Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone built something in 5.7x28 or 25 acp?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone built something in 5.7x28 or 25 acp?

Looking for something in .25 acp or 5.7x28 to have a tailorable reloadable .22 lr in essence. I have found the following in my searches.

.25 ACP most people think it's a joke a few pursue the idea but never post anything conclusive about the finished product or how it performed.

5.7x28 all I can find available are butt ugly black things that look like they belong in a sci fi movie.

I suppose having a custom made contender barrel made is always an easier option, if you liked contenders.

So what are one's options apart from stubbing a H&R shotgun? Remove the lug on a .223 barrel, cut back and rechamber and re-attach the lug? Just looking for options here and it doesn't necessarily have to be a single shot either but I figured that would be the most cost effective and simple route.

I know you can download .223 to .22 mag and even lr velocities but I don't want to hassle with using filler etc. I'd rather hassle with building a unique rifle instead.

Boolit Master
    savage had 5.7x28 available in the model 25 walking varminter a few years back but I believe has been discontinued.

Boolit Master

.22 TCM?

Basically a really shortened .223 round...

Ballistically similar to 5.7x28, maybe a bit faster.

Boolit Buddy
    as far as I know the walking varmiter never hit the open market, something about legal troubles with FN?

I thought about the TCM it is another consideration. I have already found subsonic load data for it, uses readily available components, dies are a bit pricey but other than that it doesn't sound bad. There is a bolt action rifle available for it but I have dug up little to no info on accuracy, reliability and overall quality of the rifle. A single shot could also be done as mentioned earlier with the 5.7 setting a barrel back and cutting a new chamber. I seen a post on another forum where a member mentioned he had ruger #1's in .22 tcm and 5.7 fn both rechamber jobs, even a 7.62x25 tok which was kind of interesting but I'd like to stick with .22 or .25 caliber otherwise I'd just get a .357 mag and shoot slow .38's out of it.

Boolit Master

I have been seriously looking at the 25 Hornet for the same purpose. Just a thought!

RB

Boolit Buddy
    just like the efficiency of a 25 acp, around 6500 rounds per pound of powder and around 120-150 boolits per pound of lead. can be loaded for about 1/2 the cost of decent .22 lr ammo

222 Rem , 221 Fireball , 22 Hornet. http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american-223-rem/

They all three have different twist rates on the barrels.

Something like 3.5 grains of Red Dot in one of those under a 45 grain plain base bullet.
    There is no position sensitivity with the shotgun powders Unique and faster. 2400 can be a little sensitive. But it would burn dirty and not so consistent at low charges anyway. 2400 is not position sensitive in a 222 loaded at 2350 fps under a 60 grain bullet. Lyman and NOE have them. 1200 fps is about top end for a plain base bullet.

Couple years ago I purchases the CZ-527 LUX model in 222 Rem. I truly adore that rifle and cartridge. The 22 Hornet would be nice. But the 222 gives me the option of shooting 50 grain bullets over 3,300 fps. The mini Mausers are tiny little rifles. Not to be confused with a 223 chambered standard short action . I shoot cast boolits at 2,400 fps sub MOA from my 222 Rem. It is pretty loud though. Plan to try some 5.0 grain 700x loads. That’s still a gas check bullet at around 1700 fps. Would use the 55gr Lee Bator mold I have that way it would be easy to tell my other loads apart. Plus it’s a shorter bullet that should stabilize at the low velocity. For my money I’d bet on the 1:14” twist as more accurate sub sonic than the 1:16” twist Hornet.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    just like the efficiency of a 25 acp, around 6500 rounds per pound of powder and around 120-150 boolits per pound of lead. can be loaded for about 1/2 the cost of decent .22 lr ammo

Boolit Grand Master
    I got my first H&R, a Model 58 in .410 for Christmas in 1975. I learned that H&R made rifles on the same basic action a few years later when my cousin's uncle showed me an example in .22 Hornet.

I thought about making one in .25ACP, but with .22's running under a dollar a box it didn't make economic sense at the time. I have thought about it over the years, with the cost and availability of .22 ammo now, it makes a lot more sense.

Probably the easiest way would be to use one of the .25ACP barrel liners to stub a shotgun. If you can do the work yourself, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

It does sound like fun, until you get your fingers pinched loading the teeny tiny cases.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Bull berry will make a Contender barrel for the 5.7 x 28 or just about anything else. The .25 ACP is a .251 bullet not the 'usual' .257 for 25's, so factory will probably be inaccurate in a .257 barrel, or finding a .251 barrel could be more expensive. There is an inexpensive bolt gun made by Rock Island for the .22 TCM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mgm5_7x28.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	156990
    This is mine. A MGM barrel I got a few years ago. Have not used it much for a few years and would consider parting with it ( sans scope & mount, + dies). Don't have the time to play with these days.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 18" with iron sights and scope, TC Contender in 5.7x28FN. I do shoot the RCBS 225-055-FN boolit and I get about 1" group at 50 yards more often than not.
    I have 100's of loading data for the cartridge on bullets ranging from 33gr TNT to 70gr Speer SPTZ.
    My good cast load is AA#7, 6.4gr with the RCBS 58gr GC and CCI-550 SP magnum primer.
    If I remember right, I get around 2000 fps with that load. I need to rebuild my loading files since I did a computer clean up and changed hard drives. When I do, I will share it with you.

Camba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.7x28FN with RCBS 22-055-SP.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	157005
    Last edited by Camba; 01-01-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: picture

Boolit Buddy
    If I went with a bolt action hornet it would definitely be a CZ, I have one of their mini mausers in 7.62x39 that is a very nice rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    If I went with a bolt action hornet it would definitely be a CZ, I have one of their mini mausers in 7.62x39 that is a very nice rifle
    Bill: Is that the same rifle CZ offers in 5.56? Is the action made by CZ or Zavasta?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it's the CZ 527 Carbine. Action is CZ, zastava makes a similar rifle that is a touch lower quality from what I understand

Boolit Mold
    Track of the wolf has barrel liner for .25 Colt Auto, .243" bore, .250" groove, 1-14" twist, 6 grooves, 7/16" OD, price per inch, order the quantity in inches you require.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1

Boolit Buddy
    I am working on a 22 tcm, about like a 5.7 fn but brass can be formed from 223 and high pressure excursions are harder to have.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have wanted to buy one of those 22 tcm rifles and rebarrel it to 9mm or 38 super since it takes widebody 1911 mags.

Boolit Master
    i have a Customized Ruger New Model Convertible Single Six Revolver, originally a .22 Cal., but now a .25ACP, and other Cartridges, Center Fire Single Eight with a 10-5/8" 6 Groove 1:9.8" twist Lothar Walther sourced Cr-Mo Barrel Blank; turned and fitted by Willie Clark of "American Gun Works" in Glendale, California.
    . I still have the Remaining 12 plus (Correct to 8 inches remaining) Inches of the Barrel blank left for another Project.
    . I bought 'replacement 22-MAG eight Shot cylinders' and had them reamed out and chambered for:
    - First, the .25ACP;
    - Second my ".250ALRM" using PT&G Chamber Reamers.

The ".250ALRM" is an early version of my 1.250" case length .25ACP body diameter cartridges made form .22 Hornet Brass, Swaged down to .276" body diameter all the way to the top of the Rim, using Lee Precision .25ACP Carbide Ring Sizing Die; while supporting the primer pocket with an RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Tool set up to limit the Depth of the punch into the Pocket.

A similar Case made From 5.7x28mm FN Brass is published as the "6.35x32mmSR Stewart" at 1.250" to 1.220" case lengths, along with shorter versions;
    . the "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart" at 1.125" case length
    . the "6.35x26mmSR Stewart / .25 Magnum Auto" at between 1.056" to 1.020" case Lengths.
    . and the ".25 Automaticv Long Rifle" at .960"nominal case length.
    I have fired ".25ACP Ruger Loads" up to 3.1 Grains of BE-86 Behind a 50 grain FMJ Bullet and 3.0 grains of BE-86 behind a 63 Grain FP Lead Bullet. I used WSP on Both recipes and loaded to an OAL of .905"(+.005/-.003").

I am still learning to properly hold the Ruger as it is the First Long Barrel Revolver I have Shot and it still Seems Muzzle heavy to me.

Accuracy is still in question as I cannot hold it truly well and have not fired it from any Form of Rest. Initial (first outing) pattern was about 8" diameter at 15 yards. subsequent outings have Shrunk to about 3" at 7 yards, with no further shooting yet at 15 yards.
    This is double Handed grip shooting.

There are threads describing the Revolver, with Photos, and my Range Experiences on this Forum and may be found by searching with "Stevens" as the Search term.

So far I am Pleased with how it is shooting but less happy about my Poor Hold for Firing it. More Practice and Range Time I think will improve my Performance.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-17-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Corrected Typos adn revised information.

Buckshot Bill,
    Still need to get back out with it for more load development.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-what-powder
    Definitely fun and worth the work, not to mention the strange looks when people see the brass.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast