MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New deep fryer

Moderator Emeritus

I find that spices make a huge difference in fast meals. I had 2 hamburger patties tonight, to keep them from being boring I added raw chopped vidalia onion, some cumin, and a pinch of my nuclear grade chili powder that I make myself. Had salsa on the side instead of ketchup. I was out of bread and was to lazy last night to grind flour to make it today! So I wanted a burger patty that could stand on its own. Grinding it takes a little over an hour, I need to motorize the mill!

I love fresh picked peas. Our garden peas never make it to the house.

I've threatened to get a new deep fryer for a couple years, but we just keep using a fish fry pan/basket on the turkey fryer for big stuff. Mainly for when we have a big batch of homemade french fries
    For smaller batches of stuff the wife has a medium sized soup pot with oil on the stove top. Actually works better than a dedicated deep fryer and takes up less room.
    Of course we have a turkey fry pot to. We use it for corn on the cob way more often than a turkey, though I'm going to fry a turkey in a couple weeks.

Boolit Master
    Hi folks what Oil do you use,i have been using Corn Oil it makes nice French Fries (Chips).

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Wife says 100% canola oil. (its healthier) Love to try peanut oil
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

Corn oil, it is the least processed of the processed oils so the most healthy. Canola is NOT good for you! It has an acid that is poisonous!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Corn oil, it is the least processed of the processed oils so the most healthy. Canola is NOT good for you! It has an acid that is poisonous!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...ola_oil_really

Canola oil comes from canola seeds. They are a genetic variation of rapeseed that was developed in the 1960s using traditional plant-breeding methods to make the rapeseed more palatable.

But canola often gets a bad rap. For example, we get questions from people who’ve heard canola oil is toxic and can cause various diseases, from emphysema to Mad Cow. The truth is there are no sound scientific studies suggesting a link between canola oil and any disease.

We also hear concerns that canola oil is genetically engineered (GE). This is true—most canola (93 percent in the U.S.) is GE. If that’s a concern for you, choose certified organic.

EatingWell often uses canola oil in our recipes because it’s one of the healthiest oil choices. It’s a good source of monounsaturated fats, the kind that, when used to replace saturated fats like butter and cheese, can help reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease. Canola is the richest cooking-oil source of alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fat that has been linked to heart health.

Canola is also versatile: it has a neutral taste, light texture and a medium-high smoke point, so it works well for sautéing and baking. (An oil’s smoke point is the temperature at which it begins to smoke. When it does, disease-causing carcinogens and free radicals are released, so you never want to heat your oil to that point.)
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

We've used most of them, but prefer peanut oil.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I never did get the mushy pea thing... yech! Raw in salads is my favorite way to eat peas! Or just graze in the garden lol
    I believe the English variety is far different than our American varieties . From friends who have had it it is much better than it sounds to our palettes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Yes you are right dried peas boiled until soft,if you continue boiling and stiring until thick it will eventually be Peas Pudding which can be sliced when cold.The old Rhyme "Peas Pudding Hot,Peas Pudding cold Peas Pudding in the Pot nine days old".

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    The Picture is from an article that says frying is healthier than boiling.

Boolit Man
    Why worry about the different oils you deep fry with,why not consider that none of it is good for you in the amounts that it appears some of you use.

Boolit Master
    The only oil that can actually be considered to be "good" for you is fish oil. The rest of the oils must be rated on a scale of, "not as bad for you". Olive oil is probably at the top of that list and Spanish olive oil is probably the best tasting of all the olive oils.

We use goose grease (not so healthy) more than anything else for normal frying. For deep frying we use peanut mostly, with olive oil coming in a distant second. Occasionally safflower oil or organic canola is used for baking.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

heck put batter on anything dead and fry it and I'm in line to eat it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12