Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patch cutter dia. for different cal. muzzleloaders?

Boolit Buddy
    To determine the diameter of patch I need I just load a ball using the strip & cut method & then pull (or shoot) & measure the patch. I then use an arch punch of the appropriate size to cut a supply of patches. I have found that by doing it this way I end up with patches slightly smaller in diameter than the generic pre-cut ones available commercially.
    "For a man, be he ever so much resolved to do his duty as a parent, can't be flogging his children all day....."

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).

Boolit Mold
    Dont mean to revive an old thread but a quick question on patch size. I have a .50 cal Pedersoli Alamo I recently purchased and have been cutting patches trying to find an easier method to cut them. I have arthritis and bursitis in my shoulders and anything that can make patch cutting quicker and easier would be a relief. I have tried multiple circle cutters with varying degrees of success , the only one that has been moderately successful has been a circle cutter that looks like a compass and you spin it around, its slow and kills your fingers after a couple of dozen. I have recently seen something at a local Spotlight store (womens craft store) made by fiskers and it looks very simple to use and looks to be kinder on my joints, the only issue is the smallest size it cuts is 2". Would 2" be too big for a shooting patch for the .50 Cal ?

Thankyou from Australia

Banned

precut muzzleloader patches don't need to be round, square works just as well.

OR, cut off at the muzzle, or use a ball board, and they'll always be perfectly sized.

the thing about patches for balls is their thickness and material composition, not their outer diameter shape.

Boolit Buddy
    One thing I've done for my 40 cal is to cut them with scissors. Simply square them up then nip the corners off. Works well for my rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a ball block when hunting. Ball and patch strip cut at the block. It’s just like trimming at the muzzle but with 10 patched and ready to go. If it’s range time, I cut the strip after starting the ball. Saving time at the range is of little importance to me as it’s for my relaxation. Precut or from a strip, it’s all personal preference. Have fun and shoot safely.

Boolit Grand Master

The patches don't stretch that much during firing. I only cut at the muzzle. My patches come out right at 1 1/4" diameter for my 54 calibers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The patches don't stretch that much during firing. I only cut at the muzzle. My patches come out right at 1 1/4" diameter for my 54 calibers.
    I reckon you want to give it a bit more for precut patches - we dont always get everything dead square loading
    54=inch and a half
    50=inch and a quarter
    45 = a fat inch

can make a quite effective cutter out of a six inch piece of steel water pipe - grind the one end sharp (about a 45degree edge no more) iron your patch material flat - it cuts better - fold and iron the piece of cloth until you have at least eight thicknesses (maybe double again to 16) cut on a big hardwood block and swing a big hammer - a few hundred patches only takes a couple minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

I just drilled a board for a ball carrier - 40 caliber. I drilled 29/64 because this holds the patched ball securely but not tightly. Patch is pillow ticking. 7/16" hole would squeeze the lube out of the patch.

So, where would I find a 6" piece of 1" steel water pipe? Easily accessed at Loew's or Home Depot?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I just drilled a board for a ball carrier - 40 caliber. I drilled 29/64 because this holds the patched ball securely but not tightly. Patch is pillow ticking. 7/16" hole would squeeze the lube out of the patch.

So, where would I find a 6" piece of 1" steel water pipe? Easily accessed at Loew's or Home Depot?
    Pretty much any hardwares store that carries plumbing supplies should have them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12