Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reducing BP Loads

Super Moderator

Reducing BP Loads

Hi All,

I bought a Lyman Deerstalker 54 cal. caplock for my birthday present to me a couple of months ago. This is my fist BP rifle. Now that work has slowed down a bit, I'm finally getting some time to go shoot it. I'm impressed so far! I have both the Investarm and Lyman manual for it, and the Investarm manual shows about a 10 grain decrease in powder charge over the Lyman.

The powders I have on hand are Goex 2F and 3F. For the .530 & .535 Round ball, how low can I go? I tried some loads listed in the manuals (100 2F & 80 3F) with good success, but have no clue on safely reducing my BP loads. I have the max loads listed, but no starting loads. I want to do some ladder/accuracy testing. Thanks for any advise...!

Boolit Mold
    General rule is 1 grain per caliber for a minimum load so 54 grains of 2f. Usually optimum load will be +/- 10 grains of 1.5 times caliber so 81 grains. You can try 5shot groups in 5 grain increments and look for the tightest pattern. I found Dutch Schultz papers on ML accuracy to be a reat read. Hope this helps.

Wally

Super Moderator

Thank you Wally, that is helpful.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    No problem reducing loads. 65 gr. 3f seems to work pretty well in most. You can load it down until it just poops out the barrel, won't hurt a thing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

What Waksupi said. It isn't like cartridge guns. Different powder and the round rests on the powder. Work your load down. Just like working up loads only go the other way. Reduce charges like 5 gr at a time until you get as low as you feel is right for what you want.
    Aim small, miss small!

Super Moderator

Thanks guys. Not necessarily looking for "blooper" loads, but I felt uncomfortable just down-loading without asking about it first. I will definitely try the 65 gr of 3F...and work up 5 gr at a time. I may also start with 75 gr of 2F and work up as well. Just needed a reference point. Thanks again.

I suggest the Dixie gun works paper catalog,the various info in the back is well worth the price !
    I usually play for accuracy, that can vary among guns ( just as with smokeless ) but is rarely found at max load ( well sometimes with smokeless and ball powders) roundballs are quite fun, I'm really fond of the hornaday great plains boolits for hunting and the Lee r.e.a.l.
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Super Moderator

fryboy, YES on the Hornady Great Plains Boolits! I bought a pack of the 425 gr 54 cal and 5 shots clover-leafed at 50 yds with 100 gr of Goex 2F. I installed the 57 SML peep sight on my Deerstalker, and so far I am VERY impressed with the accuracy of this rifle. I need to get everything dialed in at 100yds now. Going out tomorrow to do this, and work on some accuracy loads with the round balls. I will check out Dixie Gun Works catalog. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Now these aren't the kind of loads I would hunt deer or anything of the size with, but I have loaded my .50 and .54 rifles as low as 20-30grs FFFg for small game loads. Your Lyman has a patent breech, which is a smaller diameter chamber at the breech end of the barrel, so you have to use enough to make sure you have no air space between the powder and ball, but as long as the projectile is on the powder, you're fine. These loads are great for younger or recoil sensitive shooters, or for small game, but just don't start thinking that they're not dangerous to whatever gets hit with one just because they don't kick. That's what makes muzzleloaders so great. They're a lot more versatile than most people would believe.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyinIN View Post
    General rule is 1 grain per caliber for a minimum load so 54 grains of 2f. Usually optimum load will be +/- 10 grains of 1.5 times caliber so 81 grains. You can try 5shot groups in 5 grain increments and look for the tightest pattern. I found Dutch Schultz papers on ML accuracy to be a reat read. Hope this helps.

Wally
    Might work for 45 caliber and up but not a good place to start with a 32 caliber. My 32 seems to like 10 grains of powder. The old saying was to place the ball on your hand and pore powder over it till the ball was covered. I have never done this and don't know if it is even close.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    I suggest the Dixie gun works paper catalog,the various info in the back is well worth the price !
    I usually play for accuracy, that can vary among guns ( just as with smokeless ) but is rarely found at max load ( well sometimes with smokeless and ball powders) roundballs are quite fun, I'm really fond of the hornaday great plains boolits for hunting and the Lee r.e.a.l.
    The first Dixie Catalog I got over 50 years ago advised to use "Just enough powder to get the ball to the target" for those who wanted a target rifle.
    Turner Kirkland also stressed that the ball had to be seated firmly on the powder with no space or air gap.
    I have shot my 45 caliber Lyman caplock with 40 (volume) grains of GOEX black powder and five shots of round ball make a single jagged hole at 50 yards with a tang sight.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Banned

50 grains of either flavor, 2f or 3f, then work up from there in 5 grain increments to find the most accurate/consistent load with the same ball size and patch size and lube, and cap brand/size.

I have gone as low as 20 gr 3f in my 45 tc flinter with no problems. Its fun to punch paper at 25yds.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    As has been posted ...........start at 54 gr and work your way up , patches , distance , etc many variables . Heck ! Thats the fun of it , I recommend 3f but 2f will work , you will have a good time figuring it out . Good luck !

Boolit Mold
    The starting load is 1 gr per caliber, so you'd be somewhere around 50-55. Some people go lower, until the ball barely leaves the barrel. My wife shoots a .40 cal capper, and her usual load target load is around 20 grains of FFF. Recoil is at or even below .22 LR level.

Boolit Master

When the ball clears the muzzle with BP the load is safe this is not smokeless .