Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ruger american 30-06 into 338-06 or 35 whelan?? Any opinions?

Banned
    Again, I have many 06s, this is a planned build. The deciding factor is: I have thousands of rounds of 06 brass, close to 1k in 338 jacketed bullets + I already have the reloading dies & several cast bullet molds for 338. I have zip in 35.

Actually, past this in my mind & looking to make a 416 Taylor as next project.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    keep your eyes open for a Ruer No1 in 416 Rigby. Expensive brass, but mega satisfying dropping those cigar sized rounds into the chamber, smile making sound!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned
    Have a 416 RemMag, like it, it shoots excellent. Since I have a 375/338 & it is a real thumper, figured the same in 416 would work well also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Have a 416 RemMag, like it, it shoots excellent. Since I have a 375/338 & it is a real thumper, figured the same in 416 would work well also.
    Just curious here. That .375/338. Is it a 375 H&H necked down to take .338 bullets or the .338 Win. Mag. necked up to take .375" bullets? I have the latter on a Ruger M77 tang safety model in a Ramline stock. Definitely a thumper that one carries a lot and shoots little. Seven and a half pounds with scope sling and a full magazine. I had it built up when I was in the running for a transfer to Alaska. That didn't happen so it's more of a safe queen these days. Should take it the next time I get a chance to hunt elk just for the fun of it.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    keep your eyes open for a Ruer No1 in 416 Rigby. Expensive brass, but mega satisfying dropping those cigar sized rounds into the chamber, smile making sound!
    Why? Are you looking for one? I haven't shot mine in some time. Too much arthritis in my right shoulder. Haven't seen any T-Rex's in my back yard lately so I just may send it down the road. My #1 in .404 Jeffery is a lot more pleasant to shoot though as is the .375 H&H. Yeah, I like the big bore. Just getting too old to shoot them much. Be 78 in just about a month.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

No, I have one, I just love the sound of those big shells being dropped into the chamber. 12Ga shotguns, 45Colt and 44/40 revolvers all make a similar sound, warms the cockles of the heart!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned
    It's a 338 necked up to 375. Actually surpasses 375 H&H by 50' or so on 300s. It's very accurate. It's actually made on a 1963(?) Browning Safari that was bored to 375. If I only could have seen that messing up a (today) hi dollar gun was not a good idea. I just had so many of them back in the 70s that it was no big deal.

I'm sure you like yours as everyone I know that made one really likes it. A 375 Ruger long before they thought of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, tygar. When it comes in, tell us how you like the updated version of the .333 OKH . They went with the 33 to get the ballistic coefficient (tho they wouldn't have expressed it that way).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Just curious here. That .375/338. Seven and a half pounds with scope sling and a full magazine. I had it built up when I was in the running for a transfer to Alaska. That didn't happen so it's more of a safe queen these days. Should take it the next time I get a chance to hunt elk just for the fun of it.
    Paul B.
    Mine with scope is 8.5# lbs m/l. No break & I find it not bad to shoot. I used mine in AK on Moose & bear & it killed as good as any H&H. Just don't like to beat it up in the bush.

I also hunted Elk in OR & WA but used the H&Hs & it is a real killer. I used 260s & 270s for potentially long shots on Elk & they laid down pretty easy.

OK "Old" I plan on letting you'al know how it performs...expect it to do well, we'll see.

I went through the same mental gymnastics 15 years ago. I picked up a JC Higgins model 50?/51? , Which is a commercial FN Mauser 98 actioned bolt action. Mine is 30-06.

I then came across an article in American Rifleman about comparing the 30-06, 338 and I think the 35 Whelen, by Finn Aagaard (spelling ?) One finding from that article really left a mark on me, resulting to leave my 30-06 as a 30-06. Penetration tests included .308 180, 200, and maybe 220 grain bullets; .338 in 210-250 grains, and possible .358 200-260 grain jacketed bullets.

The 30-06 , shooting a 200 grain jacketed bullet (can't remember brand, maybe partition, could be Speer-not sure), penetrated as well if not better than all bullets tested, and had very good trajectory numbers, and outstanding retained energy levels.

Based on that, I stayed with the 30-06. Never regretted my decision . If you want to shoot cast bullets, get the NOE (Night Owl Enterprises) version of the RCBS 30 caliber 180 grain mold (NOE lists it as the RCBS 311-195, a gas check flat point bullet that comes out a a 195-200 grain bullet with a nice diameter of .311").

Keep it simple. Keep the rifle a 30-06. Save your money by not reboring/rerifling, buy the above mold and 180-200 grain jacketed bullets and hunt anything you want. Sectional density of a 30 caliber 200 grain bullet is .300, which is great for penetration. The .308/200 grain spritzer has a high ballistic coefficient ( somewhere near .500??) For great energy and velocity retention.

Master Bear guide Phil Shoemaker used 220 grain partition loaded 30-06 for his gun when backing up clients in Alaska due to performance and penetration.

As a side benefit, in case you ever get caught without ammo, 30-06 ammo can be purchased at any gun/sporting good/general store that had a gun department. That can't be said for the 338-06 or the 35 Whelen.

No need to choose between the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen. Keep it a 30-06, and "go heavy."
    Last edited by catboat; 01-24-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Banned
    Hi Cat, you should read my post at top of page #61 & #5.

Really coincidence, I was just over to my gunsmith this morning, taking dummy rounds for leade, & live rounds for functioning. He had the barrel in his lathe & had the action trued etc.

Said it would be done in a couple days.

As I said above, I have a lot of guns "made". Just like to play.

Not counting a bunch of M1s, I have a good half dozen 06s & the ones I have are mostly pretty good or collectible, so didn't want to use one of them. I had tried a friends RA & it was pretty nice & at $289 it was a no brainer to try. Have since got a RA IN 308 & am currently working up loads. Shot mil ball, MOA.

GS likes it & hopefully will shoot good. Will know soon enough.

I also have over 100 molds & have several NOE 30 cal molds + others in 30.

I do use an 06 on occasion but in 30 cal, I will usually go down to 308, or up to a WSM or 30 mag.

Can't believe my last post on this thread was last July. Have to get on Dan's butt about taking so long on my stuff. lol

Boolit Master
    catboat, I believe Phil has went to 9mm as of late!
    Aaron

Boolit Buddy
    i recommend keeping the rifle in 30-06, get some Hawk custom 250 gr RN bullets and with some good reloading 2450 fps can be reached, this will turn the 06 into a super killing machine....think of a 6.5 Swede or 7 mm Mauser with the 160/175 gr RN bullets, they are super killing machines. Really changes the lethality of the 06 with the heavier bullet...i love it myself......regards....JimP.

I'm pretty sure he said that he was 3006 rich already and just wanted a project JimP.

Banned
    Well couple days ago, I scoped it up & went out back to my short range to get scope right. It was close enough & shot at 50 yds & had several one hole groups & others 2 in one & one slightly out. Both cast 200, 218, 230 & 200 & 225 jacketed. Only one bad group & that was cast using RL7. RL15 w/filler were all exc.

Hope to get to my 200yd range & see what it'll do at 100, then 200.

As predicted, with full power 225gr loads, it kicked some. I just use one or 2 old "hot pads" the wife doesn't need anymore. This used 1. When using the 225s without the pads it was fairly stout as it is less than 6# w/o scope, but not bad. Anything other than full pop 225 loads were like shooting an 06 with comparable wt bullets.

Hopefully have more to report tomorrow.

By the way, we went with a 24" 10 twist, medium wt barrel. Should have decent speed with the 24".

Sounds like a good one.

Banned
    Well, shot it a couple more times.

Been concentrating on jacketed 225s & 200s. Also, changed scopes so I could get more magnification.

Have been consistently getting 1" groups with H4831SC & 225s one time, then the next, same load can be 2". 200s have not been as good - 1.5-2".

Tried H4350 today, but same deal, nothing great.

I'm going to get back to cast loads, probably next time I shoot it.

Now I know it's minute of deer/bear but I like to get it small. We'll see what comes next.

Boolit Master
    Whelen. Go big or go home.

I do not shoot the Whelen but among my favorite rifles is my 35 Krag, in a 24" Handi Rifle. Loaded to potential, it's between the 358 Win and the 35 Whelen and I have a 280 grs soup can type bullet - no idea what mold, but got a ton of the bullets from someone on here as I recall - that is a diabolical slayer of hogs. 280 grs at 1650 fps is a great cast load. It will push the Sierra 225 at 2400 as well. The Whelen will take that another 100 fps faster.

Perma-Banned
    Go with a .600 or .700 Over Kill and call it a day!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234