WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to un-sporter my gew98

Boolit Master

going to un-sporter my gew98

My first used gun purchase was a spoterized gew98. Surplus ammo was cheep and I shot it a bunch until the fejen stock cracked. I bought a cheep plastic as a replacement. It's loose fitting and looks...well...cheap. the barrel has been chopped aprox 6in and sights soldered to barrel. I ordered a vz24 stock, gew rear sight, Persian front sight from numric. Should be able to make something that resembles millsurp. Barrel length should be close as the gew was 6in longer .

Banned

"Un-sporterize", I like it.

I did (well, had done) a similar thing once. Dad got in a trade a Mexican Cavalry Carbine in 7x57. Had been used as a parade rifle or something, painted gloss black and the bore was the worst bore I had ever seen (think craters that would swallow a Tpoyota Prius). The action was sound, the safety didn't work, but the rifle was complete.

Anyway, my younger brother retired from the Army and went to gunsmithing school. He needed some projects to do for the school and that one rifle provided several. I got a new manufactured barrel that had the right steps in it and he refinished and fixed everything wrong with it. Obviously, a real collector would be able to tell, but it's a neat range toy now that looks right.

Everybody told me to use the action to make a nice sporter, it was, after all, an FN Belgian action, but I didn't want a sporter out of it. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master
    I have a Yugo 24/47 that the last 2" of the barrel were worn and rusted bad.
    I cut the Barrel down to 19.5" and installed the front site again.
    Then shortened the wood to make it fit the stock, and moved the Furniture back to to make it kinda look right.
    It is sort of a Calvary Carbine Version.
    I also reshaped the metal buttplate to make it more of an Oval rather than the standard Mauser Fatter on the bottom style.
    Then as you can see, I reshaped the wrist and the grip cap area to remove some deep Gouges in the wood.
    then the Bolt handle was Bent over to fit the style of a rifle you would carry in a Saddle Scabbard or across your back
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-02-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Very nice LAGS. I hope mine fits together with out too many adjustments

Boolit Master
    I think you can get a barrel with the right stepped contour within the USA from Lothar Walther. This is their US website, so although it might be a special order the difficulties of importation, which I believe have grown of late, are their affair.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/337.php

Boolit Master
    @ funnyjim014
    Keep is posted on your progress.
    I have a Turkish Mauser that had a Bad barrel at the end also.
    and the stock was cracked at the Nose Piece.
    So, I shortened it too.
    But I wanted to keep it semi Military because I have so many others that are true Sporters that have Modified Military stocks, or Aftermarket Sporter stocks and barrels.
    I thru a scope on it, because My eyes are not as good as they use to be.
    But this being a Small Ring Barrel Varient, I am limited to the options for replacement Barrels, and the Money I would have to put into the rifle, that is not really worth that much compared to the Large Ring 98's.
    I did all my own work, even making the New Nose cap for the end of the stock.
    The barrel is .326 Bore but in good condition, and shoots 216 gr Cast Bullets really well.

Boolit Master
    As far as this project goes....cheeper is better. The action is not worth putting a new barrel on it, the barrel that is on it shoots good enough with surplus ammo (i fell into a good deal and have plenty). Ill post some pics when i get parts and get rolling on it

Boolit Master

Nice project, fine work as always Lags. BOS them Lothar barrels are worth every cent, and great option to go full original or change calibers. Have a military profile 98 barrel in 30,06.
    Keep.us posted
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    O by the way has any one ever used the high cap mag box ? I have seen them in sarcos add before but as I recall they were kinda pricy.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    My first used gun purchase was a spoterized gew98. Surplus ammo was cheep and I shot it a bunch until the fejen stock cracked. I bought a cheep plastic as a replacement. It's loose fitting and looks...well...cheap. the barrel has been chopped aprox 6in and sights soldered to barrel. I ordered a vz24 stock, gew rear sight, Persian front sight from numric. Should be able to make something that resembles millsurp. Barrel length should be close as the gew was 6in longer .
    Jim,

The barrel guards will be different on the VZ-24 and German 98s. The VZ-24s have a metal "c" clip that holds them to the barrel. The guard starts at the action. The German rifles have a metal cup that is fixed the barrel and hold the barrel guard over the barrel starting after the rear sight. I'm not sure if the front barrel bands are interchangeable or in the same location. Let us know how the project turns out.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I have a ton of spare parts that I saved from guns that were not worth restoring.
    So I Mix and Match parts to get something shootable together.
    But I also have them for Restorations if I find one worth restoring.
    But, I am not going to Buy a Junk or damaged Mauser for $50.00 to $100.00 and then buy a stock and a barrel and dump $500.00 into it, and still have no collector or Historic Value, and be worth $150.00 to $200 when it is done.
    But I can make some fine Shooters on the Cheap, an save my money to go shooting them more.
    Good luck on your project, and I hope these two rifles can give you some Ideas if you run into a point where you cant get it back to Semi Original.
    I also have a Ton of ones that I sporterized or did a Full on Custom rifle out of them.
    So if you need Ideas, or Help, just ask or PM me.

Boolit Master
    The Trench magazines, I had one from Sarco years Back.
    It was a Nice Toy, but not too practical on a Bolt action.
    A lot of weight, and clumbsy, and I got tired before I ever emptied a Full Magazine.
    They were probably great in the trenches during WW1, but we don't shoot like that any more.
    But if you like to load up and Blast thru ammo at a record pace with little regard for accuracy, and dont care how hot your barrel gets, the It would be the ticket for you.
    But they look Cool mounted on the rifle for display.
    It makes it look tough.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I...But, I am not going to Buy a Junk or damaged Mauser for $50.00 to $100.00 and then buy a stock and a barrel and dump $500.00 into it, and still have no collector or Historic Value, and be worth $150.00 to $200 when it is done....
    Truth!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

I fix old ones up too, recycle part as I find them. I also restore as best I can. Taking an old bubba'ed rifle and making it hit consistently better and look better or cool is fun and my hobby. You can get crazy fixing up milsurps, depend what you want in the end.
    Those trench mags are cool, pricey too for original ones. I have one in my collection.

I think the correct term is DE BUBBA IZE

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Re Bubba in some cases

The Trench magazines, I had one from Sarco years Back.
    It was a Nice Toy, but not too practical on a Bolt action.
    A lot of weight, and clumbsy, and I got tired before I ever emptied a Full Magazine.
    They were probably great in the trenches during WW1, but we don't shoot like that any more.
    But if you like to load up and Blast thru ammo at a record pace with little regard for accuracy, and dont care how hot your barrel gets, the It would be the ticket for you.
    But they look Cool mounted on the rifle for display.
    It makes it look tough.
    Lags,

I like the look too. I've often thought about purchasing an extend trench mag, because they do look cool. But the 98 Mauser is so well balanced with the original internal magazine. One can carry the gun with one hand cradling the action. One modification I do like is the after market button to open the floorplate.
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 01-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Uber7mm

Boolit Master
    I modify the Magazine Box to make it a Hinged Floorplate, with a side Swing catch, or a Push Button release on the Trigger Guard.
    I also Sculpt the trigger guard to make it more streamline.
    I could Just Buy one, But WHY, when I can make my own for 1/10 the cost of an aftermarket part.
    Why buy when you can build.
    I do the Low Scope Safeties and bolt handles myself too

I modify the Magazine Box to make it a Hinged Floorplate, with a side Swing catch, or a Push Button release on the Trigger Guard.
    I also Sculpt the trigger guard to make it more streamline.
    I could Just Buy one, But WHY, when I can make my own for 1/10 the cost of an aftermarket part.
    Why buy when you can build.
    I do the Low Scope Safeties and bolt handles myself too
    Lags,

That's beautiful work. I have not attempted the hinged floor plate. It is a definite improvement from the original mil-spec design.
    Uber7mm

Boolit Master
    Is that a detent to keep your lever from moving on its own? If so what is keeping tension on the lever. Very nice setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast