RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 300 savage die problem

Boolit Man

300 savage die problem

I was at a gun show and bought a set of new in box 300sav dies made by Schissel they were still packed in cosmoline in the original box so I know they are new. My son has an old 99 and with the price of ammo for it going thru the roof I knew it was just a matter of time before he popped the question! Well I went to work reloading some for him and the dies don't seem to size the neck down far enough to hold the bullet. Was the older brass thicker in the neck and if the newer brass is thinner do newer dies compensate for the thinner necks?

Boolit Master
    measure the expander ball on the decapper stem. it should measure .305 to .306 any bigger and there is not enough neck tension.

Boolit Man
    When I lower the ram the expander ball doesn't even touch the case on the way out. No resistance at all but I'm gonna run upstairs n measure to be sure.

Boolit Man
    The expander ball measures 0.3055

Boolit Master
    ok, measure the outside diameter of the sized case neck. I will compare it to my 300 savage brass.

Banned

I assume you're talking about the neck is too large for J-word bullets. They may have sized the neck just right for fatter cast bullets. If it was a cast bullet you tried to test the fit then they are way out of specs.

Boolit Man
    My resized brass measures 0.328 with a thickness of .009. I'm using mixed brass mostly federal and Remington doesn't matter

Banned

Hmmmmm.....those necks are thin. You could form some out of 308 brass and the necks should be thicker. As they are though they are just about right for a .312 cast bullet.

Boolit Master
    my savage brass numbers are the same as yours. i tried to hand seat a .308 jacketed bullet and it would not go in.

Boolit Master
    what kind of bullets are you trying to load?

Boolit Man
    I have no idea how old those dies are I can't even find any info on schissel I had a similar problem with a set of 308 dies I bought used I replaced em with new and no more issues. I just wonder if the old and I mean really old brass was heavier/ thicker brass

Boolit Man
    Hornady 150 gr sp. they measure 0.308.I'm confused probably order a new set of dies n see if that works or try to bring my boy into the fold n get him pushing naked lead!! Lol if anyone could give me any info on them Schissel dies I would appreciate it!

Boolit Master
    I resized some of the 300 sav. brass i have and i also could not feel any resistance when i withdraw the case from the sizer die. can you see any evidence the sizer is sizing the neck itself?

Banned

That company or man made all kind of reloading tools from dies to presses, to bullet presses. By all means bring that boy of yours into the fold.

Boolit Man
    I'm working on him! Neither of my boys are too interested at this point they are in their mid 20s I suppose they got a lot of other things going! They love to shoot n hunt but just no time for this. I was at a gun show once and a man's son was selling off his dad's reloading equipment there was all kinds of stuff he had no idea what he had! There was swaging equipment and supplies galore for making .224 I spent the whole day at that table trying to make sense of it but I just don't have the knowledge as of yet! Sad!!

Boolit Master
    Your brass appears to be too thin. They should be about .012 to .013.
    Your die neck is the same size as the .308 and .303 dies that I have at .328.
    EDG

Banned

wait so your inside diameter is 310?
    hmm years ago they used to cut off 7.7 jap barrels about 2/3 the way down the chamber and re-thread them and then clean them up with 300 savage reamers.
    this gave you a 300 savage chamber but the barrel needed 311 bullets.
    your die may have been opened up for this purpose, if so I could be interested in buying them.

Banned

I would think just the standard dimensions for 300 Savage neck (inside/outside) but loaded with a fatter bullet for thoses 7.7 that were cut back and chambered for a 300 Savage would be the accuracy setup as it would then have minimum neck clearance. Don't you runfiverun? Those 7.7 neck chambers are fat.