Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: MiHec RCBS 45-270 SAA- Field Results

MiHec RCBS 45-270 SAA- Field Results

Some of you may have seen this on the cast bullet group on Facebook, but for those of you who haven't...

I tried all last season to get a shot at a deer with this bullet, but to no avail. This year was much better. The bullet was cast using the large HP pin, 70/30 lead/WW and weighs around 265 grs. The revolver was my Uberti Bisley in 5 1/2" 45 Colt. Load was 16.5 grs. of AL2400 which netted a velocity of 1040-1050 fps. The javelin was about 45 yds. out and I shot him through the lungs. No expansion, it appeared. The buck was 48 yds. out and I hit him high in the shoulder. The bullet came to rest under the skin on the offside and expansion was picture perfect.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of Mihecs molds for this bullet. It is my "serious" bullet for the .45 Colts I have. That looks like "Picture Perfect" performance.

Dale53

Thanks for sharing this.
    I have the same mold.
    i haven't cast any large pin HPs but think I will now.
    Well done, my hand gunning brother.
    The last javelina I shot was in Tilden, about 1988 or so.
    4" Model 29-2 with Winchester Silvertips.
    That was a fun hunt.

Vendor Sponsor

I have some molds on hands - in solid or HP configuration.
    If you want one, send me PM
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master

I shoot that same boolit in my Encore with 454 barrel with 27.5 gr of H110 it's outstanding at 100 yards
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Mold
    Waiting in anticipation for mine.....!
    Will post results of field tests on African plains game hopefully soon.
    A fool with a tool, is still a fool!
    Its the Injun, not the arrow!

This is my first ever HP mold,,, I finally got to run a test batch thru the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt,,,, only 25 yards, and just 2 shots with each HP design Cup, 5 sided, small pin, and large pin, after the 2 shots with each bullet I shot 2 more of the large pin HP, so there is a total of ten shots in the target. My next trip will be 6 shot groups @ 50 yards. But now I have a starting point,,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9464.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	161542

I used a very soft alloy and have never had such good results with perfectly filled out bullets and all weighing within .5 of a grain of each other in each HP style. But with these bullets shooting this good I hope I can find a load that will shoot as good with WW-231 using the same alloy, and get it down around 1000 fps. I would be happy with this if the terminal performance on whitetails would match 35 Whelen's results,,,,, but I am happy with my first attempt with this mold!!

Those of you with experience casting your own HP's will this boolit work at 1200 fps?? or am I going to have to slow it down? Thanks for any advice.

I cut my casting teeth with this mold. A great shooting boolit in my marlin and a fine mold from MiHec.

Boolit Buddy
    First brass mold I've had and the first HP mold. First the mold.

I first began like I usually do with the aluminum or steel molds. My bullets were dropping like magic with just the motion of opening the mold. The problem was that I had more wrinkles than Nancy Pelosi and Janet Reno combined! I added some tin thinking that would help with fill out, maybe reduce wrinkling. Nope. Then I researched wrinkling on this site. Increased the heat of the melt to about 775-780 and got the mold hotter. WOW! awesome boolits and they dropped out of the mold perfectly. At the range.

Went to the range with a dozen of each style loaded on top of 7.5 gr of Herco. I was using my El Patron Uberti. Really windy today so I chose to shoot off of the bench, bagged in at 10 yds. I realize this isn't a good indicator of how it will shoot at longer distances, but at 10 yds, they all shot to the same point of aim and there was a hole where 24 rounds had gone thru a Redfield sight in target and made one hole just ever so slightly larger than one of the one inch squares. Perhaps tomorrow I can stretch it out some and see what it will do. I really like that big 'ol HP. Looks like looking into the end of a hollow log!

My experience with this mold sure makes me want the 200HP /230 Solid, reversible pin mold for my ACP! If that GB starts again I'm in!
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    First brass mold I've had and the first HP mold. First the mold.

I first began like I usually do with the aluminum or steel molds. My bullets were dropping like magic with just the motion of opening the mold. The problem was that I had more wrinkles than Nancy Pelosi and Janet Reno combined! I added some tin thinking that would help with fill out, maybe reduce wrinkling. Nope. Then I researched wrinkling on this site. Increased the heat of the melt to about 775-780 and got the mold hotter. WOW! awesome boolits and they dropped out of the mold perfectly. At the range.

Went to the range with a dozen of each style loaded on top of 7.5 gr of Herco. I was using my El Patron Uberti. Really windy today so I chose to shoot off of the bench, bagged in at 10 yds. I realize this isn't a good indicator of how it will shoot at longer distances, but at 10 yds, they all shot to the same point of aim and there was a hole where 24 rounds had gone thru a Redfield sight in target and made one hole just ever so slightly larger than one of the one inch squares. Perhaps tomorrow I can stretch it out some and see what it will do. I really like that big 'ol HP. Looks like looking into the end of a hollow log!

My experience with this mold sure makes me want the 200HP /230 Solid, reversible pin mold for my ACP! If that GB starts again I'm in!

I still have some 2cav 452-374 HP molds
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Buddy
    Is the 452-374 the mold I referenced? If so, advise me on how to order.
    Last edited by jgh4445; 03-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes. 230solid/200HP was copy of lyman 452-374.
    Send me your email address over PM (personal message) and I will send you PayPal request
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent.

Banned

you sure hit on the right alloy. that's a picture perfect expanded bullets

Boolit Mold
    As promised in post #6 above, here is mine.
    Got a good sized warthog boar at 35yds, angling in under the chin, exited behind opposite shoulder.
    Pig dropped like a bag of potatoes, made good salami and drywors (dried sausage)

Name:	Warthog 45_270-SAA-MH.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	179969
    A fool with a tool, is still a fool!
    Its the Injun, not the arrow!

Vendor Sponsor

www.mp-molds.com

New load fer the Large HP from this mold. I waent to the range with my Stainless Thumnhole Omega the other day. Took this boolit cast with 18 pounds pure lead, using Towmotor counter weights, and 2 pounds wheel weights with one pound 50/50 bar solder. SOOOFFFTT boolits. Used a Harvester Black Crush Rib Sabot and tried 70, the 80 and finally 90 grains Blackhorn209.

Two shots each @ 50 yards, but liked the 90 grain load, so shot a third. Not bad for a first outing and new load. So I moved to 100 yards. The first four shots were in 5/8" and when I fired the 5th shot I told my buddy I screwed up and wasn't ready when I fired. After I looked back thru the scope I seen the hole high and left in the group. So I went to use the bathroom and came back and told him I hated to ruin a five shot group but new the last shot was me. So I went ahead and fired one more shot, it's the double shot in the the lower left hole.

Name:	Omega with 275 cast HP.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	183975

This load should be around 1750 in the Omega M/L and never changed the scope setting. I am zeroed with 110 grains Blackhorn209 with a 300 grain PT Gold in a Red Crush Rib sabot after finding this load last year and adjusting for my 1.5" high and centered for windage at 100 yards when I started this load test with the cast HP today.

Name:	Photo-0490.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	183977

The slight left group with the new HP load is wind, as I had a left to right 10mph wind condition so both loads are the same POI at 100 yards within 1/4" anyways. But this is a great load and will be testing it on our deer season come the 7th to the 10th. I'll let all know how it does if I am fortunate enough to get a shot????