Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Model 92 whinny feed problems

Boolit Buddy

Model 92 whinny feed problems

I have a model 92 production 1910 according to the book of Winchester. It was originally a 32-20, but has been rebored to 357 Mag. When I first got it, I shot some 357 handloads with 158 Hornady XTP's. They fed just fine. Next I tried some 38 spl semi-wadcutters. Didn't feed worth a didly. The boolit would jam into the edges of the chamber, and get stuck. Next I tried some store bought PRVI 158 grn lrn 38's. They fed flawlessly. Even managed to smoke a couple of rock chucks with them. So I bought a Lee 158 grn rnfp mold thinking that this would feed well, and with the huge meplat would make a good hunting boolit. It seems to feed well most of the time in 38 cases, but not so well in 357 cases. I'm considering going with a full rn mold, but don't know how it would do as a hunting boolit for up to deer sized game. I completely disassembled the rifle and cleaned it. It seems to be doing some better in the shop with dummy rounds, with the Lee. Also I noticed while I had it apart that the lifter had been ground on to modify it in some way. I'm wondering about installing a lifter from Rossi 92 in 357. Any input on boolit ideas, or on the lifter would be greatly appreciated. Or any other thoughts. Thanks Gunny.

Boolit Master
    You do understand that if you seated the Lee 158 grn rnfp to identical depths in both the 38 and 357 cases, you overall cartridge length changed?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, That's the basic difference between the two cartridges. But the rifle is chambered in 357, and it's with those cartridges that I'm having the most problem. That's why I'm wondering if the lifter might be the problem. That it may be lifting the 357's at to steep of an angle, as the boolit is hitting the top of the chamber and shearing or just getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    You do understand that if you seated the Lee 158 grn rnfp to identical depths in both the 38 and 357 cases, you overall cartridge length changed?

Boolit Master

The cartridge stop may not be able to handle the semi wadcutters, perhaps?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    The cartridge stop may not be able to handle the semi wadcutters, perhaps?
    That's a thought. Thanks I'll look at that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if the rear of the chamber is too sharp an edge and the bullets are catching on that. Should it be radiused a very minutely amount to just break that sharp edge?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJohn View Post
    Also I noticed while I had it apart that the lifter had been ground on to modify it in some way.
    Could it be that someone tried to grind or file a taper in the lifter to lower the forward end of the cartridge?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

If you do get it to feed in 357 remember NO hot loads. The rifle was made with 20,000 pounds in mind not 35,000 or the 42 that some early 357 loads put out. I have seen several of these shot to flinders with hot 357's. As to the feeding problem load up a few dummies and run them slow as much as you need to see just were the hang up is. If you need to the lifter from a Rossi can be adapted.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys,
    I'll look into your suggestions. I appreciate all the help. Happy New Year to all.

Boolit Master

I converted a 32-20 to 357 many years ago and swore I would never do another one. The feed rails were in and out of that gun at least 2 dozen times and it was one with the screws from the inside. Finally got it to work if the lever was move fast but if you tried to feed it slow it would jam.