Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 266 grain keith .44 loads

Boolit Man

266 grain keith .44 loads

My RCBS 44-250 K mold drops straight wcww at 266 grains, has anyone a pet Unique, Blue Dot or 2400 load for a light 44 special or magnum and middle of the road 44 special or magnum rounds with C300 lp primers?

This is for a 5.5" super blackhawk.

I should mention that I accidentally posted this originally in another thread; I've since deleted that message, to start this one.
    Last edited by eli; 01-05-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

8.5 gr Unique is what I use with that bullet in my 6 1/2" Ruger 50th Anniversary BHFT. Runs right at 1000 fps with excellent accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

.44 Special cases: 7.5 Unique is a stout Special load with a long history, is a dandy "moderate" load when fired in a Magnum chamber, I've clocked this at 950 fps from a 4" barrel.
    .44 Magnum: Work up from 9.0 grs Unique to find your best accuracy. Alliant has 11.0 grs as the max load with a 250 grain. For me, 10.0 grains in a 4" barrel has been the most accurate, and is also all the fun I can stand.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 01-06-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: changed personal load data

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite light load is 14 to 15 grains of BlueDot. Should yield 1100 to 1200 fps. in that barrel length.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

That's my favorite. 44 hunting bullet. My mould drops it at around 260 gr. As others others have said, 7.5 of Unique will net around 950. I've also loaded it over 17.0 grs. of 2400 in my .44 Special which netted 1218 fps from a 5 1/2" barrel. It was quite accurate at 100 yds. too.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Somewhere between 15 and 18 grains of 2400 should get you wonderful accuracy. I only use Winchester Primers, so I can't help you there.
    For a light load you can do no better than the "Skeeter" load of 7.5 grains of Unique in 44 Special brass.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I used the Lyman 429421 with 10 grains of Unique and CCI std large primers for silhouettes in my 7.5" SBH. Very good load, always dropped the rams and didn't beat you too much over 40- 60 round course of fire. They also weighed about the same as your boolits do, cast of ww's air cooled.

Boolit Man

Red face

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I really like this bullet, but have yet to find the 'sweet spot' with my Ruger and, I do want to shoot more often with the .44 special and magnum, for distance and fun.

45acp runs fast, true and plenty in my Glock, but that big wheel gun just wears so much better in the woods.

Please, keep those load suggestions coming, I'm happy to read it all.

Additional info, Starline 44 Special brass, Remington and Winchester 44 Magnum brass.
    All loaded with a Lee Classic Loader on a Harbor Freight 1 ton arbor press, 'cept primers, which are done with a Lee hand primer tool.
    Last edited by eli; 01-06-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    eli--My favorite .44 mag load, with a boolit similar to yours, is the Lyman 429421HP with 8.6g of Green Dot, and Rem 2-1/2 or CCI 300 primer.OAL is 1.710. Velocity is 1023fps with SD of 6 out of a Smith 629-4 Mtn gun.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Man
    I just found a small cache of Federal primers, LP and Magnum Pistol, as well as Small Rifle, LR, etc.

Too many not to use, though I am happy with CCI offerings; has anyone here noticed a difference with these primers, both red and blue boxs?

Boolit Master
    9.0 grains of Unique for me. I've tried a lot of different powder in the 44M. Lots of them shoot well but 9.0 grains of Unique is the top of the list for me.

Boolit Master

i have same mold but drops right at 250 gr sized at .431 i can ring a 10" gong with 14.8 gr of blue dot in my RSBH at 100 yards
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    7.5 grains of Power Pistol seems to duplicate the Skeeter load in my S&W 624 with 4'' barrel.

Boolit Master
    7.5 unique with that boolit is a great load used it for years also try RCBS -225 GR. SWC mine has the gas check removed it shoots great with 5.5 gr. red dot.