Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anybody try a 200gn bullet or boolits in a 300blk?

Anybody try a 200gn bullet or boolits in a 300blk?

Most people shoot 155-160gn super's and 230-250gn subs. Except for the Hornady 208gn A-Max.
    I have a bunch of different j-words and maybe even 200gn 30cal mold laying around. Not anything I see in a manual for a load. What powder/starting load would you try? Assuming subsonic.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

This would also be determined by platform, and second after a dummy round is seated for cartridge length. Single or bolt with lead, I'd start with 2.5grn charges of fast pistol powder:red dot, bullseye, 700x, titegroup, etc...
    with jacketed, I'd start with start charges of heavier bullets. Little more research and I'll bet you'll find plenty who have tread this path.

Boolit Master

My Lee 312-185 drops at 192gr or so with my alloy. 11.2gr 1680 will cycle my 12.5" pistol gas system at 1050fps

When i had my BO a few years ago i used just about every thing in it 125-220 jacket and cast without issue it was little different than what most guys have . Was a 20 in barrel with 12 twist and carbine lenght gas system and a .100 port i used powders from 2400 up through pulled down russian 54r powder with good results and good accuracy . Used alot of the 311299 200 gr bullets over a full case of that russian 54r powder 4198 and RE 7 also workded well . Really depends on what will function your rifle if its a semi
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I've shot 180gr up through 230gr in mine, cast(230gr) and jacketed(all the other weights). All subsonic, AR and Encore, both with 16" 8 twist barrels. It was much harder to get loads that cycled in the AR when I dropped to the 180's and 190's. With the 208gr bullets there is a good bit of published data. I would start there. The latest Hornady book has loads from 110-220. The Hodgdons magazine manual also has loads listed for the blk in several weights. I assume you are wanting subsonic???

Boolit Master
    The powder charge for subsonic depends on the case. I shoot alot of subsonic, theres no one recipe that works, it varies by the case, barrel length, etc. My 30-30 w a 200gr is around 6 gr of S1000, 7 gr of S1000 gets a 230gr bullet going. Now my mosin, everything is the same, except the case capacity. Its closer ot 11gr of S1000 to launch those bullets out of it at the same velocity. And then whatever load works at my house, up on the Cumberland plateau, changes when I got my friends house down lower.

Your really gonna need a chrony to work it up.

Boolit Buddy
    6.0 grains of Unique if it doesn't have to cycle.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Yes, subsonic. I've shot the 208gn Hornady as well as the 247gn cast. Just looking for more options in the sub range. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master

I've run the 311299 in a 10.5" pistol. I did have a Wolff reduced power buffer spring.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I like RL 7 for the 300BLK. 12.5 gr. cycles the Lee 230 in my carbine.
    I s'pose that would be supersonic, tho...

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    1/10 bbl NOE 310-196 MX2-30H 15.7 Rel 7 MML+. LOVE IT,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar