Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: lapping to increase weight?

Boolit Mold

lapping to increase weight?

I've posted a question in the alloy section about how my molds are dropping slightly under weight bullets with a certain alloy. These are coated using Hy-Tek and then used and sold for IPSC completion, with powerfactor being an important part of the game at major matches I want my bullets as close to the advertised weight as possible. Just to be clear this is a small scale manufacturing company, personally I'll just bump my velocity a bit to be sure but customers are finicky about advertised weights and I want to give them the best product possible. When lapping a couple hundred thousandths will the weight increase? Only looking for a grain increase. I have 3 sets of 8 2 cavity molds for my bullet master, this is not gonna be a quick process but it will be worth it in the end if it produces a better bullet.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Boolit Master
    depends on how much weight you need to gain, lapping won't give you much. Be more specific about actual vs intended size/weight. Changing your alloy plus lapping your mold might get you where you need to be.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    Looking for .5 a grain. 147 grain 9mm drop at 123.5 average + - .5 of a grain 180 grain .40 weigh 179.5 same variance. I know I'm being picky but don't see how that's a bad thing.

Boolit Mold
    Changing alloys is an option but the supplier I have is by far the cheapest and 91-7-2 is the only close option for bullet making.

Boolit Master
    Well that's not much, then. If all you need is half a grain, lapping would do it for that small amount. If you wanted to get really picky you could identify any cavities that cast consistently lighter and lap those first.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    I've got my old bottom pour and handles for the molds. I'll be going through 24 2 cavity molds to get them all uniform. As I said it's gonna be a long process but in the end will be worth it.

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    If all the molds drop uniform bullets currently I wouldn't worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master

Run a cooler melt temp if you can still get acceptable boolits without wrinkling. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the tip, I'll turn it down a bit and see what I can get out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Slightly cooler casting temps and a slightly softer alloy should do the trick. Your molds sound very consistent to me. I'd be happy with them but I'm sure some customers are picky.

Banned

that's too picky.
    the 2/6/92 alloy is plenty hard enough I'd do myself a favor and order some cheaper pure lead and throw in 2-5% to make up the weight difference.
    hell 10% would be better.
    you won't even see a bhn drop.