRadar is best used by the owner, not shared in the above sense,
    to avoid all sorts of crazy issues....

Bet its gonna verk out Great for me and my gun nut younger son,
    not to mention 3 grandsons - even (apparently) for everybodies bb guns, bows and arrows.

Boolit Grand Master

Quite a fascinating thing this is. It captured and recorded every shot fired from 5 different guns where sky screens would have failed completely given the light conditions. About 100 rounds total and it never missed a beat. It has a lot of functions that take a bit of a learning curve but by the time my friend John & I finished we had it all figured out pretty well. Ran a 10 shot test of my much chronographed revolver long range match ammo and the results matched the Oehler 35 to a T. A plus is instead of reading muzzle velocity at 10 feet at the start screen this gives muzzle velocity at the muzzle. It also gives down range velocities, while we didn't play with that function a lot today we did learn that the 130 gr cast that John was shooting from his AR lost on average 130 fps at 100 yards.

Set up was every bit as easy as they claim. Set it on the bench next to the muzzle, turn it on, shoot. There are a few functions that need to be programed so the unit knows what you want to do but that's only a few buttons & a few seconds. For the AR that has tremendous sideways muzzle blast the only extra step that is needed is to set a blast shield between the side of the rifle & muzzle and the unit and your good to go. I've decided that out of respect for the unit that I will also use the blast shield when shooting large bore revolvers.

One of my concerns was battery life and while I wouldn't call it good they did last our entire session (about 3 hours) and were at about 50% when we finished. I am going to order the rechargeable battery pack that should last a good bit longer and then simply re-charge it.

For anyone considering the LabRadar I recommend both the battery pack and bench mounting plate. The bench plate because the unit works alongside the muzzle and if your shooting several different firearms with different barrel lengths moving it simply means picking it up and setting it where you need it. The battery pack because it wouldn't take many range trips buying 6 AA batteries each time to be more expensive than the battery pack, plus of course it should last all day.

The unit downloads all the data to a computer but not without an installed memory card while shooting and the card does not come with the unit. If you don't want to download the data the unit has internal memory that will hold something like 1000 shots. With the memory card the capacity is unlimited.

So in the mode of online retailers . . . . Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yep, you bet I would. This is the coolest thing since ice cream.
    Last edited by cbrick; 03-20-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Nice write up - thanks for the review
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    Got my shipping confirmation today! W00t, just in time for some real load development

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishmike View Post
    Got my shipping confirmation today! W00t, just in time for some real load development
    Mike, When did you order it? I'm on the fence so this info may be a shove one way or the other. Thanks.
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez cbrick nailed it. Madea crude 2 inch lumber "bench mount".
    Only problem I had was accessing the Display/Parameters function.
    Accidently learned to hit this button IMMEDIATELY after turning the power ON.

Will seek the LabRadar bench mount and battery pack when available.....

Looks like at least one range is gonna purchase one for general member use.
    Based on such experience, wouldn't be surprised if LabRadar
    eventually comes out with a "range model".
    Stay tuned....

Boolit Grand Master

I had mine out today, easy setup < I tried a small dia brass tube (.150 hole) double face taped into the sight notch to sight it. Made getting it sighted much easier than last time. Fired 62 rounds of BPCR loads over it 50 grease grooved 400 grn and 12 Paper Patched 430 grn. Got all 5 distances from muzzle to 115 yds on all but 4 rounds 4 rounds failed to aquire bullet. Velocities were good and coincided with what had been chronographed before on sky screens. I will say this is the easiest Ive ever chrongraphed ammo. Set up set parimeters and push arm button. I set it up beside my cross sticks and shot from position same as a match. First 10 shots registered 1240 fps (400 grn nasa bullet over 58 grns 2 f olde ensford) with an es of 13 fps. This unit is great set right its hands off and just does what its supposed to. I set the arm time to 200 secs ( roughly 3 mins) this gave me time to load, aim, fire, and blow tube and repeat with out the unit shutting down. The smoke wads and lube cloud didnt seem to affect it. The paper Patched loads were the same even the shreaded patches didnt affect it.

Boolit Master
    I know that I love mine. It is so easy to set up is almost a understatement.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_P View Post
    Mike, When did you order it? I'm on the fence so this info may be a shove one way or the other. Thanks.
    I ordered it around 4/15/15. Going to be here tomorrow.

Banned

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago, and they are saying May. If so, they have really picked up on production.

Boolit Master
    Was out back playing with it, the last two days......it is finicky with the Rossi 357 carbine. Using the "rifle" mode, it would get readings with a 158 SWC and 14.5 grains of 2400 powder. Switching to a 180 RNFP and 11 grains of 2400, wouldn't read. Wouldn't read a 115 RNFP and 6.5 grains of Unique, either. Tried those two loads, in the "handgun" mode, and still wouldn't read. Not till I brought out my 6" Python, did it finally read those two loads.

Rifle mode is 984 fps and higher....both of those loads were higher than that, in the Python and well within the parameters. Tried it the day before, using a "blast shield" between the unit and muzzle of the carbine. So I'm ruling out muzzle blast errors. Worked just fine, with the blast shield, and my 308 AR, last weekend and a multitude of pistols in calibers from 30 carbine, 45 LC and a 308 W barreled XP. Seems like it doesn't like the Rossi with lite for caliber bullets nor heavy for caliber.

Winelover

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast