Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolutionary pc liner

Boolit Master
    Found some on of the hex shape on Ebay for $1.79 including shipping coming from China, but they are all made there anyway. Used search: silicon trivet. These sound like a good idea as long as the base can be fully supported to create a flat base; that's the problem with laying the bullets down, uneven base.

@dragonheart
    What temperature can the cheap ones handle? What dimensions on the hexagons?

Boolit Master
    My silicone flat baking mats are rated for 500 degrees, and would assume these will be the similar, guess I will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture what the pocket ID would be. Would be nice to know before ordering and find out they are 1/8"!
    That looks like the same one I got at Walmart. Several different .45 bullets held just fine an smaller would hold better. Didnt check anything larger

Hey all

Thought I'd bump the thread a bit. I found a 3-pack of silicon trivets on Ebay for just $0.99 with free shipping. They appear to be the same as the much more expensive ones but they are dirt cheap.

Guess I'll find out if they're worthless or not soon.

They are found at http://www.ebay.com/itm/291572297403

Here are photos of them with a few of my first cast 22 boolits from this week. These are not my keepers - I just grabbed something to put into the hexagons for shape.

Silicon trivets hold 22 bullets

Here's a closeup.

Close up shot of my 22s

I've asked the seller what temperature these are good for - I am waiting to hear back. At $0.33 each including delivery the price cannot be beaten. If they stand up to the heat in the convection oven, I'll get enough of these to cover at least 6 trays so I can have 3 in the convection oven and 3 being prepped.

Revolutionary pc liner

And they work. 20 minutes at 400 in my Moulinex Moulin-air convection oven and the silicon trivet came out with no marks or melting. The black marks are the powder coat color I used.

Shoot I cannot easily upload from my phone. More photos shortly.

And now with a photo
    First try at powder coated bullets
    Last edited by OnceFired; 03-27-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Photo

Boolit Master
    To my knowledge I am the first to introduce silicone baking mats to this site. I don't know about the trivets, but my mats were advertised for use up to 500 degree temp. I have been using the same silicon mats for two years, cooking tens of thousands of bullets and they still work like new.

The mats / trivets are very similar. The ones above are rated to 450 - got that from the Ebay seller, who took it from item description he has.

Since I have a convection oven, I was hoping to have several square wire (hardware cloth type) shelves with the trivet / mat material laid over it so that boolits wouldn't drop through but the air could circulate easily in the oven.

Alas, that strategy will not work because the boolits roll around and come off the mats quite easily if they aren't placed in there vertically on the base. I need trays with a lip that is more like a cookie sheet for that.

And frankly my first batch was 352 projectiles which would have been a royal pain to place them all on the trivets. As it was, I realized just the effort of taking them out of the powdercoat bowl with hemastats was laborious let alone placing them neatly. That would have doubled my time at least.

But, if I want to go with super-sweet looking PC boolits I can now do that with these trivets. Good find overall and I would never have tried without your idea Dragonheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    It has been done, in an effort to ""convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun
    And even more disturbingly, very recently on the East German border. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-70

A payload of 80 steel cubes?? Nice!

Boolit Master
    Has anyone found any trays for bullets larger than 22's?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OnceFired View Post
    Hey all

Thought I'd bump the thread a bit. I found a 3-pack of silicon trivets on Ebay for just $0.99 with free shipping. They appear to be the same as the much more expensive ones but they are dirt cheap.

Guess I'll find out if they're worthless or not soon.

They are found at http://www.ebay.com/itm/291572297403
    I think that is the wrong link you posted... That one is for a wall-mount liquid soap / shampoo dispenser.

Banned

bought a bunch of different silicone matt things to hold bullets when I started the 22 cal thing because they were so hard to stack. Smoke suggested just dumping on foil and baking. He said the little bullets didn't tend to leave as bad of marks as the big bullets. I gave it a try and hes right. bake them and recoat and bake a second time and there about perfect. Still less work then trying to stack those tiny bullet in a tray with my club fingers or a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers. What I did with the 22 gas checked bullets Was cast them put on checks and size. tumble and bake, let cool tumble and bake a second time, water drop them when there done and size again. If you get a few different batches going so you at different steps with the different batches it doesn't take any more time. Bullets looked better then the bigger ones ive stood and done one coat on. So my wife inherited about a dozen of those silicone pot holders. They actually work pretty good for that!

has anyone tried the melt threshold of a plastic large primer tray. the hols fit the base of a 225450 boolit great. i havent tried coating the 22s though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12