WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Bullet molds

Boolit Bub

Storing Bullet molds

I am in the process of finishing my dedicated reloading room. It is climate controlled 11x17' room with a 17' bench on one wall. I will do all of my casting in another area and it will only be cooled while I am casting.

That said, I have about 75 molds and will be storing them in the climate controlled reloading room. What is everyone's favorite method of storing them so you can find individual molds and keep everything organized. In the past I have stored them in a closet on a couple of shelves, but have been considering using a metal rolling tool box to keep everything organized. The shelves tend to collect other stuff and then it can be hard finding the mold you are looking for.

Boolit Master

Harbor freight sells a plastic hinged box that is about 6" wide X 14" long and 3" deep. It has adjustable partitions for width. These will not hold Lee six cavities but you can store about 12 RCBS molds or six four cavities. I would lean toward a tool box with drawers and cut a piece of plywood that each mold would fit into. The " holes" could be labeled so molds could be immediately identified.

Boolit Grand Master

These are the Harbor freight boxes.

They will hold 7 four cavity Mihec molds. Two of the spaces are to small to hold a four cavity NOE mold. If the sprue plate was shortened about an 1/8" they would fit perfectly. These are the best boxes I've been able to find to store my collection. If you have a lot of two cavity molds there would be a lot of wasted space in them.

Boolit Bub
    Those work well, I have a couple different versions of those for my loose molds that are not in boxes, and I found a fishing tackle box that was big enough for about 8 or 10 Lee 6 cavitys without handles.

I probably have 20 handles in various shapes and sizes plus about 10-15 Lee 1 and 2 cavities with the attached handles. Most of my handles live with a mold attached. Those are what I am really trying to figure Out how I want to store.

Boolit Master
    I keep them in the little green plastic boxes that they come in...With the anti-rust paper.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Man
    Old Tupperware boxes with the reusable dessicant packs.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I keep all my Lee molds (2 & 6 bangers) in the boxes they came in....with handles attached. 36 of them. I hate changing handles out on 6 bangers!

I found some cardboard boxes at a local box store my company uses that had boxes almost the same size as the Lee's to keep my growing family of 4/5/6 cavity brass dudes in.

Brass and aluminum......no rust problems here!

banger

Boolit Master
    Mine are all with handles. I use cheap Tupperware tubs and sort them by calibers and use dessiccant packs. My loading room is also climate controlled.
    I have been thinking about using a mini fridge and a goldenrod.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I am in the process of finishing my dedicated reloading room. It is climate controlled 11x17' room with a 17' bench on one wall. I will do all of my casting in another area and it will only be cooled while I am casting.

That said, I have about 75 molds and will be storing them in the climate controlled reloading room. What is everyone's favorite method of storing them so you can find individual molds and keep everything organized. In the past I have stored them in a closet on a couple of shelves, but have been considering using a metal rolling tool box to keep everything organized. The shelves tend to collect other stuff and then it can be hard finding the mold you are looking for.

This is exactly what I use. The tool drawers are exactly the correct depth to hold a mold.
    I live in a climate where I don't have to worry ab out rust.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have always used GI ammo cans for storage The molds themselves are soaked in Clenzoil and cleaned when ready for use with acetone, wiped dry and dried with a heat gun prior to preheating. Nothing has ever rusted so far. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried the original boxes, 20mm ammo cans, this and that. I finally settled on putting a couple of shelves up near my melting pot and putting them there. It can take a minute to find the mould I'm looking for, but it's better than digging through boxes. Only a couple of steel moulds, the rest are aluminum and brass.

Boolit Buddy

Silica and dessicant packs are spendy. At your local craft store, buy a box of old style blackboard chalk, for a buck or maybe a buck'fifty. Use an exacto or razor knife to create 1/2" or so pieces, and place one of those in whatever compartment you store your molds in.

I've had a box of this chalk, cardboard pkging cut so as to expose 1/2 of the stick bundle, sitting in my gunsafe, for 6-7 yrs now. No moisture, no rust.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master

I store my molds with the handles attached in a kitchen cabinet in my shop, The steel molds are stored with PB Blaster dry lube and is cleaned with denatured alcohol before I use them. I have no problems with rust at all.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have as many molds as some of you, but I spray mine with gun oil and have them in 50 cal ammo cans. I like the idea of the roll around tool box. Some of the larger drawers could be used for your smelting tools, ladles, ingot molds, ect. Another option is with a 17ft work bench would be drawers under the bench top.

Boolit Master
    OK, so I may be going overboard on this...I have a food storage vacuum bag machine. I squirt the mold with oil and then vacuum bag it. I have a lot of molds in a lot of different calibers and my interests run in streaks so molds may lay dormant for a very long time before being used. Handles...have lots of those too...are just stored in a plastic bin.

The food saver I have is called a "Gamesaver". Seems to work fine for as little I use it.
    [

my 20 some molds are stored with handles attached and stored "dry" in 2 Mk19 ammo cans, with a little desicant. Time to cast, just grab the mold and go, no cleaning needed
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    i made a rack for all 11 mold w/handles and sprayed each with a good coat of dry graphite lube.

Banned
    Depends on how much you want to spend. As others have pointed out, rust prevention is key. Organization comes second and ease of retrieval sort of depends on how often you use them. Then there is the handles attached vs. handles detached for storage.

A metal tool box with drawers deep enough for the molds would be a good ready-made system for molds, handles and related equipment but I would want to keep the molds in their original boxes within the drawers.
    If you have some carpentry skills and some time, a really nice wooden drawer with dividers could be made.

I just keep mine on a shelf with the related gear but they are oiled or greased before going back into their boxes for storage.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking about banging a simple board shelf to the underside of my basement staircase, above where I've got my dies stored. In other words, a simple shelf if you have the space. Only rust I worry about is in my 2 or 3 steel molds, all the rest are AL. Handles on when possible (own more molds than handles). They're currently in three large labeled cardboard boxes. Thanks for the chalk tip, Rush1886.

Boolit Grand Master

As of yet I haven't found a really good solution to mold storage. The Mihec HP 4C molds are in plastic boxes I bought a closeout of in the "80s. The Noe molds are in the HF parts boxes and there are several ammo boxes of molds with mounted handles.
    I'm still looking, since nothing I've found is rust proof or convenient.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast