Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch cutter dia. for different cal. muzzleloaders?

Boolit Buddy

Patch cutter dia. for different cal. muzzleloaders?

Anybody know the diameter of patches or patch cutters for patched round ball rifles? I've only got two cal. present, a .40 and a .54 with a .45 I'm working on. I've had good results with pillow ticking, but I'd like to turn a cutter to make precut patches.

Any ideas? I've thought about just getting the fired patches and measuring them, but patch material stretches and gets frayed on the edges after firing.

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus
    I use this cutter, it goes up from one inch in 1/16" increments.

http://www.pinetreestrading.co.uk/ek...les-6024-p.asp

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I use this cutter, it goes up from one inch in 1/16" increments.

http://www.pinetreestrading.co.uk/ek...les-6024-p.asp
    How well does it work? It looks to be a neat tool and Amazon carries it too.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    The other day I happened to measure some T/C patches which, according to the packaging, were suitable for a .45 & .50 caliber. They measured 1 1/8" in diameter. I've been using some General Tool arch punches, without complaint. The 7/8" punch for the .45, not sure what size I used for the .32
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

I use 1 1/2" diameter cotton linen for my custom 54 cal. I ground the teeth off a hole saw and re-sharpened the edge to near razor sharp. I cut 3 layers at a time on my drill press and a piece of poplar board. Makes a lot of patches fast.

I do the same as Bosterr. Hole saws are cheap, and once ground can zip through a stack of cloth as thick as the saw is deep. Just back it with some wood and keep your finger out of the way!

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    How well does it work? It looks to be a neat tool and Amazon carries it too.
    Works very well for me, and cost me a lot less than a drill press.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

Square patches shoot just as well as the round ones. Just use scissors.
    Aim small, miss small!

IME, patch diameter makes little difference, regardless of bore size - as long as the patch (visible at the muzzle while loading) is large enough to cover the ball a little forward of it's contact area with the bore, yet small enough that it's doesn't greatly overlap the ball enough to obstruct the ball during firing.

OTOH, patch thickness ( in relation to the difference between the whatever size ball's O.D. & the bore I.D.) can/will make a big difference in both ease-of-loading & accuracy.

Boolit Master
    No strip and knife fans here?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, good info. I'll have to check the circle cutter out, never seen it before. I've been cutting from a strip at the muzzle with a knife, but witch cold weather coming it's a fiddly step I can eliminate. I did cut some square patches with the corners nipped off for the .40 cal, just need to do something like that for the 54.

I've been looking at the punches Dixie gun works sells, and there nice, but expensive and I've got a lathe.

I'll experiment with scissor cut square patches, if I like the results I probably won't bother making a punch. I like the idea of modifying a cheap hole saw though, that's a good idea.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sure is easier to rip strips, and then cut several layers at a time with scissors while sitting watching tv.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    You've got a point there, just wasn't sure how square would work compared to round.

Moderator Emeritus
    Squares are indeed easier to cut but I find circles easier to centre on the muzzle, just a personal thing.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Rule of thumb I heard was a good patch diameter = bullet circumference so a 50 cal uses about a 1 1/2" diameter patch.

Banned

patch strips are best, at least for me. cut off at the muzzle for a perfectly concentric patch every time. ditto for a board speed loader. patch strips are 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" wide dependant on the rifle/musket bore, and 12 to 18 inches long, dry lubed in a 1:6 ballistol:water mix. no muss, no fuss. easy peasy. accurate. ymmv.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked on Dixie's website and there listing a 1 1/4" punch for 54 cal. Not sure how it'll work. Next time I have some time and the lathe free I will have to turn one out and see how it goes. For now I'm thinking I'll make up some octagonal patches, just squares with the corners nipped off and see how they do.

Moderator Emeritus
    Strips cut at the muzzle do give good patches however it is another step in the loading process so my personal preference is for pre cut patches, less to do in the field is good to me.

Pukka Bundhooks

I just do 'em both ways. Some rifles get pre cut patches and others get strips. For some reason which to use seems obvious when I am out on the range playing with them.

-Nobade

Boolit Mold
    I use precut to speed up reloading to get another shot as that whitetail bounds away from me,. At the range I use strips and a sharp knife only because I am too lazy to spend a lot of time cutting patches (getting older, time is important).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast