Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alternate for 2400 in 44 mag

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.

alternate for 2400 in 44 mag

Will we ever see 2400 again ? I have done a lot of web searching for an alternate and nothing seems to be a perfect match. Not looking for wrist breaking 110 loads but a bit more than Unique/Universal. I have a SBH and 240-250 gr RNFP and SWC. Thanks

Boolit Master

I was in a bass pro shops the other day and they had Longshot in stock, which in theory ought to be a good choice for loads just under what you can do with 2400, and they had 800-x, and they even had a good bit of 2400, if you didn't mind paying BPS prices for it.

Moderator Emeritus

I was running low on 2400, and low and behold, late this fall, the LGS got in a 8 lber. So be patient, it'll show up.

With that said, I really like HS6 for middle of the road loads with the Saeco 441 (250 SWC).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onegunred View Post
    Will we ever see 2400 again ? I have done a lot of web searching for an alternate and nothing seems to be a perfect match. Not looking for wrist breaking 110 loads but a bit more than Unique/Universal. I have a SBH and 240-250 gr RNFP and SWC. Thanks
    I just received a couple shipments with 2400, Unique, Bullseye + some others. Check Weidners, Natchez, Midway. Don't remember where but I have got powder from all 3 in the last few months.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use Titegroup, Clays, ETR7 and others. And yes, for full house loads, H110.

Data is out there. Check the books.

Banger

Boolit Master

You might try Blue Dot powder for something near 2400 without bumping up to H110 or 296. I know that there's been some criticism of it lately, but I've never had an issue with it in the 41 Magnum. Of course my loads are below max, apparently what you are looking for too.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Agree with the Blue Dot. Most accurate rounds I've ever had for 45 colt was 13gr. BD. Herco may be another good powder (I've used it for 44mag and others) falls between Unique and BD in burn rate. Anything Unique works for, Herco will also, just a bit better. Personally I'm kinda glad everyone likes Unique so well for it's application, keeps the price of Herco down and I much prefer it.

Boolit Bub
    A little "drinking town with a fishing problem" somewhere in Northeastern Galveston County, Texas
    FWIW - I have an old burn rate spreadsheet that sorted various powders from 1 (fastest) to 75 (slowest). Alliant 2400 came in as #25 with Accurate #9 just a tad faster at #24. Winchester 630 and Norma 123, both discontinued from what I understand, also occupied the #24 slot. A little slower burning powders were Hodgdon "Lil-Gun" (#26) and H-110 (#27) on the list. After 2 years of looking for 2400 (thank you Obamanator) I found 1 pound of 2400 at a local gun show. Paid almost $50 for that can just so I could try to duplicate Elmer Keith's loads for my 44 Mag. I think it was P.T. Barnum who sold it to me. While waiting on the 2400, I have been using HP-38 and also Winchester 231 for my 250 gr 44 caliber "Keiths" - not exactly 2400 equivalents, but they work.
    Last edited by Ken77539; 01-02-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    After every act of terror we are told we should not judge all Muslims based on the actions of a few.

Isn't it time the 80 million LAW-ABIDING gun owners in America be given the same consideration? ?

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    Thanks guys for all the info. My local WalMart has powder on occasion but I have to go up to Albucrazy for anything serious. Sportsmans WH, and Petersons gun shop. On occasion you can find powder at a few other places. AA4100/Enforcer seems to have an appeal to me but I need to check it out a bit more. I don't shoot very many rounds above 8.5 to 9.0 gr of Universal but I have done some in the 9.9 gr range with a 240+ gr boolit and primers seem to be flattened and extraction was a bit sticky. 2400 or something like it is my desired powder for that heavy load that I may want.

Boolit Master

I too have seen lots of loads listed with #9. I was able to buy an 8# of 2400 just a couple of months ago so it is showing up albeit sporadically.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine substitutes 2400 with AA#9 a lot in 44mag
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

There were several tables with 2400 at the gun show in ABQ a few weeks ago. Sportsman's Warehouse didn't have any. I bought some Alliant Power Pro 300-MP, is marketed for magnum handgun use, but have not tried any yet. Blue Dot has worked good for me. AA9 and Lil Gun too.

Vendor Sponsor

AA#9 is great in the .44 magnum. I suppose LilGun might be quite good too.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Blue Dot is indeed a very good alternative to 2400 and H110 with 240 - 250 gr cast. Suggest you read at least the first few posts in this thread which covers the test I completed.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Alliant-test

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Agree 17gr of Bull Dot, very very accurate in my Marlins.

Boolit Mold
    I have one can of 2400 and haven't found another one in 2 years. Either sells out fast locally, or I don't get online in time before stocks are sold out.

I purchased a pound of Accurate #9, and plan on loading up some rounds on Monday. If it shoots good, I'll start stocking it, as it's around here everywhere.

I would like to try blue dot, however it's been so spotty, I didn't want to get started on it.

I was using IMR 4227 with VERY good results, but I didn't like compressing it, along with it's higher price-tag and charges VS other powders.

For "mid level" loads, I been using Accurate #5 in substitute for Unique (also hard to find here). I contacted accurate and they sent me load data to use Accurate #5, loads can be bumped up to just under 2400 level loads it looks like, although I didn't try them.

Boolit Master
    I found on adi-powders web site an equivalent table they posted. Shows IMR SR4759 and Accurate AA4100 should be the same? I have never of either, but plan on looking as I have not been able to find 2400 either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Blue Dot is indeed a very good alternative to 2400 and H110 with 240 - 250 gr cast. Suggest you read at least the first few posts in this thread which covers the test I completed.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Alliant-test

Larry Gibson
    Thank you for posting that link. I wasn't a member here then, had neevr even considered casting at the time, and had never seen that thread. It's very informative.

Boolit Master

I would also recommend Blue Dot or AA9 in the .44 mag. Both have worked well for me in the past.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I have found AA9 to get a very good substitute for 2400 in both the 357 and 44 Magnum rounds. Last month I bought two 8 lb kegs of Bulleye from Ballistic Products at a very good price. They also had a good supply of Unique and 2400. However it is likely all gone by now. These powders are out there, if you look and have patience.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast