Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Coating swaged boolits?

Coating swaged boolits?

Anyone ever try coating swaged (dead soft) Boolits? Can't find any reference to it. How did they shoot?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have coated some pure lead bullets in 30 cal 220 grain. These are for my 300 BO as I have posted I am having problems with bullet to chamber fit since they are so soft I deform the bullet during seating. The ones I was able to load and function in my gun shot good without leading they were fired at sub sonic speeds. Did not get enough fired to give a true report. So if your speed is down you should be fine.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Swaged.......cast........should not make any difference. You are just coating lead. PC will stick to most anything as long as baked at proper 400F and min 10 min.

I don't swage anything but coat Pb/steel/CI/aluminum.....just about anything I need tough coated.

banger

Thanks.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

I am using very soft bullets with powder coating and Spray enamel paint both baked on . Most of them go though the 45 acp but i am also loading the Lee 309170 bullet which casts at 182 grains form soft lead and loading it to 2040 f/s. This bullet in my 1953 Marlin 336 30-30 is shooting under 2 inches @ 100 yards and preforms like a jacketed bullet in water, dry paper, and sand. I have not shot any deer with it yet but it really works well on coons and quill pigs.
    . I have dies for swaging half jacket bullets i coat my cast bullets in both 38 & 45 calibers then swage them if properly cured a 28 bullet bumps up to 45 quite well and shoot well also . I cut a part on the lathe to make Deep hollow base 45 bullets when i swage a 150 gr 38 bullet it makes a great .452 light recoil load.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Hi tek has trouble sticking to the swaged bullet, from the lube used to swage the bullet so they tell me.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    Hi tek has trouble sticking to the swaged bullet, from the lube used to swage the bullet so they tell me.
    To me, that would indicate that the bullets need to be degreased.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Correct you are, but it seems to be near impossible to remove all the swage lube, making them difficult to Hi tek or similar

Boolit Buddy
    scattershot, I am PC ing some really soft rifle bullets in 30 cal and 6mm They are soft enough that the normal seating punch damages the tip so much I had to make one that was an almost perfect match to the bullet so I could seat the bullets without destroying them. (new punch lapped to fit bullet). Had to add a little copper to make them stay together when they exited the barrel due to centrifugal forces. (they turned to dust or smoke) but copper resolved that problem. When shot through cronograph velocities were 150 to 350 fps faster than manuals indicated for same load with jacketed bullet. Accuracy was on par or better than normal hunting bullets not as good as match but very close in some cases. Well worth the effort. a good learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    To me, that would indicate that the bullets need to be degreased.
    I dry tumbled them, then sprayed with brake cleaner, then they coated nicely! Passed the smash test easily!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    I dry tumbled them, then sprayed with brake cleaner, then they coated nicely! Passed the smash test easily!
    Hitec or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    hitec or pc?
    hitek