RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: how hard

Boolit Mold

how hard

want to make up deer cb load in my 358 win. using rcbs mold. how hard on bhn scale can i go and still get expansion and decent vel. guess i'am asking whats the best compromise ? thanks in advance Ed

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ed, I shoot water quenched wheel weight boolits in my .358. I don't get all that much, if any expansion. But, I use a profile with a large meplate, that makes a very good wound channel. I have used the same boolits, with annealed noses, and can't really say they worked any better. They shoot right through deer and elk, and do a very efficient job. Depending on your twist, you should be able to shoot up to around 2200 fps, without too much struggle.

Welcome to the board!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remebrance

I'll echo what Ric said. This "hard cast" idea is a salesmanship gimmick from the commercial suppliers and "gun press". Truth is hard cast is for specialized applications as it brings all sorts of trouble with it. Straight WW, quenched or tempered or not, is perfectly capable of harvesting deer, elk, bear, etc out to the ranges where trajectory and remaining velocity makes shooting unwise. Given a proper design and adequate weight and diameter, the 358 has the diameter, you should be fine. The RCBS 35-200, the 358 SWC's, the vaunted 358009- all will work. Just don't buy into this "it's gotta be rock hard" idea for hunting. WW will expand a bit at 2000 fps given enough body to make it do so. A 125lb whitetail might not do it. But since you already have a 35 cal through and through hole his days are done. If you want them to drop in their tracks break the shoulders. BTW- the shoulders lay higher than most folks seem to think.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well, you end up with a bigger than .35 hole in the carcass. More like an inch and a half, average, it would appear, with more extensive soft tissue damage in the lungs, heart, or liver, should they be struck. Those things make a splash when they hit! I had some elk ribs the other night, and there was an exit hole in that section, of about 1.5" diameter. And yes, you can usually eat right up to the hole!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Ed

I would like to make one suggestion as to alloy. Try 50%wheelweights mixed with 50% pure lead and quench it straight from the mold in cool water size real soon after removal from the water in a push through die if sizing is neccessary. A fair amount of dish soap added to the water before quenching is all that is required for lube in the push throughs if sizing less than .002. Rinse them and set them somewheres warmish.

After about 1 week they will range in the 19 to 20 bhn area and will perform beautifully on game, this alloy also seems to match the requirement of most 35 cals launch force perfectly.

Michael

Boolit Master at heavens range
    357 Max. is 100 % right, I used a 35 Rem. 2 years ago on deer and str. Lino. The bullets went under the skin and blowed up and found no pieces. I really didnt think Str. lino would do that. Almost lost my deer. Joe