Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A "home invasion" thwarted . . . I was lucky

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

A "home invasion" thwarted . . . I was lucky

I just wanted to pass along an experience I had the week before Christmas and perhaps it will get others "thinking" about such things and what "could be".

My wife and I live in a small two bedroom ranch style house that we built on the back of the farm 40 years ago. It sits back from the road and has what some would consider a "long driveway" - but the house is still visible on the hill it sits on from the road.

We are "creatures of habit". We both are retired and live here with our two little dogs - my 10 pound poodle and her 20 pound poodle/bichen mix. They are our "kids". On Mondays, she goes grocery shopping and I usually stay home. I have a room in the basement where I do my reloading, leatherwork, etc.

My wife went shopping the Monday before Christmas. I went to the basement to do some things and as usual, the two dogs went to their beds to lay down in the sunroom off our garage to await her return. About an hour after my wife had left, I became aware of the dogs barking upstairs - they are very good about this when anybody comes to the house. Hmmm, I thought. It's not time for her to be back yet. So, I went upstairs to see what was going on. I found the dogs looking out the window on to the deck that we use for an entrance at the end of the sunroom. I walked over and there was a small sedan parked up by our garage Which is attached to the house and next to the sunroom - nobody in sight. We don't get a lot of visitors but we do have the meter reader come once a month to read the meter so I thought it might be him . . but then I remembered that I had paid the electrical/gas bill the previous week and it was certainly too early to read the meter. I stood there watching the car . . still no one in sight and then the dogs took off running through the kitchen into the living room where we have a front porch entry. I followed, took a quick look . . still saw no one. I walked back in to the sunroom to look out at the car and I saw a tall young black man getting into the passenger seat. My first thought was "where is the driver"?

I stood there a few seconds and saw a younger white woman walking back to the car from the front of the house. I stepped out and asked (politely) if I could help them. The young woman walked over and up on the deck where I was standing just outside the door and she proceeded to tell me they were looking for . . . . (she gave me a name I didn't recognize). She acted very pleasant. She then went on to give me a story that she had "hooked up" with the girl she was looking for on Facebook but the girl didn't give her good directions to the house where she lived, only the road and that the house sat back in from the road, etc., etc. All the time she was looking at me straight in the eye. Something just didn't sit right with me and I began to note various things to remember. One thing was that she had a piercing in her upper left cheek with a diamond like stud in it, the style of her hair and I was able to look past her and see the black fellow in the seat. He had scruffy facial hair and I could guess his height and weight remembering him as I had watched him get into the passenger seat. She said she would keep looking. At that point, I looked her square in the eye and made the statement . . . "you're not form around here and this is a rural area so you'd better be careful when you drive in to someone's driveway and approach their house as many of us carry out here." She never batted an eye and her parting remark was "I really like your dogs, they're cute!" Her behavior and remarks all very "smooth".

They left and went on down the road but the more I thought about it, the more "un-easy" I got about it. Later that day, I stopped at the township to see if I could find the police chief but with holidays coming up, they township offices were on "holiday hours". Then as I thought about it more . . we had a lot on the TV about people looking for packages sitting on decks, porches, etc. that could easily be stolen - I'm sure that was everywhere else as well.

The next night, I had a call from my neighbor across the road. He leaves his house early in the morning and he just wanted to tell me that he had observed a car parked halfway up our driveway a couple of days previous. He turned around down the road and came back and the car was pulling away down the road. He said that he felt we were being "cased". The car he described was not the same as the car I saw that had the white girl and black fellow in it. He said that it made him uneasy enough that he had called the township police and reported it. I later found out that they had sent a car out and checked our house but we had left early that morning to go to a nearby city for a doctor appointment, so we didn't see the police.

The Monday after Christmas, I pulled up our local weekly newspaper on-line and what should I see right on the front page? A story about the arrest of a pair for multiple home invasions - and photos of the girl and guy who had been at my house! According to the story, they had been suspected of two home invasions in the next county over where guns, jewelry, electronics, etc. had been taken. The arresting agency had received a tip, been able to follow them as they went through two other counties plus the one I live in and observed them "casing" homes. They finally had enough evidence to make a stop an they arrested them both.

The following day, I was able to contact our township police chief and fill him in on what had happened at my house. He said they had not been able to link them to any break-ins or home invasions in our township but he would pass the information along to the agency that will be handling the prosecution of both of them. As it turns out, both are heroin addicts and were doing home invasions to steal to support their habit. Fortunately, none of the homes they hit were occupied. I also gave the chief the descriptions on the cars - the one my neighbor saw and the one they were driving . . . and another one that had been on our road that was acting strangely - pulling into driveways, etc.

In talking with the chief, who i have know since he took the job, I mentioned that I have never felt "un-safe" here. Until a few years ago, you could leave home with your doors unlocked and never worry - neighbors knew neighbors and we all kept an eye out on each other. Not so anymore. Our area has had growth over the years and along with that, the "everybody knows everybody" no longer exists. I mentioned that I am licensed to carry in both AZ and MI and that I often carry in AZ but other than a few times here in MI, I never really felt the need. He just looked up from the notes he was writing on what I was saying and very seriously said, "You might want to reconsider that."

Since this all happened, I have had the opportunity to run a lot of thoughts through my head. First, I had a gut feeling that "something wasn't right" with the man and woman and I should have listened to my inner feelings and called 911 immediately .. . . I didn't. If it were not for our two dogs making a fuss and barking, I would probably not have heard them break in if they thought our house was unoccupied as I was in the basement. Had I heard their footsteps on the floor above me, I probably would have assumed that my wife was home from the store and would have gone upstairs to help carry in the groceries which is my usual habit. If that had happened, I would have run into both the man and the woman inside our house and since our house is small, it wouldn't have taken long . . . and I could easily have been surprised and overtaken by 2 on 1. Home invasions occur daily in this country and often result in a surprised occupant . .and their death as a result.

In years past, I worked ambulance as well as fire & rescue. I saw many many tragic things that still haunt my sleep at nights. I have always tried to be aware of my surroundings and possible things that could happen and have tried to impress those things on my wife as well when she is out and about. But I still would like to think that I try to find the "best" in people . . . but lets face it . . . there is a lot of evil that exists in this world and a lot of people who would slit your throat over a dollar or actually, nothing. I saw it in my experiences while working ambulance/fire/rescue and I am well aware that often times an addict will do what is necessary to get their next fix . . even if it means doing harm to another individual. I was even shot at once as we arrived on scene and as a result, I refuse to be a "victim" and try to be aware at all times of what is going on around me . . . or I would like to think so at least. But, as my experience above illustrates . . it doesn't always work that way.

Years ago, I had a friend who moved to Florida after he retired with his wife and he got a job with the maintenance department of a nearby community college. The had an apartment in a nice area. One morning, he got up, got around, had breakfast with his wife and went out to go to work like he always did. He got to his car and was attacked by an addict who was high. The guy had a claw hammer and beat him repeatedly over the head. Another resident saw it and called 911 and a nearby cruiser responded and nabbed the perp . . but my friend was very near death. Fortunately, he survived but was never right after that.

I had a cousin who worked as a cashier in a newly built corner drug store. She was very outgoing, loved her job and loved people. A guy came in "high", showed her a knife and demanded the money in the cash register. She was a larger gal and very spunky . . she refused to give the guy anything. The guy jumped the counter, stabbed her over and over and then grabbed the cash he could get and ran out. She died almost instantly. The store had only been open for a week and was in a very good neighborhood.

I say all this to let people know that "things" can happen anytime . . . anywhere . . . and you need to be aware of your surroundings and what is going on. If you see something that "doesn't sit right" . . . don't question it. Call 911 . . . it is better to be safe than sorry.

I . . . as most people do . . . live under the false illusion that we like to feel "safe" in our homes and that nothing bad could ever happen to us there. But then most of us were brought up with morals and compassion for others and know the difference between "right and wrong". But there are many, many people out there that don't live by the moral compass that we do. I have always kept a loaded handgun hidden where I thought that I could easily get to it if necessary. After thinking about what could have happened if we did not have the dogs and I did not hear them, I no longer live under that illusion. Nor do I think that I can "handle" a situation no matter what. One person intruding . . . maybe if you were lucky. More than one person invading your space . . . don't count on it. As our police chief said . . "you'd better rethink that". The experience rattled me enough that I know that if I am here alone, or my wife is, there will be a loaded weapon in close proximity. If I am here alone or working outside in my shop or yard, it will be on my belt. And I don't consider that as being "afraid" . . I consider it to be "common sense" with the way things are becoming . . . and it doesn't make a difference where you live.

I wonder what Hillary or any of her gang would do in such a situation? Of course she and many of others who tout the anti-gun movement have either their own bodyguards or tax supported secret service in her situation. To depend on LE for your protection is a fallacy . . . and I am not knocking LE at all, I have the highest respect for them and what they do. But in 99% of the time . . . they are "reactive" to a situation and vary rarely in the position to "prevent". In the end, it's about neighbors looking out for neighbors. Keep your eyes open and if something appears strange or out of the norm, call and report it. That call may give the LE the upper hand to "prevent" rather than having to "react". Assess you own situation and determine how you can make your environment more safe in terms of preventing break ins or possible home invasions. I'm sure that most LE agencies would be more than happy to provide information and suggestions. I think everyone can agree that material things can be replaced if stolen . . . but a life can't. As the police chief said . .. I was lucky as the duo that I ran into here at the house had been stealing guns and they are still trying to sift out as to whether they were in possession of any as they did their home invasions.

Hopefully no one here will have an experience like this and I'm sorry for the length of this post. But I hope that it will get some to thinking about what could happen and to be prepared as to how they might react . . . and to remind us all that we need to look out for our neighbors and each other.

Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for taking the time to remind us all. I keep telling folks I know including my family to always be orepared and aware of your surroundings. Carrying in this state is not allowed which is one of the reasons why I am leaving latter this year after my divirce. I really worry about my daughter who lives in Philly with here boyfriend and both are anti gun - the government will protect them. No matter what I say it makes no difference. Scared she may have to learn the hard way. Glad you were ok and the dogs gave you enough of a heads up.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 01-01-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Home carry. Period.

If someone really was coming in to grab you, your stuff, or both, how long would it take you to get to your pistol/shotgun/whatever?

Glad they got the thieves, and glad you are unharmed.

Boolit Master
    Good to have some dogs around the house. Trusting your gut feelings and being aware is not paranoia.

I have always had a shotgun or rifle on hand. No handguns until a couple of years ago. Mainly would carry in car when traveling back to Mississippi, pretty much a reactive move. We've now got several handguns and feel like we are pretty safe here in Arkansas, but there are a lot of shady folks up here too. Crack users being arrested every week. I really can't carry at work, one of those employer that prohibits Guns on premises. Almost makes me want to change jobs, but we do good work and it is difficult at my age. Thanks for the message and we'll start watching ever more closely and carrying more.

Banned
    Casing the house for a potential burglary seems more likely than the prelude to home invasion [robbery at an occupied residence]. The term "home invasion" gets tossed around quite a bit these days. That being said, you were lucky that you confronted them before they made entry. Had you surprised them inside the home while they were committing the burglary, the odds of that turning violent would have been much greater.

They were checking the house to see if it was occupied and when they were discovered, the female created a cover story for their presence. Not a very good cover story as you noted but she needed to come up with something. Had they believed the home was unoccupied they almost certainly would have entered and started to seek valuables to steal.

Fortunately the dogs alerted you to their presence and you were able to confront the female before they made entry.
    I'm glad it turned out well and they were later arrested. Heroin addicts are notorious thieves and hopefully those two will be convicted of all of their prior burglaries.

Vendor Sponsor

I spend a lot of time back in my back bedroom which is our office and media center. We have several computers back here and we watch movies and keep up with daily events back here. I thought it prudent to include a 1911 strategically placed under a pile of casually laid papers and notes for easy access. I have a different gun by the bedside. In the event someone gets into the house I don't want to be caught in a different room than my 45s. Most days I am holstered in my house if I have come in from an errand I don't take it off. I'm not paranoid, just prepared because you NEVER know, you just NEVER know when something out of the ordinary comes your way and you may need a firearm to steer the chain of events in a favorable direction..

Thankfully, no harm came to you or your wife or neighbors. Not always the case.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-02-2016 at 01:22 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Fergie nailed it. Carry all the time, home and away.

And give the duty barkers a steak and lots of praise for giving the alert.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Glad this ended well! So often it doesn't!

Our Sherrif's dept maintains a "complaint line" ........ I know the number well .......... we ranch for a living and have lots of interactions ....... that number saves a lot of 911 traffic.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Petrol & Powder,
    In Michigan breaking and entering a dwelling place with felonious intent is "Home Invasion". It makes no difference if it is occupied or not. Different states use different terminology for the same crime. NY talks of differing degree felonies...with the exception of Murder and Criminal Sexual Conduct (see we don't rape in Michigan) we don't use "degrees". Home Invasion was the correct terminology for what bedbugbilly was talking about, here in Michigan.

Perma-Banned

Glad it turned out well for you and cheap lessons were learned.

I have a Pekingese who alerts at sounds no human can hear. I always take him seriously and heap praise and affection on him every time he "goes off". There is always a serious handgun within reach whatever room in the house I find myself. I live in a "gun rich" environment. Mostly they are Glocks with 30 round mags.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I am always armed,and I have a dog that will get into your rear pockets with you,this combo has put a stop to stop grab and run problemd that I was having.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

I live out in a rural area that neighbor's houses are within sight but 4-500 yards away. I work out of the house and keep my S&W 3914 on my desk. There are other guns around the house loaded and within reach. When I am doing yard work and gardening, I carry my mother's High Standard 22 magnum derringer. (she got too old and weak to pull the trigger).
    You never know.......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Bedbugbilly, I spent 30 years in law enforcement and retired as a detective Sgt. I do not take your comment on law enforcement not being there to always protect as an insult. It is the darn truth and I have told many citizens that during my time in law enforcement.
    I also live in a rural mountain area in retirement. If a stranger comes in to my driveway or door, when I greet him there is a concealed handgun on me or near by that I can grab in 2 seconds or less.
    Even in a city, response time is from 5-15 minutes on a 9-11 call. In rural areas it can be 30 minutes before law enforcement can get there. Everyone should except the fact they may one day find themselves having to protect themselves and family and should prepare for it.
    Last edited by knifemaker; 01-01-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Good job, Billy. Security ALWAYS comes first, and nobody you haven't known long enough to establish good faith and trust in gets trusted. That's not "seeing the worst in people," it's just good common sense today, with all the rampant druggies doing all manner of things to innocents. My wife has the Polyanna attitude, and I get no help, and she doesn't seem to want to learn the real necessity of security, but she's finally starting to get an inkling, at least sort of. I carry almost 100% of the time in my own home. It's not a big gun, just a little .380, but it beats wearing a silly grin! We've never had a break in here. I kind'a have a little bit of reputation, and I find that sort'a satisfying. Did have a redneck come into my yard claiming my dog was his, though, and wound up having to tell him that I was armed and that he didn't want to try to start a fight with me. He and his girlfriend finally realized their mistake, and he kind'a sort'a apologized, but still left in a huff. I feel for anyone who's lost their dog, but this was NO way to conduct one's self on anohter man's property! All sorts of things happen today, and anyone who assumes they're safe, even in their own home, really needs to get a grip on reality today.

As the old saying goes, "Once burnt (or almost), a lesson learnt." I bet I'd hate to try to repeat that instance today on your property! And good on ya' for it, too! Back when crooks didn't have hapless, "it's all gonna' be OK" victims, we didn't have the kinds and natures of crimes we do now. Stay tough and sensible, and take care of whatever business comes your way. It may save another's life, as well as your own and your wife's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Petrol & Powder,
    In Michigan breaking and entering a dwelling place with felonious intent is "Home Invasion". It makes no difference if it is occupied or not. Different states use different terminology for the same crime. NY talks of differing degree felonies...with the exception of Murder and Criminal Sexual Conduct (see we don't rape in Michigan) we don't use "degrees". Home Invasion was the correct terminology for what bedbugbilly was talking about, here in Michigan.
    Caught It !
    You're correct that under Michigan law a breaking and entry of a dwelling while armed or breaking and entry of an occupied building is classified as a home invasion. Looks like a good law!

Michigan code section 750.110a: in part:
    (2) A person who breaks and enters a dwelling with intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault in the dwelling, a person who enters a dwelling without permission with intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault in the dwelling, or a person who breaks and enters a dwelling or enters a dwelling without permission and, at any time while he or she is entering, present in, or exiting the dwelling, commits a felony, larceny, or assault is guilty of home invasion in the first degree if at any time while the person is entering, present in, or exiting the dwelling either of the following circumstances exists:
    (a) The person is armed with a dangerous weapon.

(b) Another person is lawfully present in the dwelling.

If the intruder is unarmed AND the dwelling is unoccupied, the conduct reverts to 750.110 which is Michigan's breaking and entering law.

It looks like a completed larceny or felony makes it a home invasion even if the dwelling is unoccupied or the intruder is unarmed. Again, pretty good law.

Clearly in the event described by the OP could have been a home invasion if the subjects had made entry into the OP's house because the owner was present.

The above law can be found here: http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/...cl-chap750.pdf
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 01-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Food for thought, indeed. Good job on getting a good description, hope they get put away for a long time. I don't make a point of carrying around the house but a shotgun is always close by. Maybe that will change.
    FWIW cops around here use the term "home invasion" to describe when felons force their way into an occupied home and rob the residents at gunpoint. Drugs are almost always involved, sometimes the "victim" is a user as well. Most burglars don't want to confront residents and will leave if detected. Home invasions are a whole different scenario, perps aren't afraid to confront their victims and it often ends badly for the resident(s).
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-01-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Fergie nailed it. Carry all the time, home and away.

And give the duty barkers a steak and lots of praise for giving the alert.
    Yes.
    Those little dogs saved the day, maybe even your life.
    I remain convinced that keeping a dog (Or better yet, multiple dogs) around the house is one of the best security systems there is.
    They were "just doing their job" but they did it pretty well, didn't they?
    Bonus treats are in order!

Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Jim,
    In a situation like that I hope you went out to greet her (Armed)! When any stranger approaches my home I make it very obvious I'm "carrying" concealed if you know what I mean!
    Stay safe
    Friend ,
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast