Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sizing Lyman 450 or Saeco old black crinkle finish one

Boolit Buddy

Sizing Lyman 450 or Saeco old black crinkle finish one

As we are starting to look at casting bullets am looking at what would be best to use for the sizing and lubricating the cast lead bullets for rifle. Thinking of the 303 British, 308 win, and possibly 9.3x57mm. Now I have two lubrisizers here that I have never used despite owning them for about 10-20 years the Lyman is grey bodies witht eh red handle so think it has the updated linkage the Saeco I was given and have never really looked at and need to find out where I stashed it now.

Understand that the Saeco is supposed to be supperior but the dies are more costly the Lyman is easier and cheaper to get up and running.

Now is this correct and which would you go with given the choice?

Have an old electric lead furnance as well but of course need other stuff to get going casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd clean both of them up and put them into service. You'll probably want to try different lubes and having two sizers would be beneficial.

You will also end up with real world experience as to the pluses and minuses of each tool.

define superior please ? and consider that it too can be as individual opinion as a individual
    i do agree that the lyman dies cost less and a 1/4" bolt can be used a a top punch for flat nosed castings , in the end both work . i'd run with what you have in hand and dont have to look for
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    Ahh as I have both of them already, I know where the Lyman is exactly as tripped over it the other day when looking for something else the Saeco is somewhere in there just have to move some stuff around a find where I put it.

Now Superior as I have read it the Saeco does not leak lube or so it is said but the Lyman leaking lube is fairly common according to what I have read. Please correct me if this is incorrect!

Before buying dies have to first figure out what size the barrel groove dimensions are and as this is going to be small scale casting am thinking that one quality lube will do. Which lube is a question for another day of course.

This is the 303 that I am wanting to cast for the bullet in the case is a commercailly cast 205 grn GC and the nose measures 0.300" -0.301" and as you can see it's snug at the muzzle. This barrel is brand new BSA Manufactured one:-

The private view mark dates from 1954 or 1955 but it seems it was never fitted after the ball burnishing. I acquired it from John Knibbs through a local RFD.

That was Ball Burnished by AG Parkers of Birmingham but the bore is still tight. Being of true 5 groove Enfield form it's difficult to measure the groove diameter with a normal Caliper or Micrometer.

I'm A Honcho!
    I have had all the Sizers.
    I still have an rcbs, Saeco, star, Lyman 45, Lyman 450.
    They all work great but my default for all rifle is the Saeco black with crinkle finish. It makes check seating easy and runs very square with both guide rods. It makes the rifle boolits very true and square.

I use my Saeco and star the most.
    My 2 cents.

Slayer

Le Loup Solitaire
    I never owned a Lyman so can't comment on it, but I have used a black crinkle finish Saeco for several decades and it has always done good work for me. Never leaked or loosened up. Dies have always been expensive and the top punches as well. At one point I bought another one with green crinkle finish and it is the same machine except for the finish. Have been satisfied with both. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you both. I will go and have a look round and see if I can come up with the Seaco sizer again. It's in there somewhere just need to move a lot of junk and find out where. Need a sort out and trip to the dump methinks. Also need to get the bench built to hold it and the press. We had a little water ingress and it blew the top of my old bench so need to replace it.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it seems that the Saeco has disappeared so it will have to be the Lyman 450. As I have to empty where the Saeco should have been it may yet turn up but due to the events just over 4 yars ago I will not be holding my breath on this. I am saddened by this as it was given to me by an old friend whom died of cancer a few years ago.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post
    I have had all the Sizers.
    I still have an rcbs, Saeco, star, Lyman 45, Lyman 450.
    They all work great but my default for all rifle is the Saeco black with crinkle finish. It makes check seating easy and runs very square with both guide rods. It makes the rifle boolits very true and square.

I use my Saeco and star the most.
    My 2 cents.

Slayer

I share slayer's opinion about the SAECO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

I wish I had a sizer I have problems with my lever action not wanting to close the last 2 mm or so, (45-70) I found a way to put the top half of my lee loader into my press because I remember having to really pound the bullets to get them through, it sizes them down a little but not nearly enough, you can easily see the boolit and lube grooves through the brass. problem is I have no money, lol. is there just a simple sizer die like in the lee cataloge but without the container and alox?even 26.99 plus shipping is too much for me, and they only list .457, I think I need a .458
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I am gonna have someone with a lathe spin a .458 boolit sizer out of a 7/8 bolt that fits my press, any tips, should it be a shallow straight angle,convex,concave? and will there be any springback to compensate for,for instance if the inside diameter is .458 will the boolit come out .4585 or .459?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.