MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 S&W Long?

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    marlinman93 from what I see on the MGM order form they only offer 1 in 10 twist like Outpost75 is using in his barrel.
    That should stabilize a very heavy bullet. Next question is what action are you building this on? Hopefully it's a solid action that will take more pressure than most .22LR actions? With heavy bullets, even a Winchester Low wall, that's good for this cartridge, could be marginal. If it's a action typically used for CF rifle cartridges, it should be no question with the .32 S&W Long, and heavy bullets.

Green Mountain used to have (may still have) .32 cal barrels for 32-20 with IIRC 1 in 16 twist. MGM might obtain one of these for you. If you want to fire heavier projectiles, the 1 in 10 twist will work much better. I don't.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Mold
    I built my .32 rifle on a 7.62 green mountain blank. i believe it is a 1-9.5 twist. I cut the chamber for the 327 federal, but she just loves the H&R cases with the rcbs 150 cowboy mould. I shoot 9.5 grains of reloader 7. I got the idea from Ed Harris's bunny gun threads at the cast bullet association forum. He said with older lots of rl 7 he was able to get 10 grains into the S&W long case with a 150 grain schuetzen bullet. I don't remember the name of it, but I could find it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140726_152346.jpg   20140726_152203.jpg  

Boolit Master

Heck of a first post, welcome aboard. Nice rifle, your own action?
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    The action is a design that I came across on the homegunsmith site a few years ago. I reduced the size of the drawing and made it to fit the 327 fed case. It has proven to be pretty accurate. It will stack up those 150 gr flat points in a 1 and 1/2 circle at 75 yards all day long.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    I am looking at going with a MGM barrel in 32 S&W Long as a 22 LR replacement. I am set up to load for it but will need to get some more brass for when kids are shooting with me. The question for any of you shooting this cartridge in a rifle is did you go with the standard chamber or did you go with making your chamber where you could use a heavier than standard boolit? MGM offers the option to send a dummy round and they cut the chamber for it. I was just wondering how others that have this chambering in a rifle cut their chamber?
    Thanks
    A couple of years ago I ordered a 32 H&R barrel from MGM. It is 21" long with a 1 in 16" twist. I had to wait longer because they only had 1 in 10" barrels readily available. I shot it a lot when I first received it but not so much lately. I finally settled on Harris' classic load of 2.5 gr. of Bullseye, 115 gr. RNFP (intended for the 32-20), 32 S&W Long cases, and seated long at 1.32" or so. Using a 4X scope this load shoots one ragged hold at 25 yards. At 50 yards, it opens up for me but that could just be all me and not the load. A few months later, I ordered an 18" 9mm barrel from MGM, but I have not shot it enough to have an opinion about how well it shoots or what loads to use. I tried several that work well in my pistols, but none of them produced good results. My shooting interest as of late has been on reloading for my various AR-15's using "j" bullets.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Reamer used to cut my .32 S&W Long RIFLE has the SAAMI minimum chamber body for the .32 S&W Long, as shown on the print for the standard velocity and pressure test barrel, with the ball seat, throat and angle of rifling origin cut to the same dimensions as shown on the SAAMI-dimensioned standard velocity and pressure test barrel for the 7.62x39. I have two rifles made using standard .30 caliber rifle blanks, one is a 10-inch twist and the other a 16" twist. Both barrels shoot well. The 16" twist is more accurate with bullets lighter than 100 grains, but the 10" twist will shoot 1-1/2" groups with factory 98-grain LRN loads at 50 yards, which is as good as that ammunition can do and also stabilizes 155-160-grain bullets subsonic with 6 grains of Alliant #2400, is very accurate and is a penetrating fool!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I sent an email to MGM about Outpost75's chamber suggestion but never got a response. In the time since I picked up a Yildiz folding 410 after seeing the 410 shotguns in several post. I talked with John Taylor this week and the 410 will be going to his shop. He said to send along the sights I want mounted so my question is which make of receiver sight have you that converted one of these small 410 shotgun used? I was looking at the XS or the Skinner models for the Contender as they looked like they would be easy to fit to the barrels contour and can be mounted close to your eye. Any suggestions on which receiver sight to go with would be appreciated, I would like to use a few different loads so ease of adjustment would be nice. Also did you use a dovetailed in front sight or did you need to use a ramp mounted front sight?
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have the sight(s) in hand, I would trial mount them with double sided tape to see which you like better. You might be able to mock one up from cardboard or scrap wood also.

I think the front sight will need a ramp, I could be wrong though.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12