Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Scope for AR15 for nra high power comp.

Scope for AR15 for nra high power comp.

I used to shoot high power but just can't be competitive anymore with my vision and gave it up a few years back , Now I'm thinking of shooting again since optics are allowed on service rifles . The rules state max of 4.5x magnification , I'm fine with that I normally use a 3X on my hunting rifle , my question is since the 6moa bullseye is rather large and also the same color as the reticle (black) would it be better to go with a lighted cross hair reticle or even better say a lit dot ? I've always been a open sight shooter so this is all new to me when I do sight in my huntin gun it's a 1 inch orange dot or something with contrast at 100 yd, what would be the best choice for a big black bullseye to keep centered up on ?

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I know the manufactures are developing specific reticles for this course of fire with custom holdovers to eliminate tracking issues. I had some good links but I lost them in a hard drive failure.

CMP forums may have some insight http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=105

currently 103 pages of discussion http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/i...howtopic=30264
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I played around with a scope sighted AR flat top in some local matches where it was allowed several years ago. shooting 200-600yds full distances and positions offers some other things that need to be addressed also. Parrallax becomes an issue with the diffrent distances that can cause issues. Another is clarity over the full range of distances. Focused for 200yds 300 and 600 may not be as clear as you need. Eye relief on the scope can be an issue with the diffrent positions whats right for offhand may be to close sitting and prone positions. And with this change focus may change also. As to reticle I used a 1/5" dot on fine crosshairs and it worked good for me. One thing being an iron sight shooter is if you have a day when cross hairs dont show on bull click up 2-3 mins and hold at 6 O'clock.

Boolit Grand Master

I played around with a scope sighted AR flat top in some local matches where it was allowed several years ago. shooting 200-600yds full distances and positions offers some other things that need to be addressed also. Parrallax becomes an issue with the diffrent distances that can cause issues. Another is clarity over the full range of distances. Focused for 200yds 300 and 600 may not be as clear as you need. Eye relief on the scope can be an issue with the diffrent positions whats right for offhand may be to close sitting and prone positions. And with this change focus may change also. As to reticle I used a 1/4 dot on fine crosshairs and it worked good for me. One thing being an iron sight shooter is if you have a day when cross hairs dont show on bull click up 2-3 mins and hold at 6 O'clock.

I'd be inclined to look for bull in a circle type reticle like you did with Iron sights

Maybe the Circle Dot in illuminated
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I'd be inclined to look for bull in a circle type reticle like you did with Iron sights

Maybe the Circle Dot in illuminated
    Thanks for the display , I'm sorta liken that illuminated German #4 could use that bottom post just like a regular blade ft sight .

Super Moderator

If you like the German #4, check this one out. It's a 1.5x5 though. This ought to be a great all around scope on an AR.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/464...-reticle-matte

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    If you like the German #4, check this one out. It's a 1.5x5 though. This ought to be a great all around scope on an AR.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/464...-reticle-matte
    thats a dandy scope for sure light weight and a ton of adjustment . Only issue it would be not allowed in real matches because it maxes out at 5x .

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

You would have to check but some matches allow the higher power scopes if you tape them at the highest allowable power for the rules.

Super Moderator

I just ordered the same scope but with the regular duplex reticle. It will be here tomorrow and I cant wait to try it on my flat top AR.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    thats a dandy scope for sure light weight and a ton of adjustment . Only issue it would be not allowed in real matches because it maxes out at 5x .
    The Leupold 1.5-5x scope has an actual magnification of 1.6X-4.5X. It is perfectly legal for competition.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much what I'm seeing on the line is the Leaupold listed above and the Vortex. The Vortex's I have seen had a IL reticle, with a dot and 4 >'s around it. The guys shooting them seem to like them.

I'm sticking with Irons though as long as my eyes hold out.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Night Force is making a scope specifically designed to comply with the rule changes and has features specific to High Power Shooting. I don't know when it will be released to the public. Through work, we ordered a batch of custom designed scopes for High Power competition from Night Force. The scopes should be delivered in the next month or so. I am hopeful that we receive them sooner than later so that we have time to use them prior to Nationals.

I've always been a traditionalist and rallied around iron sights but I'm to the point now where I really struggle at the 600 with my vision. I am hopeful that a scope will possibly help. One of my concerns with scopes is the weather. Rain and optics aren't fun. When you settle in for a rapid fire and are on the clock, you don't have much spare time to keep rain drops from interfering with your view.

When I have the Night Force scope in hand and can get a few rounds down range, I'll report back with pictures and results. I don't know how many similarities there will be between their commercial model and the custom one we are getting. I do know that since it is a NF, it won't be cheap.

I do have a Vortex PST for my personal use but haven't even mounted it yet. The scope was a present and I don't care much for the reticle so haven't made it a priority. I'll get around to it sometime soon. Who knows, the reticle may work out great - won't know till I try it. Nonetheless, the scope appears to be well constructed and of good quality.

Boolit Grand Master

Creedmoor is pushing this one as CMP and NRA Legal http://www.creedmoorsports.com/produ.../Vortex-Scopes