RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lightest boolit for 22-250

Lightest boolit for 22-250

I have a Rem 700 22-250 and like to know what is the lightest cast boolit I can go with for small game, that will some time take coyote, but anything else smaller then that. I have been usen Lyman 55gr long one they have with GC for all around shooting when drop from the mold it comes to 60gr .But was wondering for the lightest side for hunting with it.Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    My first thought is to ask how fast are you planning on pushing them? Twist rate may dictate what you can accurately use, too.

I am not looking to push them fast.I just go by accurate I can get them for how far they would go.It have a 1:14 twist and a 26" barrel.

Not sure how accuracy would be but the noe 37 gr boolit should kill a coyote at 22 mag velocities. I have the mould and a gun just like yours but have not tried that boolit yet. The noe 55gr rcbs clone shoots pretty good for me and have not ventured any further. I never thought to load for small game for that gun since it weighs about 12 pounds. But, I do have another 22-250 that is much lighter. Now you got me thinking... Will follow to see how you make out.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Not sure how accuracy would be but the noe 37 gr boolit should kill a coyote at 22 mag velocities. I have the mould and a gun just like yours but have not tried that boolit yet. The noe 55gr rcbs clone shoots pretty good for me and have not ventured any further. I never thought to load for small game for that gun since it weighs about 12 pounds. But, I do have another 22-250 that is much lighter. Now you got me thinking... Will follow to see how you make out.

Jerry Jr.
    You see where i am trying to go with this.Thank you for what you did let me know.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would think you could use any boolit in 22 cal
    for your adventure,just change the alloy for your
    intended target,game.
    I would go heavier not light though but that is
    me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I would think you could use any boolit in 22 cal
    for your adventure,just change the alloy for your
    intended target,game.
    I would go heavier not light though but that is
    me
    With a heavier boolit and a 1:14 twist I don't know if it would stabilize.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Getting good accuracy with cast in the .22 cfs., is sometimes tricky, my best accuracy has been at or below 1500 fps with the 55gr. RCBS, results with other .22 cast boolits including the NOE 37gr. has been dismal.

Boolit Master
    I have used a 55 grain gc fn boolit in a few 22cf guns. It worked from so- so to great. I worked up to 2500 fps, but had much better results at around 2000 . Have you looked at the available molds in .224 dia.. You may have to go custom for what you want. I played with 22 pellets launched with a magnum primer in a 223 & 22-250 case. To much work for this old boy! But fun for a few shots. Spotty accuracy out to 35 yards.

I am looking if there is a custom mold that is lighter then the one I have like from NOE would work for what I am asking.I have got molds from them in the past.

trapper 9260-

PM sent
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

trapper 9250 –

have you read this thread ? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...in-221-and-223
    you could try some of the loads listed as about 22 magnum to achieve a slower load in the 22-250 being it has a larger case than the 223

also an old thread on the 22-250 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=#1post623110
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

I have not until now.Here is the boolit I been usen that at 50 yards I have a 1/2 to 3/4" group.
    Rifle Bullet Mould: 22 Caliber - #225646

I just like to see about a lighter one to use.

Update on what I was asking about on this I had got a NOE mold 225-45-WFN 2 cavity 1GC ,1PB I test the speed of the one of the GC and then after I seen what the AV on it is. I went to a website for reduce a load and put in what the speed of a 22lr is that I found on the search on the internet and then adjust the powders to get my group and this is what I got for the PB one with the follow powders SR4756 4.7gr Hi 1409 Lo 1275 and the Av 1362 Then I use Red Dot 3.7gr and Hi 1371 Lo 1341 and Av 1356. For the data use it the way you want, I just give what work in the rifle I first stated.The OAL is 2.170.

Boolit Buddy
    The NOE 225-45 WFN is a good killer. I have punched squirrels from the tail end when running away and had full penetration out of the chest. Bang flop results if I do my part and get the lead into them. I mostly shoot them from a .221 fireball with 3.4gr of trail boss, deadly combo. I have ratcheted up the speed in my 222rem with 14 grains of H4895 and made hamburger out of their heads. Anyway, good choice for killing critters.

Boolit Buddy

My favorite for furry woodland creatures is the Lyman 225438 with Trailboss pushing it. I can get from 22LR speeds up to fast enough to start opening the groups up with that combination. It also has the advantage of working in everything 22 centerfire that I own.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

I seen for the flat nose of the boolit that it would be a good one on game.Thank you CWME for let me know how it work for you.i looking to use this on that also and whatever else.

Boolit Master
    I played with this idea for a few summers on groundhogs. The alloy used makes a huge difference in velocity. Straight linotype can boost velocity to about 2500 fps or more. Softer alloys(WW or Lyman#2) means maybe 2000 fps. I got best accuracy and terminal performance at1800-2000 fps with an alloy of lino/WW mixed to give about 12 BHN. Lino alone penciled thru and the Ghogs would get back in their holes. Softer and expansion was to much. Accuracy wasn't all that good either! I used these boolits in a 22-250 and several .223's, even a TC Contender with 14" and 21" barrels.
    My mold was a 55 grain Lyman that dropped at 50. Gas checked and lubed it ran 55 grains. I wouldn't go any lighter than 45 grains !

Boolit Master
    When referring to my OLD notes, I found where I had used Teflon tape on some of these bullets. The alloy COULD be a little softer and speed upped a bit. One load I chronoed said 2750 fps. No accuracy was listed though. I do not have the fingers to try to wrap Teflon on bullets any more! Arthritis and carpal tunnel takes a toll on the body! That velocity was taken with a 21" Contender barrel. BHN is listed as 10, the group appears to be slightly over an inch. Yes, I saved MY targets back then!