Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doubt I will see this with cast

Boolit Buddy

Doubt I will see this with cast

I love cast boolits and have a few rifles that see cast exclusively but still use J-words.
    This is one of the reasons why, not bad for a 24" barrel and no it isn't a 17, 20 or 22cal.

Boolit Master
    OK, Ill bite............what are you shooting there; I bet the throat is short lived with such velocities.

Boolit Grand Master

Ill take a guess.
    300winmag with 110-150 grain bullets?

Barrels are expendables. That rocks!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

6mm/284?
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

300 Weatherby magnum will do that with 110 grain bullets. I used to have one years ago. You wouldn't believe the muzzle flash from that combination. Blindingly bright even in bright daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post

I love cast boolits and have a few rifles that see cast exclusively but still use J-words.
    This is one of the reasons why, not bad for a 24" barrel and no it isn't a 17, 20 or 22cal.
    A 55 gr. .224" cast bullet in a sabot and fired in a 30-06 will do that and more....

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Light bullets in .243 will also get there.

Boolit Buddy
    240wby, they are available in the vanguard so cheap shooting, picked mine up new for less than the cost of a rebarrel here in Aus.
    Don't expect barrel life to be great so have kept testing to 3 shots, last 2 loads tested both clocked over 4000fps and accuracy actually improved as velocity increased. Last 2 loads went 0.61" & 0.52".
    For a budget sporter weight rifle Im happy, should make a heck of a walk about dual purpose rifle, 100gr are still scooting along at over 3200fps and shoot to almost exactly the same point of aim.

Hadn't thought about sabbots and cast, might make a very interesting project further down the track.

Boolit Master
    My Chrony acts up like that some times too.

Motor

PS: When you approach 4500 let us know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post

Motor

yeah does tend to read a bit slow
    Swift is almost due for a rebarrel, have been thinking a 28" improved chamber, 4500fps easy might even see 5000fps with the real light weights.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Can't speak for anyone else, but my experience with the 22 boolit in the .30 sabot resulted in very poor accuracy and melted white plastic strung from one end t'other. Blech.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    yeah does tend to read a bit slow
    Swift is almost due for a rebarrel, have been thinking a 28" improved chamber, 4500fps easy might even see 5000fps with the real light weights.
    We've seen close to 4500 with 40gr in 22-6mm Akley Improved. Definitely not barrel friendly. Only did it for kicks.

I'm pretty sure mid 4000's is the limit for smokeless powder. That is as fast "normal" gun powder can shoot a bullet and stay within pressure limits. That is why the military is working on magnetic guns and such.

Motor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but my experience with the 22 boolit in the .30 sabot resulted in very poor accuracy and melted white plastic strung from one end t'other. Blech.
    When I 3nfered the reloading life style, I had to have some sabots for an 06 very fast I envisioned long range coyote hunting, accuracy never got better than minute of paper plate and what a mess, a few years later when hill country rifle did some work on that rifle they asked what all the small bits of what looked like plastic were.

Motor

Mine too. I had three of those things before I got the Pact I have now. I'll never buy anything with the Chrony name on it again.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    I was joking about the Chrony. It's nice to see "220" got it.

The only real trouble I ever had with mine is when my brother shot it with a 50 caliber muzzleloader. I ended up with a new model. Of course my brother had to pay, half price I think.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    We've seen close to 4500 with 40gr in 22-6mm Akley Improved. Definitely not barrel friendly. Only did it for kicks.

I'm pretty sure mid 4000's is the limit for smokeless powder. That is as fast "normal" gun powder can shoot a bullet and stay within pressure limits. That is why the military is working on magnetic guns and such.

Motor
    One of the blokes on a aussie forum I also hang out at has a couple of improved swifts runs 40gr at around 4500, both are getting close to 1000rds and still shooting better than 1/2moa at 400.
    Have seen reports of 4700+ with improved swifts and 36grs, there was a kiwi that used to post on some of the aussie forums that had seen over 5000 with light pills in a 22/243 improved.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bite, 6mm-06 with 58 grainers?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I'll bite, 6mm-06 with 58 grainers?
    close 240wby & 55grs

Cant say the old crohny has given me any trouble over the years, must be about 20yrs old and apart from a fresh battery every year or so that is it. Only modification has been a piece of Perspex to give a little protection to the LCD readout from muzzle blast, lube etc. It has been blown over quite a few times by muzzle blast but hasn't taken a hit yet.
    It is one of the early ones and does nothing but display the shot velocity, next shot replaces the previous one on the readout, might be why it has been so trouble free. Have checked it against a few other brands and it is on the money.

Boolit Buddy

223 wssm?

Boolit Grand Master

close 240wby & 55grs

Cant say the old crohny has given me any trouble over the years, must be about 20yrs old and apart from a fresh battery every year or so that is it. Only modification has been a piece of Perspex to give a little protection to the LCD readout from muzzle blast, lube etc. It has been blown over quite a few times by muzzle blast but hasn't taken a hit yet.
    It is one of the early ones and does nothing but display the shot velocity, next shot replaces the previous one on the readout, might be why it has been so trouble free. Have checked it against a few other brands and it is on the money.
    There I go thinking wildcat when 240 Weatherby should have come to mind! You are definitely haulin' the mail!
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast