RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: too much flash around base

Boolit Master

too much flash around base

Hello all, i am casting some lee .452-230 tl boolits from a 6 cav mold. I seem to be getting a fair amount of flash on the base . I made sure their was no lead spatter or smears on sprue plate or mold top. I also adjusted the pour spout to throw a smaller stream and that seemed to help somewhat. When i turn down the flow the nozzle tends to freeze up. Any tips or thoughts? This boolit shoots great out my glock and id like it to work a bit better. I really rather not have to cull so many otherwise good boolits. The flash isnt real bad and i usually use my thumbnail to knock off most except the worst ones. Any tips would be appreciated. Thx

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If (#1) sprue plate is sitting flat on blocks and you can't see light under it..... are you (#2) casting by holding all three handles? If you hold the sprue plate handle while you cast, it'll cam the sprue plate up from the blocks.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

what beagle said. I've had some flimsy sprue plates that were warped and the center holes left some flash, trued up the plate and they work ok. the heavier the sprue plate the better, might have to change it out.

Boolit Master
    I looked at that guys and i really dont see any light but the plate does seem to be humped up in the middle ever so slightly. I guess i could take off the plate and wrap a piece of fine paper around a steel plate i have and true it up as best as possible. I borrowed this mold and dont want to tke it back in poor shape. Im trying to make up a big batch before i take it back also. I already have over 800 cast and coated . Might as well make it an even thousand, lol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If the flash is that thin, just run them thru the sizing die B4 your coat them. I have always have any flash come off in the die with not problems.

If you leave it on and coat and then size, you may end up with a bunch of boolits with bare lead around the base. Not what I would want.

That is the problem with borrowing casting equipment......you can't really fix it! Because it is NOT yours.

banger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    If the flash is that thin, just run them thru the sizing die B4 your coat them. I have always have any flash come off in the die with not problems.

If you leave it on and coat and then size, you may end up with a bunch of boolits with bare lead around the base. Not what I would want.

That is the problem with borrowing casting equipment......you can't really fix it! Because it is NOT yours.

banger
    I've also seen that flashing get swaged into the bullet base when sizing them so I stopped that. Of course I fixed the mold from doing that too!

Boolit Master
    Well, i will true up the sprue plate and give it a try. Thx all

Boolit Grand Master

Check both the sprue plate and blocks tops to be sure they are flat and square. If you have a truly flat surface ( surface plate, pane of glass, something ground) put a light coat of grease or spotting agent on it and rup both parts across it and see what you have. also check for burrs and or dings that may be holding it up. Also check sprue plates tension to the blocks as a worn out spring washer or light tension may allow it to lift easier than it should.

Boolit Master

Lee 6 Cavity sprue plates are very bad to warp. I bet yours is warped.

Paint the bottom of it with a black marker then open and close it several tomes and see where the black is NOT wiped off.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Well guys, i found a piece of glass and took some #400 wet and dry paper and oil and faced off the sprue plate and the top surface of the mold. The plate sits flat now and the sprue plate glides like its greased. This time the sprus should cut evenly. Thx all for the advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Your friend will appreciate your efforts. When I borrow a tool I try to send it back in as good or better shape than I received it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!