Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 or Win 70?

I have two Remington's from back when they're reputation was still good. One M70 Sporter in 30-06 from a couple years ago.

I lost my love for Remington's a few years back. Stuck a case. It had been fired in an old barrel and I just installed a new Shillen on this 243 M-700 V. Smacked up on the bolt handle and it broke off.
    They are supposed to be silver soldered on but all I could see was yellow plastic looking stuff. Either flux or they used glue.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

I've got scope mounts & brass on the way and will be ordering a mold after I make a pound slug for it.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I figure this will get a million looks...

Looking at a couple rifles here local and have this burning question:

1990's Era Remington or a Pre-Portugal FN Winchester? I figure either of these would be better than either Remington or Winchester new (and no, I am not going to look at a Tikka :P).

Going with 308 Win, will shoot cast and jacketed. It's going to be a 20-300yd hunting rifle, so tack driving accuracy isn't a must, but will be appreciated.

Thanks
    I would not overlook a new winny...sweet fit, finish and machine work.

5Shot, I have 6 Mdl 70s and 5 Mdl 700s, including 2 Pre-64s, and a S.Carolina Win. My favorites are the Winchesters. I have had 2 featherweights (still have 1) and they are simply beautiful rifles. Fit/Finish, accuracy is as good as anything I have. The Rems are nice, just more utilitarian, or plain, than the Winchesters, especially the Featherweights. Not that that is a bad thing, but the FW are gorgeous. I have shied away from the Portugal 70s. They look spectacular, it is just the idea of them moving them overseas that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a FW in 6.5X55 from the last yr. of the New Haven Manufacture...too nice to take to the woods, but I shoot it some (I am not rich enough to be a collector!)

Banned
    Ended up going with the M70. It was within $100 of the 700 and was NIB vs used. I'll know if I made the right decision in a week or so.
    Good deal!

Boolit Master
    Good luck on the Winchester. I have been hunting with one for 20 years and it is great. Featherweight, .30/06, post '64 but not real early. Beech stock stained to look like walnut, aluminum trigger guard. Accurate, holds it's zero, never done anything to it other than clean it. I have never had the action out of the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHill View Post
    5Shot, I have 6 Mdl 70s and 5 Mdl 700s, including 2 Pre-64s, and a S.Carolina Win. My favorites are the Winchesters. I have had 2 featherweights (still have 1) and they are simply beautiful rifles. Fit/Finish, accuracy is as good as anything I have. The Rems are nice, just more utilitarian, or plain, than the Winchesters, especially the Featherweights. Not that that is a bad thing, but the FW are gorgeous. I have shied away from the Portugal 70s. They look spectacular, it is just the idea of them moving them overseas that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a FW in 6.5X55 from the last yr. of the New Haven Manufacture...too nice to take to the woods, but I shoot it some (I am not rich enough to be a collector!)
    Where are you reading this propaganda? FN does not make these M-70's in Portugal.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Where are you reading this propaganda? FN does not make these M-70's in Portugal.
    Uhhh...yeah they do.

Last edited by 5Shot; 01-07-2016 at 01:40 AM.

I've had them in my hand. Made in Portugal stamped in the barrel

Mine says "Made in USA"...one of the last. Won't buy one with Portugal anywhere on it. Gotta have some principles!

IIRC, they moved the manufacture of the mdl 70 to Portugal @2013 or so. I have to agree with 5Shot, just the principle of the Model 70 Winchester being made overseas is gut wrenching...What is more American than Baseball, Apple Pie and Winchester! I suppose it will be like anything else, eventually people will forget about it. They are absolutely beautiful firearms...what a shame.

Boolit Master
    I got to shoot an FN model 70 in .243 a couple of years ago. It may well have been the most accurate out-of-the-box bolt rifle I've ever fired in a light sporter configuration. I shot several groups at 100 yards and they all ran very close to 1/2" with factory ammo. It was an outstanding rifle in every way and I wished it was mine. I got to shoot a brand new .300 Win Mag model 70 about the same time and it was similarly accurate, again with factory ammo.

I love my 700 Remingtons but I doubt you made a mistake with that FN. I hope you like it.

Uncle R.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHill View Post
    IIRC, they moved the manufacture of the mdl 70 to Portugal @2013 or so. I have to agree with 5Shot, just the principle of the Model 70 Winchester being made overseas is gut wrenching...What is more American than Baseball, Apple Pie and Winchester! I suppose it will be like anything else, eventually people will forget about it. They are absolutely beautiful firearms...what a shame.
    I agree! I try to avoid buying foreign manufactured items, not always possible.

FWIW -- I bought a Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 308 Win (2014 Dick's Doorbuster) This finish was much better than I expected it to be and is actually fairly comparable to my 1990 - 1994 circa Remington custom shop rifles & XP100's. Some of the new matte finishes have the appearance of a sprayed on finish. The finish on the 700 V looks like a blued bead blasted finish. Now the newer 11-87's finish is pretty ugly and rough especially the top surface of the vent rib. Anyway I just got around to shooting the 700 V for the first time a few weeks ago. With the cheap 4 -12 x scope and rings that it came with I was holding 2.5" groups at 225 yds with vintage Hornady (Frontier) 190 gr BTHP match ammo. Also shot some factory 165 gr SP Light Magnum ammo with similar results. I was fairly impressed, maybe since I had lower expectations and I paid right at $414 including tax.

I own both Rem 700's and Win M 70's post and pre 64. I like the Win safety but the Rem is easier to release quietly in a hunting situation. In my opinion I feel the Rem 700 is more like a small block Chevy of rifle with several choices of parts and aftermarket options as compared to the others.

Uhhh...yeah they do.

Well that's just plum depressing.
    Glad I got one still made in USA.

Well that's just plum depressing.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post

FWIW -- I bought a Rem 700 ADL Varmint in 308 Win (2014 Dick's Doorbuster) This finish was much better than I expected it to be and is actually fairly comparable to my 1990 - 1994 circa Remington custom shop rifles & XP100's. Some of the new matte finishes have the appearance of a sprayed on finish. The finish on the 700 V looks like a blued bead blasted finish. Now the newer 11-87's finish is pretty ugly and rough especially the top surface of the vent rib. Anyway I just got around to shooting the 700 V for the first time a few weeks ago. With the cheap 4 -12 x scope and rings that it came with I was holding 2.5" groups at 225 yds with vintage Hornady (Frontier) 190 gr BTHP match ammo. Also shot some factory 165 gr SP Light Magnum ammo with similar results. I was fairly impressed, maybe since I had lower expectations and I paid right at $414 including tax.

I own both Rem 700's and Win M 70's post and pre 64. I like the Win safety but the Rem is easier to release quietly in a hunting situation. In my opinion I feel the Rem 700 is more like a small block Chevy of rifle with several choices of parts and aftermarket options as compared to the others.
    New machining process' have made it cheaper to build a better shooting, or as good as, rifle that cost significantly more in the past. A perfect example are then newer Ruger Americans and Savage Axis, for <$400 you get MOA out of the box, or better with some handloading. Compare that to 15yrs or so ago it would cost $600+ for a rifle to shoot like that, and maybe it wouldn't shoot that good. Nowadays with CNC machining other advancements in manufacturing it is commonplace for MOA accuracy in a entry level rifle. Where they save money is fit and finish, some of the stocks are very cheap and the finish is also less than...pretty!

Boolit Master

Sad that our manufacturing capability and capacity is on the wane. Some of the best Winchesters and Brownings made came from Japan over the last 30 years or so and I'll wager that the Portuguese rifles will be just as good. I'll just hang onto my Pre-64s and call it good I guess.

When I was on a Federal agency, one of my cohorts was from New England. He used to say that if you ever saw the riffraff that got off of the bus at the Colt factory, you'd never buy another Colt. I used to laugh at that, but then look at the issues that Colt has had the last few decades. Management and unions have about run 'em into the ground.

My Pre-64s from the vault. These rifles were the ultimate in drop forged technology and a good work ethic in the factory which produced properly fitted up rifles with assured accuracy. Period scopes or period aperture sights on them enhance the fun factor.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-08-2016 at 01:37 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Sad that our manufacturing capability and capacity is on the wane. Some of the best Winchesters and Brownings made came from Japan over the last 30 years or so and I'll wager that the Portuguese rifles will be just as good. I'll just hang onto my Pre-64s and call it good I guess.

When I was on a Federal agency, one of my cohorts was from New England. He used to say that if you ever saw the riffraff that got off of the bus at the Colt factory, you'd never buy another Colt. I used to laugh at that, but then look at the issues that Colt has had the last few decades. Management and unions have about run 'em into the ground.

My Pre-64s from the vault. These rifles were the ultimate in drop forged technology and a good work ethic in the factory which produced properly fitted up rifles with assured accuracy. Period scopes or period aperture sights on them enhance the fun factor.
    It has nothing to do with our manufacturing capabilities. We invented about all of it.

Has everything to do with the GD Communist trying to ruin this nation.

I had a business about up to speed here in Illinois. Then the state decided to up taxes. Including ordering me to collect sales tax from out of state mail order customers. That shut me down right there. We put that SOB Governor in prison But so what. I seriously get sick and tired of people who can't do 2nd grade math. Then Vote for Communist.

Boolit Master

Deleted.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Deleted.
    - Gone
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast