RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 444 Marlin Reduced Loads

444 Marlin Reduced Loads

I just purchased a Handi in 444 Marlin and want to shoot reduced loads in it but there is not much info out there. Does anybody have any information on reduced loads? I would like to shoot a 240 grain jacketed bullet around 1300 to 1500 FPS.
    Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

BigTee

Banned
    trial boss works. i loaded up some 200gr xtp with tb and at 50 yards i shot a 12 shot group that measured 1/2".

there's unique but i'm not sure if it does jacketed bullets.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master
    Check with Western Powder/Accurate Powder for reduced loads of 5744.

1. Look at a full power load for a .44 mag with the same bullet using 2400 or 4227

2. Take a look at a Lyman cast bullet hand book.

3. Look at this site

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Last edited by EDG; 01-01-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Contender barrel rechambered from 44 mag to 444 Marlin about 6 hand surgeries ago. I'll locate my book from back then and post my reduced loads. I think I used Unique but will know for sure when I look.

I have test loads ready with H4895 and Trail Boss. Going to try some 2400 also. You can never find 5744 around here or I would try it also. Thanks very much for the info and help.
    Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

BigTee

Boolit Master
    My 444 Marlin shoots my 255 gr SWC-PB very well at 1200 fps with a charge of 21 gr of 5744. It is fun to shoot all day since the recoil id so gentle. I have not asked for great accuracy from that load but it is still minute-of-peach can at 75 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
    I just purchased a Handi in 444 Marlin and want to shoot reduced loads in it but there is not much info out there. Does anybody have any information on reduced loads? I would like to shoot a 240 grain jacketed bullet around 1300 to 1500 FPS.
    I have shot Lever action silhouettes with a Marlin 444 loaded with 245grs or so 429421 cast about 15 BHN and 17 grs of Unique.They were going 1500 something and went about 6 inches at 200 yards on a paper ram silhouette. The ram always fell if I hit it.
    Then I got a 38/55.

I am shooting my Handi in .444 marlin with the Lee .430 310 gr gas checked over 13 grains of Red Dot.
    According to the research I've done that load is going to be somewhere in the 1600 + fps area which is not bad for a light load. Still has a pretty good kick to it, got cloverleafs at 25 and 75 yards while sighting in my scope.

I do not shoot it a lot as my shoulder starts complaining after 6-10 shots.

Been thinking of loading some 220 gr bullets I have with a lighter charge, like 8-10 grains of Red Dot.

Would use up my lead slower and be a bit more fun to shoot. Essentially a .44 mag load in a .444.

Boolit Buddy
    GhostHawk,

How are those loads working out for you? I have a .444 Handi, a Lee 310 mold and a bunch of Red Dot and I was hoping that someone was having luck with that combo.

Boolit Master
    Lyman cast bullet handbook has some 444 loads.

6 grains of Red Dot under any bullet in the 200-310 grain range will work.

Essentially a .44 mag round in a .444marlin long case.

I have simply not had the energy to pack the range bag, pack the car, drive to the range, unpack, shoot, and then reverse it all again. It just is not there. Last couple of range trips took me 2 to 3 days after to recover. That is 2 -3 days in the recliner letting the body recharge while I read or watch tv.

Takes too big a chunk. So I let my range membership lapse.
    I can still go shoot any day I want for 20$ which IMO is not bad at all.
    But I just don't have the energy. And my shooting buddy is fighting bipolar and depression and the meds have given him palsy, his hands shake. So he sold his guns.
    We have little left to talk about, so I no longer see or hear from him.

Getting old is not for lightweights. Frankly I never thought I would make it.

I need a young local protege, someone who can drive, who is willing to sit still and listen. Who could inherit a big chunk of my hard won wisdom.

And I don't have one and have no idea how to find one. And my grandkids are too many thousand miles away in North Carolina, and I'm stuck up here in Dakota.

Life sucks and then you die.

LOL, have a good nite ya'll thanks for letting me vent.

Jacketed bullets have less friction in the bore, and a 12.0 gr. Unique load would do nicely in the .444 Marlin. 17.0 grs. of Unique will be right at your maximum of 1500 fps you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
    I have test loads ready with H4895 and Trail Boss. Going to try some 2400 also. You can never find 5744 around here or I would try it also. Thanks very much for the info and help.
    BigTee..........I'd be interested in how you do with the 2400???? I've never used it ,It must be some good powder the way some talk about it!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    I did some work with a 265 gr cast over Unique in a 444. From 8 to 15 grains it tracked very close to 100 fps / grain of powder (chronoed).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I did some work with a 265 gr cast over Unique in a 444. From 8 to 15 grains it tracked very close to 100 fps / grain of powder (chronoed).
    Good to know, thanks. I have been looking for some loads to try in my Contender.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

My best 444 reduced load to date is 13.0gr of Unique and 1/2 gr Kapok, under a 240gr cast bullet. This load prints 4" lower at 100yards than my full power "hunting load" in a Marlin 444P (18 1/2" BBL), and "clocks" 1475fps. Another "fun" load with Unique is 13.0gr under a .433 diameter round ball at 1664fps; a good load to about 50 yards. (I tried up to 3 of the .433 round balls in the case, but they were very unpredictable and "patterned" rather than "grouped" at distances greater than 25 yards.)

I did more testing with my .444 and A1680 uses 30ge under a 225 gr boolit works well also now I found 2400 and WoW 22gr under a 200gr RN does really well for a feel good round !!!! 17gr of 2400 under a Lee 310gc is also Good for me !!!

Ol Deuce

Banned
    i have done a 280gr wfn gc with 25.5gr of 2400 with a tuft of dacron in my tc encore 444 marlin(24" barrel). it goes 1700+/-fps.

I use medium to heavy .44 magnum equivalent loads in mine. More fun to shoot than the full house .444.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    i have done a 280gr wfn gc with 25.5gr of 2400 with a tuft of dacron in my tc encore 444 marlin(24" barrel). it goes 1700+/-fps.
    Just acquired 8lbs of 2400 , I'm ready for spring !!! Lots of testing coming right up !!!!! Ol Deuce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast