Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Gun Safes

Boolit Buddy

Gun Safes

Didn't know where to put this, but here seemed good the best I could find.

Looking for a 16 - 20 long rifle gun safe. A couple of rifles are - long - with more than 50" total length. I want a real safe - none of that Stack-On stuff. Must have a good fire protection rating as it's going in the room with the Oil tank and we only have a volunteer FD so response times are not the best.

Narrowed it down to American Security NF 6032 or a Liberty Lincoln 25. But the Liberty is a $1000 more.

Anyone have any recommendations of the Liberty over the American?
    I can not know what I don't know.

I'm lookin too. Local Gun Shop has last years Browning model basic 18 gun for $569. I looked at the Champion site, which directed me to Scheels. Are their store brand made by Champion? I had to chuckle at your comment about VFDs. Heck if my house is on fire, they may not come at all! (I am the Chief) LOL!!! Flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Gun Safes

Do not buy based on fire rating. This is a fools errand. Especially w/ the safes you listed because their "fire protection" consists of drywall. Step up to AMSEC BF series if you want somewhat real fire protection. Better yet is the HS series but you will pay for the protection it gives you.

If you aren't aware there is no standard for the fire ratings. This leads to a lot of false claims. If you really want fire protection you have to pay for it.

Neither model you listed is a "real safe". They are residential security containers. They are better than a locker. But still not a safe.

Boolit Master

+1 on the above post. There are several threads here discussing "safes". For example:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...vs-Sturdy-safe

A good article on gun "safes"

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a Tractor Supply near you, might want to take a look. They have some nice safes at reasonable prices. If not, try them online.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    If you have a Tractor Supply near you, might want to take a look. They have some nice safes at reasonable prices. If not, try them online.
    They're not safes. Rsc at best, cabinet with a lock at worst.

There is a huge distinction between real safes and what's sold at most stores. Graffunder and the like are real safes, most of what you see at big box stores are rscs (residential security cabinets). Big difference in quality and price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjones View Post
    They're not safes. Rsc at best, cabinet with a lock at worst.

There is a huge distinction between real safes and what's sold at most stores. Graffunder and the like are real safes, most of what you see at big box stores are rscs (residential security cabinets). Big difference in quality and price.
    Emphasis on "big difference". I would like to be able to afford a real safe but will have to be satisfied with my "residential security container". Understand there are various levels of quality and security within that classification. I tend to think that when a national chain carries "safes", they're aiming for the lowest common denominator and probably don't even investigate the various aspects of what constitutes a quality "safe". I'm no expert and I could be off base.

Best plan is to do your own investigation. I posted this above but will post it again:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The best gun safe you own is the same one you sleep in. If you can fortify your doors and locks, keep your RSC in a place where there's not enough room to rock or tip it or swing at it with a sledge or lever a prybar, and keep it out of sight, you've secured it against most every form of theivery. If you don't do as my dad was wont to do and show the US guy, the postman, the HVAC repairman, and every other Tom, Dick, and Harry your neato expensive guns, and you refrain from being The Gun Guy in social settings and plastering your car and person with billboards advertising the high-blackmarket-value items you own, you've cut down on that risk as well.

IMO, and it's just an opinion and might stink, for those of us with smaller collections converting a closet to contain your RSC is as worthy an endeavor as a legitimate safe. Use a sturdier door with a key lock, add extra fire protection/insulation right to the walls, bolt the thing to the floor and to a couple studs, and most importantly KEEP QUIET ABOUT IT!!

That keeps the kids and nosey neighbors out, keeps it out of sight, adds fire protection, and if someone has enough time to remove the door and attack the floor they've got enough time to rent a furniture dolly and just take the whole safe, and the valuable items policy you carry either through your sins rance company or the NRA will help you rebuild that collection.

Boolit Buddy
    Am sec BF or HF are really nice and pretty fine protection. Compare the metal thickness in these and other safes. Fire testing is weird because UL has a standard external test conditions, but a lot of variation in what is considered a pass result. Paper being slightly charred might pass. No real test for weapons.
    ED C

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a larger size than you "think" you need. They fill up, and the larger size makes it easier to access contents w/o damaging or scratching that nice finish. Also, it is only the best piece that will get scratched!

deepwater