Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prvi Partizan vs. Hornady 30-30 brass

Boolit Master
    I use The Privi 8mm Lebel. Works well. And I don't have to get 348 Win.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

After using it in multiple semi-obscure military calibers, I fully concur with comments regarding the high quality of Prvi Partizan brass. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that Hornady uses Prvi brass to load their obscure military ammo (in cooperation with Graf and Sons), like the 6.5 Carcano, 7.7 Japanese and 8mm Steyr.

Boolit Bub
    What I'd like to know is why Hornady brass costs so much more than any other brand, including Lapua at times.

Not sure but I don't think that Hornady actually makes any of their own brass, contracted out but to whom? But back to a comment that was made to the fact that the American Mfg are not holding up to the market, just look at Starline. No they don't have bottleneck rifle cases but when it comes to pistol calibers they are trying very hard to expand on the market and some day they may have BNR brass as well.
    Charlie

Tom: I have both new PPU and Hornady Brass for my .303. They are basically the same quality, but I can buy PPU .303 loaded ammo for $13-14 a box from SGA Ammo and Hornady doesn't sell anything for $14. Then I reload OF cases that fit my chamber perfectly.

Privi Partisan ammo is made in Serbia,,, Them Serbs know how to make some good stuff, and Start Ship!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Not sure but I don't think that Hornady actually makes any of their own brass, contracted out but to whom? But back to a comment that was made to the fact that the American Mfg are not holding up to the market, just look at Starline. No they don't have bottleneck rifle cases but when it comes to pistol calibers they are trying very hard to expand on the market and some day they may have BNR brass as well.
    Charlie
    One of my close shooting friends, who is very involved in the shooting world, recently spent a field day trip at the Hornady brass factory. I'd say it's safe to assume they make their own brass. I don't think they make their own coins though.

Prvi is top notch brass and loaded ammo both. I've recently tested some Prvi 308 match ammo with a 168 grains hollow point boattail and it was as good or better then anything else similar I tested. The bullets by the way looked very similar to Sierra's MK.

Boolit Master
    I bought 50 Hornady brass in 30-30 when I couldn't find brass for my 32 WS. I resized the brass to 32 WS and did 12 cycles of reload without a failure-- no cracks and no annealing. Then when I finally bought a 30-30 I resized them back to 30-30 and have since done 6 more reloads. Still no cracks and I have not annealed them. My conclusion is that the Hornady brass is good stuff. Most of my cracked brass has been Remington and FC-- both with fewer reloads.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JNG3 View Post
    What I'd like to know is why Hornady brass costs so much more than any other brand, including Lapua at times.
    Ya Ive been looking for some 45acp brass, and was just filling out a order. I couldn't believe that the Hornady brass was SOMUCH more then all other brands!!!

Hi Fellow,

How many 45 ACP cases do you need? PM sent.

Take care, Tom

The only problem with Prvi 30-30 I've had is some of the rims are thicker than others. The difference is so noticeable I can barely get the case in or out of the shell holder. I keep using them, and they work fine in the rifle. This happened on perhaps 5 cases in a bag of 100. For the price, I can live with it.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    I found my late father's Marlin recently. I got some Prvi factory ammo for it, since I didn't have the dies yet. I've used PPU brass for years in my Mosin with no problems. Strangely enough, it jammed in the Marlin. I had to slap the lever hard to get it to feed. I reloaded it later on, and still had the same problem. I then bought some once fired R-P, FC, and Win brass, and the jamming stopped.

As far as Pistol brass is concerned it depends on the caliber. Anything Semi Rimmed needs to have *-* on the base.(Starline) if you buy it new.

As far as Rimless cases go I can't bring myself to spend money on them since there is a virtually endless supply at any shooting range.

I did buy one of those Nut Wizards to pick up brass and I can fill a 5 gallon bucket in about an hour. I was mainly trying to pickup only .40 S&W brass but ended up with so much .45 ACP brass I had to buy a Gun and Reloading Machine to use it.

9mm brass gets converted (trimmed to length) into 9x18 Makarov cases and it really doesn't matter who made it as 9MM brass is everywhere.

When it comes to Rifle Brass. I bought 200 Starline .45-70 cases which will last me forever. A friend gave me 1400 .30-06 FC once fired cases and about 600 .308 FC's and since the original 100 FC.308's I bought for my Scout Rifle are now on their 10th reloading I guess I'm good to go there as well.

My 200 New Hornady .303's will be converted to .35-303 and will stay with that gun forever. Neck Sizing is the savior of all .303 cases.

All my Privi .303 brass came from factory loaded ammo and so far is doing nicely being reloaded to near factory intensity. Once again Neck Sized only.

my .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Get the prvi its fine don't spend the extra I personaly think hornaday is way over priced on there brass I have 6.5 and 8mm and .303 brass made by pravi from 1990's that is still working good and thier hornet brass is very good also

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12