Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ta me Ideal 32-20 tool

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Stan:

Glad I got that right. On the Ideal No. 6 Duplex powder measure, I don't have any specific prices noted down; they were just too rich for me. Ordinary single-barrel No. 5's are going in the $100 range, and the old No. 1's about twice that. I traded off two of those; I'm happy with one working No. 5, a No. 55 and another that just came in needing cleanup. Go to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association Message Board and post a question there under "Ideal Tools"; you can post for free as a guest.

Floodgate

Floodgate

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

ideal tools

an interesting read.
    my first tool was a win 32/20 and mould.I still have it.friend had tool and 73 win.I loaded case with bulk shotgun and fired it finally bought sizer die.could not get gun but was given tools.bought win 73 in Burmingham ga. on way home after discharge from navy.paid $5.00 for gun.primers were $.35/100.I have a ideal tool in43 spainish and another in 32/40 another in win 44/40 got the decapers to. had them since 1950.
    WILDCATT

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLEJK View Post
    Doug...sure wanta thank ya's fer all this here info....

the mold makes good Boolits....was castin' em outa 160 parts WW to 1 part Tin.....I havta hold the mold right up to the spout on my lyman furnace er the base band doesn't fill very good...no vent lines trappin' the air I suspect....
    just had a ruptuereed disc took outa my neck taday so shootin's gonna be slim fer a spell n deer season here opens saturday....
    Hmmmm' 32-20 Brownin' new manufactured 1 n them #3118's at 1700-1800fps....40-70yd. shot broadside.....might just be what'll werk fer the conditions I got....n a blast ta boot...
    DJK- I can assure you that a straight WW 311316, sort of the GC version of the 3118, at about that speed from a Savage Sporter 23C is more than adequate for <200 lb deer given good shot placement. Stick one between the eye and ear (the poachers shot) and get your knife ready. Mind you I have the benefit of an ancient Weaver K-4 on mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I am currently working on an article for NCOWS on using the #4 tools. I have loaded boxes of 44 Russian and 38 S and Wesson with each tool and have sized the bullets with the tool. The main thing is that you have to take your time and line everything up good while you work. The tools don't resize the cases and the bullets are held by the b/p in the case and the crimp so smokless loads are out for these tools. If you load smokless the bullet could push down into the case under pressure. The bullet drops from my mould at .360 for the 38 S and W and sizes to 360 so the bullet is no more out of round from the sizer than from the mould. My toll drops the bullet 360x 359 and thats pretty darn good for a tool made prior to 1900. My tool came with the factory box, instructions and advertismnets. My 44 russian tool has had the mould removed but is still in fine shape and reloads great ammo. It is slow thoug and if I do a box of shells a night that is good work. By the By for the article I did the work in deer camp in a cabin on a wood stove with a kerosene lamp for light.

Boolit Master
    Somebody in one of the old books (Elmer Keith, maybe?) commented that the Ideal tong tools were made for an era where often the extent of one's personal property was limited to what one could carry on his horse (or on his own back). Any extra weight capacity was earmarked for powder and lead, rather than amenities to make the reloading job quicker and easier.

I just cast up a bunch of .32 Short and .32 Long heel boolits from a couple old Ideal tong tools, and have taken to using my .30 USA and .25-20 WCF for priming and seating chores. It's good discipline; keeps me from taking the compound linkage presses, full-length dies, interchangeable mould blocks and long cool handles completely for granted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12