Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor range outrage

Indoor range outrage

Went to the indoor range near the wife's parents house in the metro east today. For the past few years the agreement has been that she gets an extended visit and I get to burn powder and tranquility rules at the home stead.

I always take my own ammo (loaded with boolits of course) and my prefferred targets; paper plates with target spots on them. Cheap, visable, and room to write load data on them if you get a good one. In the past I bought one of the ranges cardboard squarish silhouette targets to staple my plates onto. I usually then gave the cardboard target to another shooter at the end of my session.

Today I arrived with my own 2'x2' square of cardboard to staple my plates to. I always bring my own stapel gun too. The clerk asked if I needed targets and I told him I was good. After two hours of the zen of Ruger single actions and a nice visit with a fellow handloader it was time to go. ($18 per hour but what the heck).

When I went to settle up I was told that I could not hang cardboard from the target hangers in the future and that my paper plates were gasp NOT APPROVED TARGETS gasp. I pointed out that I was not competing in any match so it shouldn't matter what my target was. I was informed that insurance required that only approved targets be used to avoid people shooting out lights or shooting the cables in two.

I was asked to not bring cardboard or plates in the future. It was ponted out that they had approved targets for sale. This is really a moot point since I won't be going back.

I could see a problem if I were putting up breakable targets, pictures of religoius leaders, obscene pictures, or otherwise dangerous or offensive items but I have shot at paper plates for several years and on other occassions at this
    range. The clerk did say that the range owner had seen my plates and gotten on the clerks case about it.

In short it shouldn't matter if a paying customer uses his own targets on a slot he is renting at a more than fair hourly rate. To say that I am annoyed is an understatement.

Has anybody else had similar bad experiences at indoor ranges?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    The reason he was annoyed was probably because he couldn't SELL you his more expensive targets and make more money . . . . . .at least that's my take on it.

Boolit Master
    just buy some of his targets, just a few, and use lots pasters all over them for POAs. @$18/hr, who cares, and wifey is happy, you are happy, the world is good....

added for emphasis: IOWs, make FULL use of all the paper!
    Last edited by sundog; 04-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.

I have been (ONCE) to an indoor range near my wife's parents place that has a sign by the entrance door that specifically forbids bringing in targets or handloaded ammo. So you have to buy their targets and either be able to prove any ammo you bring in is factory or else buy ammo from the range. And it AIN'T cheap! On top of that, it is handguns only and the ceiling is .44 Magnum. Plus, Contenders and Encores are not allowed regardless of caliber! Like I said, I have been once. There won't be a second trip.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Grand Master

Huh! There's one around here that makes you buy your ammunition from them. Not just no reloads, factory ammo from Wal-Mart is no good either. There's another that won't let you shoot Winchester white box nine. Dangerous, don't you know...

I don't know how they stay in business. They certainly don't get any from me!

Sounds like a range run by the bunch at 1911.org. They have lots of rules that don't make sense either.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Grand Master
    "Sounds like a range run by the bunch at 1911.org. They have lots of rules that don't make sense either."

Like what? Curious, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    "Sounds like a range run by the bunch at 1911.org. They have lots of rules that don't make sense either."

About 6 months ago a guy was selling WWI vintage magazines on GunBroker for 99˘, no reserve. So I posted a link in the Collector's forum. You know, as a heads up for the collector crowd. Well, the powers that be took umbrage, deleted the post, and banned me. Not my kind of hang-out...
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    Had a like problem at an indoor here in L.A. Range had always allowed cast boolits and steel shooting. they provided the steel and lead was cool. I mostly shoot outside and it can be a few years between indoor range trips. Fast forward to my company moving a little more local to this guys range, now I can stop on the way home and shoot!

One of my guys at work went with me first time, Rules were simple buy our "lead free ammo only, all brass belongs to them, they'll tell me if I'm "qualified" to use the range!

Seems the original owner sold out to someone "new". I told them I wasn't prepared to deal with these issues and I'd find another place to shoot. They suggested I'd crawl back to them in a week as all the other indoor ranges were doing the same thing.

I suggested they'd be out of business before I 'd be back!

6 months ago I saw a for sale sign on the property, never even stopped in to ask what happened.

The indoor range I visit once a year or so near my parents house requires you to buy targets and ammo from them. I only go to spend some time with my dad. I only shoot rimfires there.

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by heavyMetal View Post
    One of my guys at work went with me first time, Rules were simple buy our "lead free ammo only, all brass belongs to them, they'll tell me if I'm "qualified" to use the range!
    Great stuff... first they rape you on the lead free ammo then finish it off by stealing your brass!

Don't have that problem at our local indoor range in Sacramento, California. All handgun calibers are okay, and they're happy to have you bring your own ammunition. Their only rule is that if you're renting one of their firearms, that you buy the ammo from them - which seems pretty reasonable. They'll even allow my Winchester 94's since they're chambered in 357 and 44 magnum. People bring in their own targets, and they've got some fun ones for purchase too. I routinely buy targets from them to use at the outdoor range close to my office. They're doing well enough that there is usually a short wait to get on one of the 25 shooting lanes. Nice to do business with guys who seem to have it figured out.
    Last edited by LET-CA; 04-21-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Our local range sits in the middle of a coolie and has 2 wooden benchs. No cost to shoot and 100, 200 aand 300 yard target bases. The wind is such that you better be off of it by 10:00 AM. I see others on it near deer season but not the rest of the year. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

They seem to make the rules up as they go.
    I asked for help with the value of a Colt Delta and they deleted the post and threatened to ban me???
    Strange bunch & life is too short to squander it dealing with fools.
    Sure hope that incident doesn't go on my permanent record....

Jack

Yes, it will....And you're on double secret probation
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I can't complain about the local indoor range I go to when I can't get to my regular outdoor range.
    It is owned by the county and when open to the public, is run by one of the local gun clubs. The range is open Sat and Sun afternoons and Tue/Thur evenings. The cost is $10/hr. You can shoot 50yd standing, 50yd bench and 100 yd bench. Can shoot any handgun, shotgun, muzzel loader and center fire rifle except 50 BMG. You can use your targets and they provide the stands and staple guns. Only restrictions ammo I believe is not tracer or ap. There is a training class you have to go through and pass a written test before you can use the range.
    The only problem I have with it is some of the people that work the range have personalities of an empty casing and monitor you like a hawk and makes sure you don't go over your time limit and you don't do this and don't do that.
    Others are nice and friendly. Can tell when someone has shooting experience and leaves them alone and if they are not busy and will let go over your time limit.

Like I say it's convenient and close but I have not been in over a year, preferring my outdoor range.

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Banned

I got booted off there a long time ago. There was a poster that made some jokes about retarded people and i kind of told him what i thought. The worse language i had used was to call the guy a jerk. the moderator came on and told me i could do that. I told him i was just calling a spade a spade and he booted me off for using a predudice statement. Kind of got a kick out of it. I refernce a playing card and the other guy bashes learning disabled children and i get booted off and he gets consoled and told that i was just being a jerk. NO PLACE FOR ME!! there a borish bunch of no nothing 19 year old wanabes. Experts on the art of self defense and self defense weapons but i never found a single one of them that had actually been in combat or were police officers that had fired a round on duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Sounds like a range run by the bunch at 1911.org. They have lots of rules that don't make sense either.

In Remembrance

An indoor range in our area required ammo to be bought from them at high prices, and you could not pick up brass. With our wide open spaces they didn't stay in business long. DALE

Boolit Master

I am glad that I don't have to put up with looking for a range, and then a bunch of horses tails that run and operate it. I have a couple of ranges that I have set up on my place. I have a 75 yrd range that I sit on my deck and shoot during bad weather. I also have a maximum distance of 200 yd range that I use on nice days.

I also have within a 5 mile drive a very nice public range that is operated by the Mo Dept of Conservation. They provide the paper targets, and a place to hang them. The range is set up with a skeet and trap shooting area, 100 yard rifle range with 12 shooting stations, 25 yd pistol range with 15 shooting stations, 50 yard rifle/pistol range with 15 shooting stations, and a 75 yard rifle/pistol range with 15 shooting stations. There is no limits on Cal or ammo, except no tracers because of the fire hazard. If you want to pick up brass have at it. The only things you need to bring are your firearms, ammo, and a staple gun or push pin tacks to hang your targets.

Best wishes,

CPT T.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Well almost all the indoor ranges around here have a "NO LEAD BOOLITS" policy and one of them charges you a fee to use your own ammo. I quit going to any indoor ranges b/c of this b.s. .. I think alot of this crap is just plain greed on the range owners part
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast