MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Mauser

Boolit Master
    My 7 x 57 is a Remington 700 Classic. It's a consistent sub-MOA rifle and can easily handle being loaded much hotter than the weak commercial loads sold by American ammunition companies. I drive the 139 gr. Hornady spire point very close to 2900 with no pressure problems at all. The trajectory matches factory 150 gr 30-06 loads but with slightly less recoil. That load also delivers equal or even slightly higher energy at 300 yards when compared to 150 .30-06 factory ammo. All of this means it's an easy and reliable 300 yard deer rifle, with modest recoil and mild report but plenty of power.

Those 139 gr Hornadys give perfect results on game and I couldn't imagine a better combination for deer hunting in WI farm country where ranges run from very close to as far as you care to try. My personal maximum would be about 300 yards except perhaps for very rare circumstances, and for this old curmudgeon the 7x57 is ideal.

Most of the guys I've seen with superloudengoboomers chambered in fire-breathing long range cartridges couldn't shoot well enough to take advantage of them anyway. One fellow tried to convince me that his .300 Winchester Short Magnum doesn't drop at all for the first 300 yards and is therefore well-suited to extreme long ranges. I didn't argue. Magical anti-gravity aside that 300 WSM is a fine long-range cartridge, but I'd guess such casual understanding of ballistics doesn't bode well for his shooting ability.

Uncle R.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by str8shot426 View Post
    For that I would look around for a Brazilian Mauser. DWM manufactured. Some nice examples are still able to be found.
    Thanks !

My custom 7x57 is on a 1908 DWM and is one of the tightest 98 actions I have come across. 25 in barrel drives the 160gn Woodleigh bullet to 2700fps, the 120gn G S Custom bullet to 3200fos and my 20 piece cast bullet to 2400. Excellent accuracy.
    I have another that I am going to start on soon with a 1916 S R 98 action that I will do for a light hill rifle with a blind mag stock.

A Mauser 7x57 and Lee Speed styled sporting 303 has to be two of the all time greats that have killed more game worldwide than about any other two cartridges.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    The 7MM Mauser is a all time great round. So is the 6.5 Swedish round. As long as you reload with pressure limit the 93 and 95 action are safe to use. Like other have said the 98 action is stronger and has a better venting system then the other action. The 257 Robert is base on the 7MM round neck down.

Boolit Master

I like the cartridge so much I converted a M1 Garand to that caliber! Unfortunately, I've only loaded jacketed cartridges for the rifle so I can't provide any guidance on cast loads but the Hornady 139gr and their 154gr bullets are awesome performers out to 300 yards.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

You are looking for either an FN-made Venezuelan contract 98 Mauser (often called a 24/30) or a DWM made 1908 Brazilian 98 Mauser. I read that the DWM 1908s are the best quality action of any military Mauser 98. But the FN Venezuelans are also a very good choice. BTW milsurp 7x57 grooves are deep, like .287 or more, unlike U.S. civilian .284.

I have a 7x57 Improved 28 deg that shoots the 145gn RCBS boolit very well as this 10 shot at 100yds indicates!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Last week at the gun show(OGCA) I saw about a dozen 7mm Mausers that ranged in price from $250.00 to $475.00. The choices were pretty much split between the 1908 Brazilian and the 1912(Steyr) Chilean. I ran across a beautiful Brazilian, but couldn't get the guy to budge below $400.00. Also saw a 1912/61 Chilean short rifle that had been rebarreled or rebored to 7.62 NATO, the bore in this looked like new.

When ever I have thoughts of another rifle, I carry my trusty Parker-Hale plastic coated rod with me. If your going to shoot cast, you need a NICE bore!........

Boolit Buddy
    My all time favorite catridge. I have a Model 70 lightweight in 7x57. I bought it when I was 17 it was my first bolt action rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I too, would recommend the model 1908 Brazil 98 DMW action mauser. Had one I bought off a gent for very very little money. Shot it maybe a couple of times before putting it in a cabinet where it stayed for a few years unfired. Then a shooting buddy needed a surplus military rifle to use in our private range's monthly military rifle competition. I owed him a favor, so gave him the rifle. I had a fair number of surplus rifles I could use in the competition. The guy has some darn nice and pricey benchrest shooting rifles. He came to really like the 7x57 cartridge Brazil and he showed me a target one day he'd shot with a load he'd developed for it. LOL, if I'd known how well the Brazil 1908 could shoot, I sure wouldn't have given it to him.

If you can find one in decent condition....which I seriously doubt, a model 1936 Mexican 7x57. Price, just the action of the hard to find 1936 Mexican is probably over $400 plus.
    Last edited by Huffmanite; 01-18-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They are still out there! You might have to look high and low for a while, but there are plenty of them around. The big deal if you are a lead shooter is the bore has to be REAL CLEAN and the only way you know this is to carry a cleaning rod with you. If the person selling that "jewel of the Amazon" won't allow you to push a patch thru the bore, thank them for there time and move on down the isle. The worst thing you can do is drag home a rifle with a badly pitted bore.......................

Banned
    Why no love for the BRNO VZ24 rifles?

I consider them to be the apex of military mauser manufacture, and I am not alone.

The Czechs know their stuff.
    Last edited by sghart3578; 01-24-2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: poor spelling

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post

I consider them to be the apex of military mauser manufacture, and I am not alone.

The Czechs no their stuff.
    I agree they are a good rifle. I built one custom on the action, and have one still in military dress. The custom will do one hole if you can hold it. The military will do under 2" at a hundred yards. Not bad for an old rifle, iron sights, and old eyes.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post

The Czechs no their stuff.
    How many 7mm vz24s were made, and how many imported to the U.S.? Seems to be limited to a small batch barreled for revolutionaries, then intercepted by Brazilian authorities.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    How many 7mm vz24s were made, and how many imported to the U.S.? Seems to be limited to a small batch barreled for revolutionaries, then intercepted by Brazilian authorities.
    That I couldn't tell you. I found mine in a 55 gallon drum of 8mm Mausers in a gun shop in 1989.

The owner actually said to me "You don't want that one, it's only a 7MM." I bought it because it was 50% cheaper than the others.

Go figure.

Steve in N CA

My 7mm Mauser is in a 95 Mauser that has become my son's youth rifle, I have 98 Mausers in many other calibers that are much higher pressure than the 7 mm Mauser, the 7mm Mauser is cheaper to find in the small ring Mauser 95 and 93 the large ring 98 will bring a bigger price

Boolit Buddy
    I replied 8 days ago on a military 7x57 rifle to buy. Neglected to mention the 7x57 1895 Chile small ring mauser which should be relatively easy to find. They are nicely made.

FWIW, if you just want a 7x57 rifle, find a cheapo/well used/Stevens 200 long action or whatever cheap rifle using the Savage barrel nut system and buy a new Savage replacement barrel for it chambered in 7x57. I did this with a Marlin X rifle (savage barrel nut system) and had a Ruger 77 tang safety rebarrel to 7x57.....needless to say, I enjoy shooting the old 7x57 cartridge. And being both are on commercial/modern actions, don't need to worry much about MAX load data usually furnished for the 7x57, as the data is based on the pressures the older 93/95 could withstand.

Check alliant site for load data for the 6.5x55 swede cartridge. Shows military action rifles (the small ring 94/96/38 military small ring actions) and commercial action rifles. What is a max load in the Swedish military action, is the start load for the commercial action rifles.

Now that I mentioned the 6.5x55 Swede, realized it too is one heck of a nice, mild recoil cartridge that often described as "inherently accurate"....own several rifles in this cartridge. Swedish military rifles are fairly common and should be easy to find. Also, Swedes took good care of their rifles and when sold as surplus in the U.S., were in darn nice condition.

We shoot a military rifle competition at range I'm a member. I'm supposedly some kind of expert on military rifles. While I know a fair amount about surplus bolt action military rifles, I'm hardly an expert. But, when some member asks my opinion on what old surplus military rifle (has to be a rifle adopted and in use by any country, 1954 or earlier) to buy to be able to participate in our competition, the 96 or M38 Swede in 6.5x55 is one of just a few rifles I'll recommend.
    Last edited by Huffmanite; 01-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.

There are numerous 98's in 7x57. In addition to the Brazilian 1908 (DWM and Oberndorf) long and short rifles, Chileno 1912 Steyr long and short rifles(also Guatemala), Brazilian BRNO VZ24 short rifles, Venezuelan FN 24/30 short rifles and carbines, and Mexican 1936 short rifle, there are quite a few others that also rank.

Brazilian 1935 (Oberndorf) long rifles are the finest shooters in the group IMO. Also the Brazilian & Chileno 1935 (Oberndorf) short rifles, Mexican 1910 (Mexico) long rifles, Mexican 1924 (FN) rifles and carbines, and the Brazilian 1922 (FN) carbine. There are also many others, not listed, that are less frequently seen.

Any of those listed above, in good condition, suit the bill. All were made at the peak of "pride in craftsmanship" era from 1900-1940. Never again will we see craftsmanship like this in "mass production"! We've become too tolerant!

European bore size during this time, as mentioned runs .287; and NOE, last I looked had a couple choices in heavier molds (168-170) range. The remade RCBS 168 is my all time favorite for these rifles.

Best Regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    ....A Mauser 7x57 and Lee Speed styled sporting 303 has to be two of the all time greats that have killed more game worldwide than about any other two cartridges.
    I'd venture to say the the 7.62x39 is catching up. Man's got to feed his family and the AK is prevalent throughout the world.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by 7s&8s View Post
    ... Any of those listed above, in good condition, suit the bill. All were made at the peak of "pride in craftsmanship" era from 1900-1940. Never again will we see craftsmanship like this in "mass production"! We've become too tolerant!
    Truth! Those rifles showed some real craftsmanship. No "Tupperware" stocks nor spot welds on sheet metal stamping on some military weapons like today...
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast