Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 'Pressing' turret decisions...

'Pressing' turret decisions...

I have been wanting a turret press for a while...

I have a Tru-Line Jr. that came with some other stuff that I bought a while back. I posted it for trade/sale quite a while back but there didn't seem to be any interest and it doesn't look like they are worth much either??

While I would really like a Lee Classic Turret, I am now trying to decide if I want to make some replacement turrets, maybe 5 or 6 hole but not sure, for the Jr. to use 7/8" dies. I would never use it for full length sizing... but I am hooked on the collet neck size dies so they do 90% of my sizing

I found a piece of 4" round for material pretty cheap and programming the cnc mill to do the work is not a huge deal. The problem is that I only have the 3 "J" shellholders and only one of them fits any of the cartridges I would load. To get the other four or five shell holders would maybe cost me as much as buying the Lee reconditioned or on sale! There is the J to X shell holder adapter but then you loose some height and most of the cartridges I want to do are medium length rifle (308 Win class). I wouldn't need the longer priming posts though as I prefer to hand prime off of the press anyway, as part of my brass prep.

I think the little press is kind of neat, but not sure if it is worth all the work to make it into what I would like to use it for. I like the fact that the turrets are so easy to change on the Lee, but it isn't like removing the single nut on the Jr. is difficult. The Lee is also 'theoretically' capable of more concentric loading, but I doubt I will ever shoot well enough to notice.

Would the sages of the Boolit Brotherhood help me decide which way to go?

Boolit Master
    Their are a few here who really think highly of the little press. I myself am convinced it would be an asset for low volume small pistol reloading. That is where it would excell. The Lee is far and away more useful for your intended purpose. Stronger design,compound linkage,quick change turret, optional auto advance, uses standard shell holders, larger cartrige capacity,optional saftey prime. Not really even a contest.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    I would vote for the Lee turret press. I had a three hole press for many years and bought a four hole when they came out. I use the four hole press instead of a single stage press for making ammo in small quantities. Once the dies are set, you can leave them alone and just change the turret for another caliber. It takes only a few seconds to change the turret and shell holder. The priming system is not the greatest but it works OK if you aware of its issues and watch for them. Many years ago I used the three hole to reload everything, to include .308, but now use a Rockchucker for resizing large rifle brass because it is a little easier. My primary press is a Dillon 550.

Gus Youmans

Well... sounds like two votes for saving up for the Lee. Thought that more people would maybe chime in to help me make a decision but with the holidays, many are probably busy. -Dragon

Boolit Buddy

Here is a 3 hole Lee:
    Lee Reloading Presses - Lee 3 Hole Turret and Lee Pro 1000 Progressive

Check our the S&S section.

Boolit Master
    I have the LEE classic turret and use it on 9mm all the way to 45-70. It is a great press and a dream to use. Once your dies are set on a turret, you don't have to change them. Turret plates are not that expensive and I have 9 set up to accommodate all my calibers that I load for. Not as fast as the progressives, but I do enjoy the hobby and don't care about production speed. Couple the turret with a LEE auto drum powder dispenser, and you have a pretty fast 'progressive' loader.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    No contest - Lee Classic Turret for a nice volume increase while maintaining cartridge quality.

Banned

I have two Classic Turret Presses, both with Inline Fabrication Roller Handles and Quick Mounts for my Untramounts. Very happy with the Classic Cast, but I do not use the Auto-Index feature which really sets it apart from any other turret press, real good speed/output.

Boolit Master
    As much as I love my converted Tru-Line Jr., The Lee Classic Cast Turret is the clear winner here. It's stronger and more versatile.

Also, the cost of shell holders for the Jr. is just silly like 15.00 to 20.00 bucks each on e-bay! Equal to the cost of a 4 hole turret!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10712811_10205257176058338_5723044975506089944_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	157249
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Thanks for all of the input guys. The Tru-line is just so darn cute, and I like vintage tools, but... I realized that I can buy two turrets for each shellholder that I need for the tru-line, along with the fact that it still isn't best suited for what I want after making conversion turrets.

So the Tru-Line has been listed in 'sellin & swapin' and will hopefully find a loving home, where it will have many years of use.

Boolit Grand Master

Dies and shell holders are the drawbacks for the Tru-line Jr. I would keep the Jr. as is and spend money on an upgrade that can use conventional dies and shell holders. Keep an eye out at flea markets, estate sales and even fleabay...I got a neat Lyman All-American turret, that takes standard dies and shell holders at a flea market for $45.00. Pick True-Line Jr. dies and shell holders for your use when you find them, everybody can use a second or third press for odd jobs.
    Gary