Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remington 700 or Win 70?

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Just like most Mauser type CRF actions, they like to be cycled with authority. While not obvious in real time….it's common for the round to skitter along half out of the mag and between the rails as it slides into the chamber and still not be fully engaged by the extractor. Matter of fact if studied in detail, almost every one I've seen cycles a little differently…. IMO the variations are normal and different reasons for the variations. There is always some difference as to when the round pops out of the mag and into the full engagement of the extractor. Also common for there to be a difference in that "timing" between last round in mag subjected to minimal follower spring pressure and that of a full mag of 2-3 rounds pushing up with full spring pressure.

As to the question of popping over the rim like a push feed extractor? Some CRFs do and some don't. Most all such extractor faces can be modified to pop over but there's little need for it, IMO. For single round firing, as has been posted, it's best to place fully in mag then cycle the single round into the chamber. Even with a modified CRF extractor that will pop over, there is a chance it could be introducing some headspace into the cartridge if that pop over is a bit stiff. Also, if the strength of the extractor is compromised during the modification and happens to break during cycling then the advantage of reliability is out the window.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-21-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Ready for the range. Mounted a spare Leupold 1-4 in Talley Detachables, but will probably replace with a 1.5x5 VX3 or a 1-4 with a Firedot. Brass showed up yesterday, so it is time to start loading and see what this thing will do...

If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

That's a nice looking rifle - I hope it shoots as good as it looks
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Wow! Nice piece of hardware 5Shot.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

You have a beauty. I have gone thru same comparisons and concluded that I will buy a controlled feed M70 type rifle in 308. Have not decided which yet .... Winchester, Kimber, Montana, etc. IMO the Montana seems to be the most evolved.
    Last edited by Sam Casey; 01-25-2016 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    You know I read the first couple posts just now and was thinking about what to say because I've had a few Remington 700s a model 7 and a couple of push feed Winchesters. All were good rifles. Then around 1995 I won a Winchester Classic Sporter. Right out of the box this was the slickest smoothest bind free bolt I have ever worked.

The rifle was a .338 Win mag with BOSS and shot great. Then like like an idiot I traded it in after using it for a few years.

OP: That is a NICE rifle. I think you will enjoy it immensely.

Motor

Boolit Master
    The M1999 Montana action is very good. The ads are correct- it's kind of a hybrid between a Mauser 98 and a Win 70. Whether its design has great advantage over a Win 70 CRF… who knows? One thing Montana did which I like is retain the old type Winchester trigger. Also, it's slightly easier to chamber ream and set headspace for the Montana than for the Win 70 CRF because of the breeching.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

I like the extra heft of M1999 as well. My days of climbing the "foothills" in Wyoming & SD with a pre-64 FWT are past and any new M70 will be used on paper & critters.

I looked at getting a Montana Rifle, but the only local dealer said they sent everything back due to issues. That and the additional $$$ made me pick the Winchester.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

When thinking new Winchester, I had narrowed consideration to M70 Extreme Weather in 308 with thought I would give MOA trigger a try and switch to Timney if I liked the rifle & not trigger.