Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed with Lee Customer Service and Quality Control

Very disappointed with Lee Customer Service and Quality Control

Check out the bottom of this sprue plate. I just received a new 2 cavity 358-158 mold yesterday from amazon. Cleaned it up and starting casting with it only to see the base of one of the buttets wasn't cutting and forming properly. Also noticed it was scratching the mold blocks a little and after a bit of inspection I could tell it needed to be smoothed.

Put it on a stone to smooth it out and then realized there was pitting around one of the holes.

See photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PittedSpruePlate_HDR.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	157358

That little pitting is just enough to cause the base of the bullet to not cut properly and to be a bit high.

Contacted lee as I always have and had to send them this photo. Here's there response:

For my knowledge, what what forced through the hole, to cause the metal to be displaced out the back side. I can see the factory sanding marks on it from the factory, so it happened
    after it left our facility.

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075
    I have several double cav molds and just borrowed one and cast about 500 perfect boolits. But, it would appear Lee is going to give me trouble and I may just have to return the mold to amazon. Just a little disappointed with them. Their QC on these molds is horrible.

Well, after responding that I had stoned it and explaining that it arrived this way they quickly reversed course.

I am sending out a replacement part in today's mail.

Sincerely,
    Raquel

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    Still disappointing that there had to be any push and shove on such a simple issue. I dunno, maybe they've had a bunch of people modifying and damaging their sprue plates recently and I got caught up in it. Doesn't look to me like anything was jammed through it though. clearly looks like a manufacturing defect.

Boolit Master
    That is a very poor response just in general sense regards to professionalism. Send it back to Amazon as I'm sure they will pay return shipping where as Lee will not it's on your dime even if it is their mistake.

Boolit Master
    Well that is better the second go around.

Trust me, I would have already boxed it up if it wasn't producing perfect boolits.

I have never had any trouble with Lee's customer service but I don't expect the best quality from them either.

Kind of like I don't expect a $2 pack of hotdogs to taste like a $20 steak.

Banned

Lee Customer Service has been excellent for me, and considering the price point of their products, it is crazy good service. I find it best to call them.

I agree with jmort--I've had only good experiences with Lee.

Me too, until now. Maybe it was just a slight misstep or just a bad apple in their cs department.

Boolit Buddy
    Lesson here. If you get a new product and you think something might be wrong with it, do not try to fix it yourself before calling the manufacturer!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Me too, until now. Maybe it was just a slight misstep or just a bad apple in their cs department.
    or they just finished a bad moment and you got the carryover.. it happens (shouldn't but we are human and it does)
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Every manufacturer produces lemons on occasion. QC does not catch 100% of problems some times. That is what cust svc is for. Just fix it and move on. They are sending you a new part for free, which is good.

I have many dozens of 2 and 6 cav Lee molds and have never had any problems with them right out of the boxes. If any slight scraping occurs, I address it with a ultra-fine file or a stone. I have had those same problems on NOE and MiHec brass (expensive) molds also.

Nothing to be upset with at Lee.

Fine-Tuning up ANYBODY"S mold is just part of what we do.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have never had any trouble with Lee's customer service but I don't expect the best quality from them either.

Kind of like I don't expect a $2 pack of hotdogs to taste like a $20 steak.
    This is my experience as well. The few issues I've had were handled quickly either w/ a phone call or their internet based claims service. I like the internet one the best. Write a short synopsis the problem, attach a few pictures and they get back to you quickly. The responses I received were all the same, a new one is on the way free of charge.

Boolit Buddy
    Started using Lee molds about 1971 and have been very satisfied with dozens over the years since. Never had a serious issue with Lee products and would not hesitate to order again anytime.

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently worked on a Lee mould that had a similar rough edge on the holes in the sprue plate. T bothered me a little but didn't seem to be an issue in casting.

The mould was a 30 dollar mould and the buyer got 30 dollar quality. If a buyer wants top quality then expect to pay top quality money. Want Mercedes quality? Don't buy a Yugo.

That plate on a mould from Accurate, NOE, or MP would not be acceptable.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised the first Email was such a response.
    Especially that you just bought it. LEE has a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. Along with a 2 year and limited lifetime warranty.
    I have received parts free with out hesitation. They even sent out some parts that where missing out of a NOS pro1000.

I bought my second (or maybe third) brand new Lee mold the other day after all my years casting. All my others have been second hand. I knew right away to disassemble, scrub with Dawn dish soap and deburr the cavities with a wood dowel. While at it, I automatically added the set screws to the spruce plate bolts and stoned the sprueplate. No lick of trouble and I figure all Lee molds need this attention. I figure that's how they make them for the cost they do. It was a new Lee 6 cavity 7mm soup can from mid south on sale for $30.

Now, I figure to do this anyways with Lee, but never ( and never had to....) with a Noe or
    mihec mold. I pay premium for those and good out of the box with cleaning and heat cycles.

Boolit Master
    Lee recently replaced a part from the Perfect Powder Measure for free and i got it used and have no idea how old it is. They never asked.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

For the price cleaning them is not that bad

Boolit Buddy
    Thought they had an unconditional guarantee for 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast