Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington RM380 and R51 Compact

Boolit Master

FWIW: The Remington website still proudly advertises the R51; it is the first product that is displayed when you click on the "Handguns" category.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When Remington first announced the R51, I got interested in it as I thought it might be a good 9mm to have. Then the reviews by the gun gurus showed up saying how their samples were so good as far as function and workmanship. OK . . . we all know how "reviews" are . . . especially by reviewers in a magazine that the mfg. advertised in. And then the production models hit the stores . . somewhat. I looked for one in a number of stores just because I wanted to handle it and see what it was all about . . . never was able to see one.

It's unfortunate when a mfg. runs into such a complete "flubbar" . . . sort of reminds you when the Edsel came out. I wish Remington no ill will whatsoever. I have shot a number of Remington products for 50 some years and they were always one of the well known companies just as Winchester, Browning, etc. were. But you can't live on "reputation" alone or your past history. Had the R51 actually been what it was touted to be and hyped up to be . . . I would have gladly purchased one even if it were a time before supply met up with the demand. But it didn't work that way.

Remington is not unlikd many manufacturers today . . . they are run by the bean counters and the bottom line is what is important . . . not producing a quality product at an affordable price and maintaining their past history and reputation. Ruger works hard at it . . . Henry works hard at it . . . and IMHO, they do an excellent job. But even Colt has had their problems and hopefully they can come out of it. Remington? Unless they make a concentrated effort in their advertising and PR to the gun buying market that they "screwed up" and have learned from it . . . there are too many other good options to turn to and purchase.

Personally . . . I got fed up with the whole R51 fiasco and went with a 9mm Shield. Is it the same design? Nope. But it functions well and goes bang with whatever I feed it and I know I can depend on it for a CC weapon. The R51? I would always have my doubts . . . .

The one good thing to come out of this is maybe Remington will correct the styling as part of the re-launch. Because I want my guns to go boom, not do this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_n15s6nTmPz1s4twweo1_500.jpg  

Boolit Master

I'm definitely not counting myself out for one. I also don't mind tweeking, etc., within my abilities. Must be why I have milsurps around that all need effort in one way or another to get them to shoot well, I am learning something.

I discovered via the web that the Remington engineer who developed the R51 and was present at SHOT Show in launch 2014, by October of that year was at a different company. So if Rem has a team trying to make the design work, he's apparently not on it. Which is not encouraging (having been a technical project manager/ designer myself in a different industry). It suggests that either he or the company lacked faith in the other, which makes the R51 an orphan project already in technical and marketing trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12