Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Adjustable length-of-pull stock for little people

Boolit Buddy

Adjustable length-of-pull stock for little people

I recently introduced my 4 and 6 year old daughters to shooting with an ultra-low powered BB gun. They both enjoyed their 1st experience and my 6 yr old announced shooting was her new favorite thing! Any way, the butt-to-trigger distance on the stock BB gun stock is about 14 inches. Even though both my daughter's are very tall for their ages, their length-of-pull distances are only about 6.5 - 7.5 inches. To start them shooting, I had them put the stock over the top/outside of their shoulder. Not ideal, but it was the only way I could teach shooting with an erect head.

When we came home, I made this semi-adjustable stock to fit both kids. I designed this stock for very quick l-o-p adjustments as the kids take turns shooting. It uses stackable stock length sections. Each section keys into the adjoining section with a pair of dowel pins and is held firmly together with strong magnets.

The stock isn't pretty, but my kids can fix that with some Disney stickers and magic markers.

*** stock pics in next post***

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the original stock (detached) and my custom stock.

Here's an image of the stackable stock sections.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a pretty slick setup to me.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it will work perfectly to get them shooting and setup properly. Nice job.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Good for you!

You can always buy another stock if needed!

When I was a farm boy in GA, every 8 year old had a Daisy BB gun!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pretty slick idea, using magnets to hold the extra blocks on. As the girls grow, I can see you gluing or screwing the sections that always stay on in place until they use the standard stock.

Robert

Boolit Master
    This is an excellent post. My youngest grandkids are 3 and 5 We don't have a BB gun yet. Mostly they shoot the cricket with CB caps.
    I won't do that with the walnut stock on the cricket but I might make another stock from a pine 2x6 and do that to it.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

Had to do that for Carol and guess on what? Browning superposed 20 ga. I can switch for me or her.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad you guys like the idea. I hope you'll can use this concept to introduce more people to the shooting sports with properly fitting equipment. If you fit a rifle (firearm, not air guns), make sure your new stock conforms to BATFE regulations. BATFE defines a non-NFA rifle as having a barrel length of 16 inches or more, AND an overall length of 26 inches or greater.

Wolfer, this stock started life as a pine 2x6... I couldn't bring myself to chop-up the original factory stock.

44man, did you do something similar? Will you post some pictures?

Banned

I used a full recoil pad for me and a rifle pad for her but I have done the wood thing for the girls like you did. I used pins to align the wood pieces. They have the guns so I have no pictures.
    I still had to cut and fit the Browning for pads.
    I found another problem with the superposed, had a trap stock so it shot so high we could not hit a bird. I took a file to the comb---OH HORRORS! But it hits now. Can't tell by looking at it either.
    But the gun was only $310 back then. I fixed what was wrong.
    You did very good and made nice cuts. Good for you.