Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ruger Accessory

Boolit Master
    Firing dry is not adding anything inside. Firing wet is adding a little (3-5 cc/teaspoons worth) water usually, but I have seen guys use rubbing alcohol, or even that gel hand sanitizer, to help cool the gasses inside which apparently helps make it a bit quieter. I know it works, but don't understand and can't explain the physics behind it. Personally, I shoot mine dry, and have always wondered about the wisdom of adding alcohol, which is flammable, to the inside of a suppressor, where it will be exposed to high heat that will act as an ignition source, but it seems to work, so may have to try it some day.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    We NYS guys can only have LOUD guns. Sucks.

Ablative media - is added to "Wet" the suppressor
    - it's sacrificial additive to help cool the gases and combine with the oxygen
    that's in the suppressor to reduce hot gases which cause the noise.

On thing to remember is by adding something to the inside of
    the suppressor it's going to be effected by firing into it -
    so you NEVER want it to obscure the bore.

And you should always check the the maker to be sure
    the suppressor was designed with that in mind.

More basic info
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhf0JyvESTs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umzYPNYjEiY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFLu-RXn78
    Last edited by Artful; 01-20-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Firing dry is not adding anything inside. Firing wet is adding a little (3-5 cc/teaspoons worth) water usually, but I have seen guys use rubbing alcohol, or even that gel hand sanitizer, to help cool the gasses inside which apparently helps make it a bit quieter. I know it works, but don't understand and can't explain the physics behind it. Personally, I shoot mine dry, and have always wondered about the wisdom of adding alcohol, which is flammable, to the inside of a suppressor, where it will be exposed to high heat that will act as an ignition source, but it seems to work, so may have to try it some day.
    Absolutely do not use something flammable. Water works, so does wire pulling gel. Helps reduce the first-round pop (FRP) but can make things a bit messier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    Absolutely do not use something flammable. Water works, so does wire pulling gel. Helps reduce the first-round pop (FRP) but can make things a bit messier.
    Glad I was thinking right and am not completely off my rocker. Thanks!

The prices those selling for are crazy. Just go to silencershop.com and do even just a little research. You can get one just as good for less than half the price.

Boolit Master
    Ruger lists MSRP at $449, which isn't cheap, but in line with several manufacturers. I'm assuming there's people paying a lot more than that just cause they want to be the only kid on the block with the new toy.

Boolit Master
    Wonder what real world price is? Rugers msrp is alway crazy high! The specter ii is on sale right now for $341 and is the best on the market right now with the sparrow being a close second in my own personal opinion. Ruger design looks pretty close to the specter ii. I built my own suppressor on a form one and would put it up against any on the market except in the weight department, mines heavy as a brick.
    Last edited by Mica_Hiebert; 01-21-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems funny that cans are pretty much mainstream in so many countries but a reminder of the "bad old days" of gangsters in the "roaring 20's" around here. I'd like to see them become more mainstream here. Some need a little work, tho. Saw a vendor testing/demo-ing a shotgun silencer a few months back. After a box or two of shells it started smoking and was hurried off the line, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Indeed. The roaring 20s were almost 100 years ago. We need to move on dont you think?

And cans are most definitely NOT maintenance free! They require routine maintenance to continue to operate nominally and safely. Its not a big deal with most that you can breakdown into compnent pieces to clean. Just needs to done regularly - especially rimfire models. Which are BTW the only cans that come close to movie quiet. Its really cool the first time and you hear the "clack-clack" of a 10/22 bolt slapping open and closed over the muffled sound.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll never forget one Sig demo gun, a full auto 9mm fired from inside a briefcase with a silencer. All you could hear was brass rattling around in the briefcase. Only issue I have with silencers is that some folks lose respect for a suppressed firearm and that mistake has gotten people hurt.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12