WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Old Alcan primers from Germany

Old Alcan primers from Germany

Digging through some of my old ammo cans of stuff I came across this 250 count box of primers.

I wish I could add pictures but AI will describe them;

ANVIL PRIMERS CAL..210
    MAXIMUM SENSITIVITY
    FOR
    SUPER ACCURACY
    NON MERCURIC NON RUSTING
    NON EROSIVE
    NO.2845 LARGE RIFLE
    ALCAN COMPANY INC. ALTON ILLINOIS

MADE IN GERMANY

Also has three crest type of symbols on the box, one is "AL" held by two lions, one is the RWS symbol and the last is SINOXID in a six sided frame.

So, how old are they? I got them in the early 90s and they looked old then.

Yea, I know it is not the most important query of the day but inquiring minds just have to know.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Homer-Clark/104659734
    Check the lot code on the primer boxes - you may be able to decipher it
    http://gunlore.awardspace.info/gunknow/alcan.htm
    1961 Catalog ... http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10204957
    Regards
    John

I looked at all of the links that you sent and none of them have this same packaging. No lot number on mine either.

More info on the rear of the sleeve indicate these primers were made by RWS who was a subsidiary of Dynamit Nobel. I am pretty sure Alcan only distributed other manufacturers propellants, though they made other components for shot shells.

This would be from before S&W took over the sales.

Boolit Bub
    I have the exact same box with the markings you described. I was planning on shooting them but they may be a collectors item

Boolit Master

A couple of pics. (Sorry 'bout the blurry one) These are shotgun primers, but they still might help a bit with dating...

Also included is a pic of the Alcan powder ($2.80/4 ounces & 12.95/3 pounds) used with the shotgun reloading. The prices may give a time period of purchase...

I got them from my Uncle and I do believe he reloaded in the 70's, I think, although it might have been the early 80's...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_2829.jpg   000_3108.jpg   000_3104.jpg  

Well I hope they are still OK to use since I have a full 2,500 count "brick" of factory, still sealed in cellophane, Large Rifle primers that I am hoping to load up and shoot sometime! (I probably bought them at a gun show 20 years ago and haven't used them yet ... but they've been kept in a dry and clean storage box for all these years ...)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have been using s-p alcan in .38 and they are working fine.

Perhaps the experience below may be helpful...

A neighbor that gave up reloading some time in the mid 1990's gave me all of his equipment and supplies about two years ago. Everything had been tossed in a couple of cardboard boxes and stored in a shed with a lot of other unused junk. Fast forward about 20 years of hot humid Carolina summers, the invasion of all manner of insects into the boxes, a roof that at some point had begun leaking and you'll have an idea of the condition of the items I was gifted!

The powders that were in cardboard containers was totally degraded, the primers that had verdigris growing on the brass were also junked. However, the powders in tin cans looked and smelled fine and the primers that looked good ultimately proved to fire properly and with acceptable consistency.

The moral of the story is that even under the worst storage conditions powder and primers fair quite well over time and with reasonable care/storage, will out last most of us!
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

The Bullseye group I shot with in the early-mid 70's in Illinois bought Alcan primers 100,000 at a time for the members. I think I loaded the last I had about Y2K and they still went bang.
    NRA Benefactor Member