Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Hornady 7.62x39 die troubles

Boolit Master

Hornady 7.62x39 die troubles

Hey everyone. I've got a Hornady two die set for 7.62x39. I tried sizing some new factory brass using a head space gauge to test them after sizing.

Even with the shell holder kissing the die I can't get the case to get below the top step, telling me it's not headspacing correctly.

Do you guys know how to fix this problem? I thought about maybe grinding down the shellholder or even the die body to work the case further into the die. Or should I just try returning it for a new one?

Before you grind the shell holder or die body, try another shell holder. If it doesn't help, return the die with the brass you're attempting to resize to Hornady. Btw, a shell holder for the .38Spl./.357Mag. will often fit the 7.62 x 39mm base. I only mention this because you may have one of those lying around.

Banned

quite often just making the shell holder and the die touch is not enough to actually re-size the brass.
    try getting the two to touch and then turn the die in another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
    yeah it sounds like your gonna bust sumthin.
    but you need the extra little bit to get the brass to actually flow and be moved down, it's not uncommon.
    if that doesn't do the trick then you can make adjustments to the shell holder or the die.

one more thing.
    the rifle is the only thing you need to make sure the brass works in.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I have a Hornady #6 shellholder and the RCBS equivalent, neither budge the shoulder.

I'll try giving it a little extra turn.

I did try slipping a case into my Sig 556xi Russian and it appears to fit but I haven't primed or shot any yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 6.5 Grendel, that when I had the die touch the shellholder, I couldn't get the round to chamber well. Figured that there was a little play in the press and had to turn the die down, maybe 1/16th of a turn, for things to work well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    quite often just making the shell holder and the die touch is not enough to actually re-size the brass.
    try getting the two to touch and then turn the die in another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
    yeah it sounds like your gonna bust sumthin.
    but you need the extra little bit to get the brass to actually flow and be moved down, it's not uncommon.
    if that doesn't do the trick then you can make adjustments to the shell holder or the die.

one more thing.
    the rifle is the only thing you need to make sure the brass works in.
    I got another shipment of 300 brass cases in the mail today. After doing as you said I'm now 100% within spec! Thanks a lot for the good advise, you saved me a lot of time and headache.

Now I've got 200 cases that are slightly out of spec which are already primed. I'm hoping they cycle well.

Are you trimming your cases to length before checking them in your headspace gauge? Could that give you a false reading? I've never used one.

When I built my 250 Savage, I didn't have the go-no/go gauges. I used a factory loaded cartridge to set headspace. It is a bit snug. I have Lee dies for it. Setting it as the instructions say, Some fired cases after resizing didn't fit the chamber. Some very snug, some I couldn't close the bolt completely, only about halfway.
    I have a diamond coated sharping stone with a coarse and fine side. I took the shell holder and removed a bit of the shell holder. Tried sizing a tight case, removed a bit more and tried another case, repeated till the tightest cases chambered as they should.
    I have never used one of those gauges like you have. They are set up for SAMMI specs. I doubt your chamber is the same. There are tolerances in chamber dimensions. You say the first cases you sized chamber ok. Then it appears your chamber is a bit larger than your gauge.
    I have thought that those gauges are ok if you load for several firearms using the same cartridge. Even then I wouldn't use one. I trust the chamber in my guns more than any gauge.
    I always set my dies to match my gun. It's not hard to do and is very accurate.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Make up couple dummies and try them in your rifle. The rifle is the only gage I trust.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Are you trimming your cases to length before checking them in your headspace gauge? Could that give you a false reading? I've never used one.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/333...-gage-762x39mm

I use this thing. It has a small step on both sides. It will tell you if you need to trim and if your shoulder is good.

My test batch cycled well, but I had to put my gas system on the adverse setting. 27.0gr of H322 wasn't enough to cycle the gun. I'm only a grain and a half below max, so I guess I'll try to max it out next time.

Still way more accurate than the Tula I was using as comparison.