Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Smoker Took A Dive....

Boolit Grand Master

Smoker Took A Dive....

...off the table of my outdoor kitchen during the heavy winds last weekend. Can't complain, lots of folks just a little south of me lost everything.
    It was a 30" Masterbilt from Cabelas with a thermostat and temp probe. Never used the probe but the thermostat is pretty handy. It used regular wood chips and turned out the best pork ribs I've ever had. RIP old friend, sure hope someone has them on sale this weekend!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

That sucks. I mounted my 40" on casters and keep it inside. Just roll it around when I need it.
    I figure if I got a different one it would have 2 doors. One that would open for just adding wood and I wouldnt loose all the smoke and heat every time.

Boolit Grand Master

Caught the same smoker on sale at Cabelas last night for a very good price. They're on backorder but I can wait the 4-6 weeks. I'll salvage a few parts off this one and bid it a fond farewell.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I thought was gonna be a thread about the Marlboro Man committing suicide from a bridge.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Caught the same smoker on sale at Cabelas last night for a very good price. They're on backorder but I can wait the 4-6 weeks. I'll salvage a few parts off this one and bid it a fond farewell.
    Turn it into a powder coating spray booth.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Turn it into a powder coating spray booth.

Slim
    Hadn't considered that, mainly because I'm not a fan of PC'ing. Can't imagine how it would work for that, door is knocked completely off and inside has a pretty good coating of smoke. You're welcome to it if you're willing to make the drive.

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass though.
    My cardboard box with the lazy susan works well enough for me.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Cabela's sent me an e-mail. Delivery date for my new smoker is 04/05/16. That's a lot of good cookin' weekends away. Time for plan B.

Perma-Banned
    Sorry to hear about your smoker! I had the exact same one, 30" masterbuilt, went to smoke some chickens in it one day and it wouldn't come on? The digital thermostat on top worked great but it wouldn't come on, I thought it made a funny noise when I turned it on, sure enuf the element had went out, I contacted masterbuilt, they wanted my receipt which I didn't have anymore, I gave them the model number and was told that my element was not replaceable, turns out the older models were built totally different than the newer ones, the old models required a whole new cabinet, way more than it was worth! Do a google search on the older masterbuilt smokers and you can read a TON of hate and discontent about the element going out and masterbuilt customer service being piss poor at best! I hauled mine to garbage dump and ended up going with a propane smoker, cook shack or something like that? Anyway it's big, red, and has a stainless looking door, I have yet to use it so I can't comment on it, will put it to use this summer on Kokanee salmon

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going shopping for a smoker this weekend. Have heard bad stuff about the Masterbuilt but have had very good service (and AEWSOME ribs) from this one. I'll keep an open mind, 54bore. Thanks!

Banned

How bad is the damage? i have a spare door you can have for postage and a box. If the frame is not damaged you would be good to go. It just slips on pins.
    My door was catching on the aluminum inner cover. Masterbuilt sent me a new one free. Just tapping the aluminum in fixed it but I kept it on the shelf in the garage.

Banned

I will measure for you to see if it is right.

Boolit Grand Master

I took my old smoker box (firebox burned/rusted out) and bought the Amazin Smoker box and have it cool smoking some cheese and almonds as I type this.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I was in our Cabela's this week and passed by a whole long row of smokers! Boy was I TEMPTED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I took my old smoker box (firebox burned/rusted out) and bought the Amazin Smoker box and have it cool smoking some cheese and almonds as I type this.
    Have never heard of these before reading your comment Wayne, now I went and ordered a 12" tube smoker for me to use in my Traeger pellet grill, and got gf's dad a 6" to use on his small gas grill because I needed $1.01 more to get free shipping and hey who can beat free shipping right?
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-06-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Picked up a replacement smoker today, same model as the old one sans temp probe (never used it). Got it for a good price from Atwoods, a farm & ranch store in Gainesville. Leveled up my table, scrubbed it off & put my new smoker together. It's out there "seasoning" tonight before it's test run tomorrow. Have some chicken thighs thawing, supper tomorrow should be fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Cheese is settling in the fridge - everybody loved the almonds made from the recipe in the Amazin pamphlet. If you do these, as I did, on aluminium foil, spray oil on the foil first! I didn't but will next time.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I didnt have any luck cold smoking nuts, so I tried them hot smoked and they turned out very good.

Well that stinks. I hope your new one serves you as good as your old one did.

Banned

I smoke outside of course but I bring my smoker into the garage after.

Vendor Sponsor

I posted a vid on the a-maze-n smoker but moved it and gave it it's own thread so not to hijack this one!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-21-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.