Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: F16 to F22

Boolit Master

F16 to F22

Merry Christmas! A friend and I were talking of the advancement in fighter planes and I got to wondering what was the most practical advancement of the 22 over the F16? My wandering mind got me on this path after our conversation on the later fighter planes over their predecessor. Keep it simple for me to comprehend!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Stealth Fighter over conventional fighter.
    Harder for the enemy to detect and shoot at, either from the air or ground.

My military specialty was fighter radar and I worked F-14A Tomcat radar for my career. The Tomcat could lockup and shoot down aircraft that could only detect it with threat detectors similar to the "Fuzzbuster" radar detector.
    A stealth fighter will have a similar edge over the basic Mig.

The Soviet tactic was to overwhelm us with superior numbers. That will still work against stealth fighters. If our fighter kills ten of theirs before they kill one of ours and they have a numerical advantage of 12:1 then it comes down to simple math and we all passed math!

Comparing the F16 to the F22 is off a notch. The F-15 single seat dedicated air to air is the bird the F22 was made to replace. Either the 15 or 22 would blow a 16 out of the air fifty miles before the 16 new they were there. Simple mismatch there. The FA-18 Super Hornet with a nice big Destroyer handy to provide radar energy to the air. Would take out any of them. But then adding in a ship is cheating isn't it. As of last weeks budget. None of the afore mentioned aircraft are in production for 2016.

For an F16 comparison. Rank it against the F105 and A7 Corsair it replaced.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Comparing the F16 to the F22 is off a notch. The F-15 single seat dedicated air to air is the bird the F22 was made to replace. Either the 15 or 22 would blow a 16 out of the air fifty miles before the 16 new they were there. Simple mismatch there. The FA-18 Super Hornet with a nice big Destroyer handy to provide radar energy to the air. Would take out any of them. But then adding in a ship is cheating isn't it. As of last weeks budget. None of the afore mentioned aircraft are in production for 2016.

For an F16 comparison. Rank it against the F105 and A7 Corsair it replaced.
    Not a shipboard radar, AWACS or E-2C Hawkeye.

Boolit Master

No mention of the new F35? But then some consider the F35 to be little more than an expensive boondoggle, I'm not saying one way or the other because I simply don't know but for sure it's already getting it's share of bad press!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    No mention of the new F35? But then some consider the F35 to be little more than an expensive boondoggle, I'm not saying one way or the other because I simply don't know but for sure it's already getting it's share of bad press!
    Reds and Watermelons (Green outside/Red inside) and Anti-War Activists/Supporters (Our Enemies' Fifth Column/Useful Idiots) always deride, denigrate, and delay any potentially useful weapon.

Boolit Master
    The F-22 can super cruise. Fly supersonic without afterburners.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

a10's and UFO's get my vote haha. im glad i don't have to cast the ammo for the A10

The new war birds are very impressive in their capabilities. I watch the F-35 almost daily.

My issue is their cost. It is unbelievable how much their development is costing the tax payers. The numbers are simply staggering. For the most part, these government defense contractors are profit mongering, crooks. Having worked very closely with multiple big-name contractors over the years, I am sickened by the way the government interacts and deals with big defense industry.

In a nutshell, industry promises to build the "next best thing". A couple years later and a couple billion dollars later there isn't much to show for it. Contractor comes back and says we need more money. It's hard to say no when you are already a couple billion committed. Then you end up with projects that drag on for 10+ years. For a comical but truly accurate depiction of how the system works, watch the movie "Pentagon Wars".

Yes, I am a bit jaded, but I see/experience first hand how it works.

Having said that, "kudos" to the few companies that are out there doing good work and keeping a good balance between what the warfighter needs and what the taxpayers should be paying.

For reference, the U-2 was developed and delivered in under two years and under budget. The F-35, by comparison, has been in development for 15 years, is about 3 years behind schedule and has a development price tag of 60 billion$. Total cost is currently sitting at over one trillion dollars! Honestly, I feel like defense companies used to do their work out of a sense of patriotism and profit was not the first concern. Nowadays, it's all about making money, period.

Boolit Master
    There used to be 6 or more big aerospace companies now there are 3. Completion is what used to help control costs. The contractors now have NASA and DOD over a barrel.

Tim

Boolit Master
    The P51 went from a sketch on a diner napkin to a flying prototype in appx 90 days.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    The P51 went from a sketch on a diner napkin to a flying prototype in appx 90 days.
    Leo
    And the relevant point is????????

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    There used to be 6 or more big aerospace companies now there are 3. Completion is what used to help control costs. The contractors now have NASA and DOD over a barrel
    Tim

That's only because we don't buy outside the country.

Some other Aircraft Companies produce some good planes.

Eurofighter Typhoon

And you don't need the newest most expensive wiz bang when you are fighting in some of the places we are currently fighting.

And the mechanical is the easy to build part generally (P51) the electronic's is what's really complicated these days.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-25-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Not a shipboard radar, AWACS or E-2C Hawkeye.
    I thought that the AN/SPY-3 dual-band radar system could do the function of the AWACS within it's operating radius.
    The Dual Band Radar (DBR) is the first radar system in the U.S. Navy fleet capable of simultaneously operating over two frequency ranges (S-band and X-band), coordinated by a single resource manager.

It combines the functionality of the X-band AN/SPY-3 Multifunction Radar and the S-band Volume Surveillance Radar (VSR) to provide an unprecedented level of performance and capability to detect and track hostile targets.

AN/SPY-3, operating at X-band with high-accuracy, narrow beam width and wide frequency bandwidth, provides superior coverage and effective discrimination of low-altitude targets.

It also provides target illumination and uplink/downlink capabilities for SM-2 and Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles. Using S-band, VSR delivers effective, all-weather search capabilities via its high-power aperture, and narrow beam width, enabling it to accurately resolve and track targets.

FREQUENCY DIVERSITY AND RESOURCE SHARING

Many search and track functions, such as cued acquisition and precision track (providing high update rate, fire control quality data) can be allocated to either or both frequencies, automatically or through command and control direction.

Environmental phenomena diversely affect the SPY-3 and VSR radars, and the DBR's ability to utilize a multitude of frequencies in the two different operating bands dramatically mitigates these effects. The separate band radar arrays provide extensive search, track and multiple missile illumination capacity, which is essential in support of multi-target raid engagements.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-25-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I thought that the AN/SPY-3 dual-band radar system could do the function of the AWACS within it's operating radius.
    You completely miss the point.
    This radar protects the ship or task group against incoming aircraft and cruise missiles.

The AWACS and E-2C aircraft work with the fighters.
    Targets detected and tracked by the E-2C/AWACS are displayed on the fighter's radar display. Even the targets behind and beside them, regardless of range.
    This is a game changer compared to the old paradigm of see only one and be oblivious to all of the rest.

Boolit Grand Master

Stealthy, supersonic cruise capability without afterburner, meaning that you can actually
    do it for more than 3-5 minutes per fuel tank.

Far superior radar, integrated sensors systems. The system exchanges data with AWACS/
    JSTARS external battle management systems, giving the pilot huge advantages of sensor
    knowledge without lighting up your radar, which eliminates the advantage of stealth,
    like turning on a flashlight in a dark room.

Higher maintenance hours per flight hour, not a good thing, although they are getting this down.

Thrust vectoring means it can do maneuvers that are impossible to non-vector thrust fighters
    like the F16. Can point the nose at a target at low airspeed, low energy state, not possible with
    conventional aircraft. Integrated sensor systems means that the pilot is dramatically more
    capable of fighting effectively in a complex, multi-opponent environment.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Stealthy, supersonic cruise capability without afterburner, meaning that you can actually
    do it for more than 3-5 minutes per fuel tank.

Far superior radar, integrated sensors systems. The system exchanges data with AWACS/
    JSTARS external battle management systems, giving the pilot huge advantages of sensor
    knowledge without lighting up your radar, which eliminates the advantage of stealth,
    like turning on a flashlight in a dark room.

Higher maintenance hours per flight hour, not a good thing, although they are getting this down.

Thrust vectoring means it can do maneuvers that are impossible to non-vector thrust fighters
    like the F16. Can point the nose at a target at low airspeed, low energy state, not possible with
    conventional aircraft. Integrated sensor systems means that the pilot is dramatically more
    capable of fighting effectively in a complex, multi-opponent environment.

Bill
    Well stated on all points!

Boolit Master
    The point was the mention of the 2 years gestation for the U2.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

F35 is a pile of flying junk that has killed pilots!

Boolit Master

All new aircraft kill pilots until we learn their idiosincracies,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast