Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Rifle HV "HOW"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    After looking through six pages, only seen coupla folks (2-5) provide methods and results.
    And no clear definition of High Velocity (yes it would be calibre or even case volume specific to a degree).
    The saving grace so far is the annealing gas checks even though Btroj and Bjornb seem to provide information that sticks out as helpful to me.
    Having way more than one 30-06 I have one or two that will not shoot jacketed yet I can get great accuracy from cast approaching almost what I consider HV, which is a good bit higher than what some consider HV.
    Good thread even though three fourths is really unrelated in my opinion. Thank you gentlemen for your time.

Good points, Mike. Let's set some goals. Velocity? Accuracy? Other parameters? No sense in setting out on a trip without knowing our destination or what our mode of transportation may be. I suspect my goals are a bit lower than several folks here, I figure I'll learn more if the group's goals are higher than mine so I'll keep my personal goals to myself.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

okay so what's considered normal?
    1800 seems to be a pretty reasonable speed for most to be able to reach accuracy with.

is 2,000 pushing things?
    or the numbers Bjorn put up [which are lower than what I get with Remington cases and a 30" barrel] 2200 ish.
    thing get difficult right about there [with an off the shelf rifle] and you have to start searching for answers.
    what is going to help this thread immensely is participation I gave the load that works for me and other particulars.
    Bjorn shot fair groups using a completely different set of tools and load combination using my powder combination.
    a little dialing it in and his groups would surely shrink, they aren't off that much and the consistency is there.
    look at the holes.
    maybe he needs more powder [shrug, or a slightly faster one] with this combination.
    but for a starting load over 2200 fps that is pretty encouraging.
    it for sure didn't have a bunch of holes scattered all over the place and a pile of oblong holes showing poor stabilization.

Boolit Grand Master
    High velocity is what each person makes of it. Push your personal envelope. See how fast you can get accuracy, your definition, and then see if you can push the envelope farther.

It isn't a competition but rather a chance to see what YOU can do with your rifle. What is your limit? What can you do to push that limit.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

I'm a stickler for 1 MOA or better at any range. Reasons are twofold, it's a personal challenge to load that well and also to shoot that a sporting rifle that well, ten shots, and the other is an accurate rifle/load gives confidence in the field where one needs all the confidence they can muster at the "moment of truth". I tend to discount flyers, but if they occur consistently, say one in ten, that's too much for hunting. I disagree that 3.5 moa is good enough for 200 yard hunting, that's a pie plate. Couple that with my questionable ability to hit a pie plate from field positions in the first place, stack the tolerances, and next thing you know it may or may not be good enough past 100 yards. Like others have said, just my own take on it.

Anyone who's pushed the envelope a little with cast bullets using conventional loading techniques will note pretty much the same point at which groups start to dramatically open up. Apologies to Sgt Mike (I do agree with you) but it must be at least mentioned: Enter the elephant in the room.....what some propose to be an RPM threshold of the bullet. 140K rpm seems to be about the point which most people start having problems. HV, to me, means going past that accuracy/velocity "barrier" as I'll call it. We know where it is, it's easy to find in just about any rifle, and it does seem to correspond to RPM. I think we can all agree on what is "normal" velocity for a given rifle with cast bullets and what is "high velocity" based on that alone. Seem like a good enough definition of HV? When you really spin up a bullet fast, balance becomes paramount or good groups go out the window. There's more to it than twist rate, though, because simply slowing down the bullet's rotation at "high velocity" doesn't return the groups to what they were at lower velocity and same low RPM. Bottom line is the faster you push the bullet, the more forces work against launching a balanced bullet. Lowering RPM can mitigate the imbalance somewhat, but is not the full solution to maintaining fine groups at long range at significantly elevated velocity...only launching a bullet that is balanced in the first place can do that, then it doesn't matter how fast we shoot them, or how fast we spin them, they will group together well. HOW we manage to accomplish the launch of a balanced bullet is really what I think this thread is about. In STOCK rifles. I don't see too many stock 14-twist .30 caliber rifles with 30" barrels out there, maybe I shop at the wrong places?

SO you must get the bullet from the case to the bore straight so the lube groove shanks and nose are concentric with the bore and the base is square, and we must get it out of the muzzle without further damaging it. Tough to do past a certain point because of the forces involved with achieving HV. Let's talk about the methods we use to accomplish these tasks.

We already discussed bullet pull and I for one learned something about check annealing. What else?

Gear

Boolit Master
    My Ruger GSR w/FN barrel (1:12 twist) hit the wall with the softer alloys (aged COWW, water dropped) right on cue at 2350 fps. That's with the LC Match cases, WLR primers and no further match prep. Groups went to 2-2.5 MOA and trended larger. The powder used, H4831SC, is one I consider ideal for this application; I have used it extensively while shooting the XCB rifles and it always gave good accuracy and decent velocity.

Groups from the above shooting will be posted Sunday; should have some time in the evening.

I'll shoot this rifle one more time, this time with a lot more care: Lapua cases, CCI BR2 primers, Lyman#2 bullets sized to the rifle's throat (.311 gives near perfect fit). That should give an indication as to how much the XCB/bench rest type approach really matters. The goal is to achieve 2500 fps, which is a little faster than most shooters normally get in a 1:12 twist.

On a side note here: Btroj's XCB rifle, which I purchased from him a while back, has a 1:12 Krieger barrel. This rifle shoots MOA groups effortlessly with cast bullets at 2500 fps, and both Btroj and myself shot 2 MOA groups at 2700 fps. So a long barrel of top quality, tight match chamber and meticulous loading is certainly capable of pushing past the RPM threshold.

Banned

Mike, do you want to discuss techniques for successful HV cast shooting or sit around and argue about silly definitions? Tell ya what, I'm going to leave that up to YOU and all the other people who know so much more about this stuff than I do. I'm outta here.

Gear

Banned

sgt.mike,

Post a link to that original 1903 Springfield (remember you said 1903 Springfield and that means the military battle rifle) and it better not be to a special target model. From the few searches I did the original first 1903 Springfield had a 24 inch barrel and it had a very stupid rod bayonet. Note we're talking "that was issued".

Now back on track. I say anyone can use any rifle they want for HV...why the arguing? I know it says Stock rifle, but hey I'm not one that's going to say "Oh no no, you can't use that, it's a special built rifle". It is fun though to see what can be done with original milsurps and being many of us have gotten older and eyes worse far as I'm concerned you can scope your old milsurps. Of course the commercial "stock" rifles were made for scoping.

It's interesting how you all have jumped on the "anneal your gas checks" like a chicken on a June Bug. Going to tell you that's not utopia for HV shooting. The standard gas check doesn't spring back the amount of a brick mortar joint and besides the little amount it does the elasticity in the case neck springs back to grab the bullet. Besides neck tension or bullet pull isn't a very long occurrence. Almost all my ES's are single digit and SD's of very low single digits....without annealed checks. If that gives you confidence then by all means use them. I'm not jumping off the bridge.

One of the most important things is a very well cast bullet. If it's not cast well it's going to be a hard ball game to win. Just as Geargnasher said it's not rpm ruining everything. After all rpm rarely affects j-words shot at very HV. We all know that the cast bullet has to get started straight and it's not as tough as the j-word to be able to do that without a lot of help. Well cast just doesn't mean all filled out and with no voids, it's mean that plus very little weight variation between bullets. It's better found using a ladle. You can get very close with a bottom pour furnace. Bullet weight can vary (and size) by different temperatures. I think the theory or threshold should be called well cast bullet/started straight/right pressure range for the alloy/right powder theory. Oh you could add more to that, but rpm only affects an unbalanced bullet or one that started crooked and exits the muzzle crooked. I've read on this forum where runfiveruns daughter shot some impressive witnessed and measured groups with a 7 twist AR15 at HV. So apparently runfiverun, or his daughter got all their marbles lined up in that great feat.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'd like to start a conversation on how to shoot High Velocity castboolits in a stock rifle.
    I believe there are some who'd like to talk about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Please define "High Velocity" so all are on the same sheet of music.
    High as feasibly possible.
    Obviously higher than the typical (1600fps to 1900fps) published loads and up to the physical limits. Honestly I'm not smart enough to set the number, which I suspect will vary with caliber and other factors. This is more of a discussion of how to get there, not a actual number or range of numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Breech seating tools, bump dies, optical comparators? Any tooling restrictions?
    This is a discussion, not a competition. These are all interesting tools to discuss, as in, why are they used, what benefit do they offer. Also what can be done without these tools, that can nearly mimic their advantages.
    I respect your 'want' of some organization, but there is just not enough traffic to warrant sub-forums.

I am hoping for the general discussion of it here in this thread, and if there were a couple members or several who decide to take on some experimentation, I'd recommend starting a new thread, much like I did a year ago (see link below). While I did start that in my first SL68 lube thread (pre-SL68B), I decided to move that pursuit to it's own thread when I had some poor results and wanted more input, but I ended up getting discouraged and set aside the HV pursuit.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-1&highlight=

Or if you prefer to NOT start a new thread, feel free to post results in this thread, that is fine, I don't want to "herd" this conversation too much.
    I did start this thread as a discussion...and hoped some would post some range reports. Many of us have winter to contend with, and I know I won't/can't benchrest shoot for a month or so ...El Nino willing but plan to this Spring. I think we are still on track. We have some character's here for sure and if we can keep things on a positive suggestion based comments in regards to other's range reports and/or stated techniques, then we'll be fine. Some of us are more familiar with certain aspects than others and many of us(like myself) are at 'square one' of shooting cast at HV. Just a simple thing to keep in mind, we are all friends of the cast boolit, and we should be friends with each other...and should respect each other even when we disagree. OK?
    Jon
    ============================
    After looking through six pages, only seen coupla folks (2-5) provide methods and results.
    And no clear definition of High Velocity (yes it would be calibre or even case volume specific to a degree).
    ...snip
    That was not not the intent of my questions or recommendations Gear. Understand that if ya'll and the other participants and the OP define what is what. then its not apples and oranges comparison. I'm not defining the parameters period I just want to know what is what because then that makes me pick the right rifle out of the gun safe as I have 10 to 14 twist in the safe, some original barrels, some re-barrel, each one has a different length.
    So hence is why I am make recommendations to what TXGuntNut stated.

SO is it legal in this thread for me to pull out the original Stock palma 1903 30-06 1-14 twist 30" barrel as manufacture in the 1930s ???????? or will somebody cry foul???????????

If so I can start a different thread with a as issue Palma rifle, far far away from you as it really seems to offend you an that is really not my intentions at all.

I’m just actually wanting to get along, and not have what just happened happen
    Mike,
    Maybe when you read through the whole thread, you glanced over my posts, as I believe they will answer your questions.

Highlights from quotes above:

"I'd like to start a conversation" This is a conversation.

"Obviously higher than the typical (1600fps to 1900fps) published loads and up to the physical limits"

"This is a discussion, not a competition"

"I am hoping for the general discussion of it here in this thread, and if there were a couple members or several who decide to take on some experimentation"

"I did start this thread as a discussion...and hoped some would post some range reports"

"Some of us are more familiar with certain aspects than others and many of us(like myself) are at 'square one' of shooting cast at HV."

I assume the above highlights answer your concerns?

Now to precisely address your comment about "Stock".
    We've had a few threads about HV using rifle/s that are specifically designed and built with HV cast boolits in mind, and to be honest, if someone here wants to post some discussion and/or a range report, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it really doesn't fit the theme, does it? If you were to ask me for a suggestion, as to which of your rifles, you'd like to explore...I'd suggest one that may be the biggest challenge, but also not a problem child.

I didn't really want to post the following "out loud", because I didn't want to "steer it", that rarely works, letting a thread steer itself tends to have the best chance at the best results...but I suppose that may be like playing the lottery...anyway, here is my thoughts "out loud".
    >What I was dreaming of when I started this thread, was a kind of comprehensive mentor/protege type of thing. First some discussion then hopefully some posting range results, then more discussion. Those posting a range result would be the owner of their own goals. If 2600fps is OK or not ...or if 3 moa is OK or not... I like 10 shot groups, maybe others don't. I do like to call a flier, if I'm confident it was from the shooter(me). Yes the groups should be repeatable, but again, I'll leave that to each shooter to define as how repeatable.

Whether I define a set of rules, or leave it open, as I am...everyone spectating, will draw their own conclusion/opinion about each shooter...So I figure I will keep this easy. This thread is a learning project, if you feel you don't have any learning to do, please stick around and 'teach'. That was my goal anyway. To those posting range reports, the Key would be to keeping as complete details as possible, and be willing to hear suggestions toward improvement.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 01-20-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typos
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I would suggest that you shoot what you have. If it's a completely stock gun say so, if it's had modifications then report that. I believe that as the number of experimenters reporting in increase that trends will begin to emerge.

Sgt. Mike brings up good points regarding the content of report out postings. Any report out should include enough information to allow for duplication of the experiment (scientific method). To that end I would suggest including the following in reports:

• Gun
      • Make and model
      • Barrel material, length, twist rate, bore and land measurements
      • Chamber and throat information if available
      • Customizations in barrel, bedding, and chamber
      • Sights

• Boolit
      • Mold make and number
      • Alloy
      • Lube
      • Heat treating
      • Gas checks

• Brass and Load Assembly
      • Brass maker
      • Sizing details (full, neck, etc)
      • Trim length
      • Neck expansion
      • Any alterations to neck thickness (turning/reaming)

• Powder type and quantity
      • Buffers
      • Seating die type
      • Crimp

• Shooting Conditions
      • Temperature
      • Wind
      • Bench, prone, offhand

• Target Results
      • Distance
      • Velocity and how measured
      • Group (number of shots and size)

Pictures of the boolit and target should be included where possible.

I will be dedicating a Steyr Mannlicher Model 1950 Bolt Action in 270 with a 1:9 twist to this experiment. I have fired many tens of thousands of rounds of lead in handguns but I am just starting with lead in rifles.

To all of the more experienced members that are involved please be patient with us newer guys. You have laid a foundation that the rest of us can and want to build on.

Banned

Challenging Rifle why yes I do have one Jon thank you for the response, the 1903a3, not 100% as issue been restocked in a fiberglass Winchester model 70 stock, but the barrel is the original 1942 RA barrel.
    10 shots with called fliers, 3 MOA, over 1900 fps /2600 fps.
    Most of my methods have already been covered thus far in couple of other threads such as Casting methods by controlling the Mold and alloy temperature by obtaining a "tempo" or rhythm this aids in consistency. This is regardless of alloy one must monitor the process to establish the best temperature at the pot. The only way I have to check this is by visual inspection of fillout, length, and wt.

A straight push through sizer versus the Lyman/RCBS type seems thus far to give a more consistent sizing which for the above mentioned rifle which has a larger than normal throat and bore .310 works the best thus far in that rifle.

Lube I use 2700plus, checks are not annealed but rather uniformed in thickness.

once the weather warms up I have to re-shoot two different alloys again wheel weight water quenched versus Lino.
    The last set of groups caused a anomaly which blew out on the fourth firing of that load and setup at 2575 average velocity.
    Hope that helps. Again Thank you
    That rifle you mentioned is great for this. I don't care about a stock change out. Shucks you can even glass bed it for that matter in my opinion.

Maybe some folks don't have a stock rifle, be hard to imagine, but possible. BTW I consider varmint rifles stock too.

Boolit Master
    Ok, here is my 2 cents worth. Some cast bullet shooters in the schutzen game use barrels made by Ron Smith and the rifling starts out slow and steadily progresses till at some point you have a full value twist. The name is on the tip of my tounge as to what they call this method. Gain twist. Frank

Boolit Master

Guys, I want to contribute to this about my results with .308 Winchester. But right now in the higher elevations of WV, it looks like little Switzerland. We have had some minus degree temps. and the snow is still coming down! It may be awhile until I can get off-road and out into the woods to shoot! Some of you are probably in the same situation.

These pics are right behind my house.

Attachment 158710Attachment 158711
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I really appreciate threads like this but for me I have nothing to bring. I can get good results under 1800 fps from most of my cast shooting guns but when I try get over 2000 things open up too much for my liking and when I do get a decent shooting load one day it very seldom is repeatable. I simply gave up trying to go over 1800fps and have soothed my soul knowing this gun will shoot jacketed real good on any given day. I am not a loser, I simply have chosen to enjoy casting with in the realm of my ability. But I am always looking to learn and maybe I'll get over 2000 fps with repeatability some day.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

Guys let me say this and many aren't going to like it. There is NO single thing you can do to magically turn your cast shooting into a HV accuracy small group shoot. I know many are looking/waiting for that. An example would be if I said "weigh your bullets and you'll be guaranteed to shoot those very small groups at HV" just isn't going to happen. It's a combination of everything you do from casting your bullets to loading them and also your shooting ability.

A way to approach this is to shoot and then just change one thing at a time and see what it causes. Don't ever change more then one thing at time because then you don't know which thing caused a change.

Well said, vz!

Banned

Thank you Maven. Here's another thing that I'm positive almost all don't think about. Finesse......some have it, most don't. An example of that is you watch me reload and shoot a very good group at HV. Then you reload doing the things you watched me do, but it doesn't work out for you. That's finesse.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I know what you mean. Been trying to finesse my 6,5 Swede for several months.....just can't seem to get it together. Got the range all lined up, 312 yards as prescribed. It's a beauty, bought from Larry Gibson, so the rifle should already be trained. Cruise Missile bullet, buffer, it's all there. Just lacking the finesse........

Love Life
    The steps of the scientific method are to:

• Ask a Question.
    • Do Background Research.
    • Construct a Hypothesis.
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment.
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion.
    • Communicate Your Results

How to achieve goals:
    Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Realistic
    Timely

This is how I approached the subject.

I.P. check, can a brotha' get an I.P. check? I believe a currently banned member is here under a different name.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The steps of the scientific method are to:

• Ask a Question.
    • Do Background Research.
    • Construct a Hypothesis.
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment.
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion.
    • Communicate Your Results

How to achieve goals:
    Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Realistic
    Timely

This is how I approached the subject.

I.P. check, can a brotha' get an I.P. check? I believe a currently banned member is here under a different name.
    WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Read this:

vzerone

Boolit Master Join DateDec 2015Posts338

Originally Posted by geargnasher
    I mean the concept of making a bullet that basically fits 90% into the throat eliminates all but one real full-diameter bearing band, the loss was by design.

What are you doing to deal with excess neck clearance?

Gear

Geargnasher I learned how to do it off the same two guys you tried to learn it from. You know who they are.

On you're bullet we're discussing here, I've see the diagram of it. Here's what I think. That's a long gas check shank. I assume it has a thin coat of lube on it from lubing/sizing. I don't see much contact from the bullet in the case neck, mainly the check at the rear and perhaps little of the bearing ban at the mouth. Contrary to many beliefs if that bullet does get bumped up it's not really happening until it's in the bore. I don't believe it's immediate in the throat. I see all kind of misalignment with that design and I also have to wonder how often the gas check comes off the bullet. Think about it. If it bumps up in the bore, the lube on that exposed portion of the shank keeps it from fully obturating and that gas check is all by itself on the back end.

**Maybe you three will be smart enough to understand it. It's post #127 in the thread How Much Force A Bullet Exerts Against The Rifling.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast