Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Mauser

Banned

7mm Mauser

I've always liked the 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) but time and money constraints pushed me in other directions. The 7mm Mauser remained a flickering flame in the back of my mind and a recent thread rekindled my thoughts concerning that cartridge.
    So I would now like to tap into the knowledge and opinions on this forum:
    In the field of military surplus rifles, what would be the best bet in terms of an old rifle chambered in 7mm Mauser?

In Remembrance

My ranking in order of strength would be...(1) Any Model 98 action, (2) The Model 95 action, (3) The Model 93 action. The last 2 I mentioned lack the strength of higher pressure 7 mm loads that the 98 action will take. Just my .02 cents worth.Robert

Boolit Master
    The 98 is superior to the other Mausers not just because of strength, but because it's better at handling escaping gas from a failed cartridge case. Unlike many (Or all?) commercial 98 actions a true military 98 action has only one extractor cutout in the receiver ring. Their bolt-to-barrel fit up is extremely tight, with very little unsupported brass. Should a case fail anyway, there's not much opening at the breech to allow gas escape and the thumb cut in the left rail helps dump any gas traveling down the lug raceway toward the shooter's face. Finally, the large flange on the bolt sleeve helps deflect any remaining gas from the shooter's face and eye.

If you're interested in comparing the various Mauser designs, or just learning about their strengths and weaknesses, I highly recommend Stuart Otteson's books Bolt Action Rifles, Volumes 1 and 2. I believe they might be available on CD now.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

I agree that the Model 98 is top of the line but if you can find a Model 95 manufactured in Germany......go for it!
    I can load my M95 to the top of the established working pressure (45,000psi) without any problem.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

all of the German made Mausers are good guns. the 1895s and 1893s dont have the gas handling capabilities of the 1898 but they will definitely handle the 7x57 very well.

the antique status of alot of the German made South American mausers is a nice plus

My chilean 1895 has sadly been converted to 7.62 Nato.

I have an Interarms Mark X from Manchester England..it's a 98 Mauser action....absolutely wonderful caliber....I'd think the 98 actions would be my choice...great caliber!!

Banned
    I'm familiar with the differences between the 93/95/98 Mauser actions and agree the 98 is by far the best. Unfortunately most of the South American models originally chambered in 7 x 57mm are the earlier actions. The 1898's on the market are overwhelmingly chambered in 8mm (7.92).
    I'm not overly concerned about collector's value so maybe I should be looking for 98 to re-barrel. Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've always liked the 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) but time and money constraints pushed me in other directions. The 7mm Mauser remained a flickering flame in the back of my mind and a recent thread rekindled my thoughts concerning that cartridge.
    So I would now like to tap into the knowledge and opinions on this forum:
    In the field of military surplus rifles, what would be the best bet in terms of an old rifle chambered in 7mm Mauser?

I would pick the 98 Mauser action, right now I shoot a Remington 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 7x57 Mauser, it has been putting venison in the freezer for years.
    140 grain Nosler Partition bullets at 2830 fps really drop deer fast........
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master
    i sure like the quality of the vz24's and if I am the only one that likes them is fine to me. I found a brand new 7mm mauser military barrel from Gun Parts and that has made one of the sweetest mausers I have! Much lighter profile than the 8mm barrel. Functions perfect and keeps the action in the mauser family with that cartridge.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1908 Brazilian (DWM, '98 action) 7x57 and have killed more deer with it than any other rifle. I have seen a Spanish 1916 ('93 action) 7x57 that was wrecked by a deliberate overload, probably a case full of Bullseye. The owner of that rifle, who is a member here but shall go unnamed, was the target of an apparent attempt on his life via various booby-trapped rounds being planted in his reloading room. In fact I was hit in the knee by a chunk of cylinder from his SP101 when he fired it at the range while I was standing next to him.

As for the Mauser, it held together under pressure that permanently welded the bolt closed. Quite a testimony to the strength of even a Spanish '93 Mauser.

Banned
    Well, let's not go there.

I'd like to find a 98 chambered in 7 x 57 that still has a decent barrel.

I've got a '95 Chileno in 7x57. First caliber I started reloading with....
    I experienced case separation once at the range and can attest the gas comes back directly into your face. Had I not been wearing eye protection, I may have been injured.

As others state, I would think a re-barreled '98 would give the best of all worlds! I really love the cartridge, but keep pressure to minimum levels. A guy could really wring out the performance of the cartridge with that setup....
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

I'd suggest that the fact that these very old rifles still exist is testimony to their worthiness. Bell used one (a Rigby sporter) for elephant and he shot a lot of elephant! But that was using 174gr round nose 'solids'. Those bullets would exit the elephants skull and elephant skulls are very large and thick.

If I hadn't started on the 303 Brit (more available and rich in history), the 7x57 would have been my passion.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    303Guy,
    "If I hadn't started on the 303 Brit (more available and rich in history), the 7x57 would have been my passion."
    You're lucky, they are both my passion

I've thought about chambering a Lee Enfield in 7x57 rimmed. Best of both worlds. Well, there's nothing wrong with a Mauser or the 303 cartridge.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    My first centerfire rifle was a Lee-Enfield. I also had several Mausers and a really nice Springfield 03. Wish I had the foresight to hang onto those rifles but unfortunately they were replaced as my youthful impulsive interests changed.

Boolit Bub
    My 7x57 is built on a Smith Corona 1903A3 action with 03 lower metal and bolt. Douglas Premium Barrel @ 9.5. Is it weird that I have a similar "custom" rifle in 30.06 on a 98 Mauser action? Some folks are just contrary I guess.

My 7 shoots 140 to 160 grain MOA or better but prefers the 160grain pills, and that is fine with me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I'd suggest that the fact that these very old rifles still exist is testimony to their worthiness. Bell used one (a Rigby sporter) for elephant and he shot a lot of elephant! But that was using 174gr round nose 'solids'. Those bullets would exit the elephants skull and elephant skulls are very large and thick.

If I hadn't started on the 303 Brit (more available and rich in history), the 7x57 would have been my passion.
    I sold off all of the rifles I don't use, the only two I keep are a No5Mk1 303 and my Remington Mountain rifle in 7x57 Mauser.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Well, let's not go there.

I'd like to find a 98 chambered in 7 x 57 that still has a decent barrel.
    For that I would look around for a Brazilian Mauser. DWM manufactured. Some nice examples are still able to be found.

Banned
    I am also a fan of the VZ24 rifles. I found a short, cavalry style carbine many years ago. Bent bolt instead of straight, etc.

I restocked it and bought a mold from NOE that accommodates the slightly larger European dimensions. It is a superlative shooter. The fact that it is beautiful is a bonus.

If you can find a BRNO VZ24 in 7X57 you are on your way. Here is a before and after.

Attachment 157758Attachment 157759

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast